New MTB - Help

Ratty

I've got a choice, replace almost every component on my current bike (the frame and wheels are great) or buy a complete new bike.  I'm going with the latter but have no idea which one to buy.

I've been looking at the women's specific ones and so far the only one I really like is the Specialized Stunt Jumper (Hardtail).  Only problem, they don't import them into South Africa.  They import the Womens Epic Comp which is a REALLY nice bike but I'm not sure if I want a full suspension and also its getting a bit pricey at R24000.

My questions are:

1.  Do I get a hard tail or full suspension bike? 

2.  Why are none of the nice hardtails imported into SA?

3.  What other brand's / bikes would you suggest?

My budget is up to R20000.  The majority of my riding is the races in and around the Western Cape.  If I ride for fun then I generally find as much singletrack and downhills as possible, not a fan of jeep tracks.

Hoping you guys can help!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two options from my side.

1.Buy a bike I just built up and take off the groupset and Fox 80 for your ex. bike XT (Hyd/XTR rear der.)

2.Get the Merida Mission 3000 (hardtail and dual in one)

Mario

mail me:

Ratty, if you are mainly in it for the fun, I would seriously consider a duallie. If you're a "win at all cost" racer, then look for the most expensive hardtail you can afford!!

Jokes aside, look at non-woman specific as well as they are sometimes just as good depending on your body shape. My new fav brand is Commencal and the Meta 4 is a really great duallie, in fact the Elite Mens Provincial was won on one a few weeks ago. A Dual suspension will give you more fun on that singletrack, but may be heavier, therefore you sacrifice some of your climbing ability.

The best advice I got when shopping around: try as many bikes as possible, as preferably real riding, not around the parking lot. I was convinced after riding the Meta 5.5 for an hour on singletrack. Also, the Giant's seem very nice and a lot of people rave about them

giant anthem - no contest. (oh and just gimme your addie if you are very short cos then i know where to go steal one!)

hardtail , dual in one ??? Please tell more ! I need to know . It is not a question of HT or DS , but what DS to get . If weight is a problem for you (the bike) then rather look at getting a road bike or ask Daemon for advice on cutting away half you saddle to save 5gr .

Ratty....it's simply GOT to be full-suspension if you say you like downhills and singletrack!

The added performance is well worth the small sacrifice in weight!

You might even consider going for a longer-travel bike like MichH.

5inches travel has become VERY usable these days.

One tip they have in Bicycling this month is that you must first learn to ride a hard tail properly before going DS. That way you don't let the bike do all the work.

I prefer the womens specific bikes because it saves me from making my handle bars narrower and putting a shorter stem on but its not an issue if I have to buy a mens rather.

So far two of you have mentioned the Giant Anthems.  Which one? (There are 5 models as far as I can see) and any idea on the prices? 

MichH, I was originally in it just for fun but my competitive side has taken over.  I've still got a long way to go but am working towards finishing higher up in races.  I've given up two of my other sports so that I can concentrate on my cycling. 

I was hoping to keep my current bike a bit longer and save up more for a really great bike but after having it in for repair 8 times already in less than a year I've had enough. It is awesome to ride when it works, unfortunately this isn't very often.

Titus MotoLite. 5inches travel front and back. Voted trailbike of the year 2yrs running!

I bought an '06 frame only last year, but they're now available as complete bikes with a decent spec for somewhere in the low 20's.

Speak to Shane at Bowman Cycles on 021-423-2527.

Fell in love with mine all over again on Saturday! Incredibly stable on technical descents, simply rips in singletrack, absolutely telepathic handling, climbs incredibly well....widely regarded as the best do-it-all bike money can buy.

Yes....I know I sound like a salesmen and no, they don't pay me to say that Big%20smile

20070521_071043_Knysna_075.jpg

Minty, will you stop posting pics like this.... my laptop is NOT waterproof and i don't think the boss will be too happy if the thing dies cos i've drooled all over it! Wink (you are soooo lucky it's wayyyyy too big for me... then again, you already know that don't you?)

Or look at a Merida Mission 2000 at below 17k. Sram gearing. Juicy 5 brakes, R7 fork, DT swiss wheels.

http://www.advancetraders.com.au/images/products/prod793.jpg

Yes smallpoke Wink

Ratty....of course if you intend to race harder and really move up the placings, then something with slightly less travel would be better suited, 3-4 inches.

Giant Anthem is probably the best bet below 20k in that dept. Can't help you with the pricing though.

You've gotta have a look at and ride as many bikes as possible and don't be in a rush to buy

Giant has a woman specific Anthem with same specs as the Anthem 1.

This is an awsome bike, both thumbs up!!