Shimano vs Campagnolo. A winner at last.

ChrisH

Who amongst you still wants to support a company that behaves like the Campag distributor is doing. Not me. Remember that the distributor is appointed by the manufacturer, so the manufacturer is bound by association with this action.

The below from the maruli.co.za website.

THE AUTHORISED SOUTH AFRICAN DISTRIBUTOR OF THIS PRODUCT IS UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO HONOUR THE MANUFACTURER?S GUARANTEES/WARRANTIES OR TO PROVIDE AFTER-SALES SERVICE

Bianchi, Campagnolo, Diadora, Fulcrum, ITM, Polar, Time

Guest Big H

En niemand wou ooit na my luister nie..... kempekkernoglia stink!!!!!!!!

Luckily for us Campy folks we rarely need to make use of our warranties. I'm also sure CWC will also take care of us in the off chance that something goes wrong.

I'd also like to see you try claim your warranty locally for any Shimano stuff that you import. I doubt very much that they will honour it.

Guest Big H

Focus op die probleem Velo .... moet nou nie soos 'n kempekker dink omdat jy in 'n hoek gedryf word nie.... gebruik jou brein, nie jou hipothalmus nie asseblief!!!!!!!

Watse probleem. Ek koop iets by CWC, dit breek. Ek vat dit terug en hulle vervang dit, of maak dit reg. 

Luckily for us Campy folks we rarely need to make use of our warranties. I'm also sure CWC will also take care of us in the off chance that something goes wrong.

I'd also like to see you try claim your warranty locally for any Shimano stuff that you import. I doubt very much that they will honour it.

Actually I don't have a problem with the agents refusing to honour the warranty. My problem is with them waving a great big legal stick at alternative suppliers. I don't like bully boys.

O well, I ride campy because I like it. I like everything about it, looks, feel ect. If something happens, what the hell, I will replace it because I just don't like shimano.

My LBS says getting any warrenty from Shimano, talking of products supplied by the local distributor, is a royal pain in the @$$.

...Actually I don't have a problem with the agents refusing to honour the warranty. My problem is with them waving a great big legal stick at alternative suppliers. I don't like bully boys.

There-in lies the rub, ja? Products imported through Internet-based distributors are deemed "grey" and are (apparently) violating distributorship agreements. The agents HAVE to wave sticks to protect their turf. Or become more competitive in the face of this new source of competition.

IF Marvuli is stopped from distributing locally, so what? TotalCycling, and a whole bunch of other I-based guys will continue to serve the market that is fed-up with paying (perceived or real) over-inflated prices. And Marvuli will find an alternative way of dodging the sticks.

The trade-off for the consumer is price vs. warranty: save a couple of rands here but have nowhere to go when something goes wrong. If something goes wrong. The likelyhood of that happening is relatively small & my guess is you'll probably damage the goods through crashing rather than material defects (exceptions do apply, naturally).

It might start hitting when insurers refuse to insure/pay out for goods not bought through official channels. But with no incentive for them, I don't think they'll go there soon.
EdoardoBianchi2007-05-21 00:39:13