what energy drink do you use?

Zula

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Noche' date=' I've posted about this before, and in doing so I'm trying to save you some money. Personally, for training Game will sort you. Its about R40 a tin and for most of your training needs will do the job, same as its done for thousands and thousands of runners for years and years. The other stuff is too expensive to use on your ordinary training ride, unless its shortish ride and you use water.

Post ride- longish ones- I use FiT chocolate Duratrain, with an extra helping of Milo, half water half milk, slightly chilled to the point of ice forming. Now this stuff is so delicious it makes the pain worthwhile!

Then FiT for the occasional long training rides- its not cloyingly sweet, and it will satisfy your need to spend some money on expensive stuff.

And I have in interest in these products because I work for a sugar factory and some of my sugar probably ends up in these products.Big%20smile 
[/quote']

Just a question. Isn't Duratrain for recovery?

I think Carbotrain would be more appropriate for your long rides. On the website the show how to mix it for very long and longer rides.

I use Duratrain for recovery but only at stage races or when racing 2 days in a row, 200ml's taken within the hour after the race/stage (agree with having it as cold as possible).

Use Carbo Supreme and supagoo's on the ride!

Agree with Backward Ox - Steri Stumpie (chocolate!) is my drink of choice after 'normal' training rides!
BigBen2009-11-09 12:42:18

Exercise physiologist Lynne Kammer of the University of Texas and her team studied 12 trained cyclists -eight male and four female. In contrast to many sports nutrition studies, however, the exercise protocol was designed to reflect a typical exercise session. After a warm-up period, the subjects cycled for two hours at a comfortable work rate, rather than the more frequently seen test-to-exhaustion.

"Our goal was to compare whole grain cereal plus milk?which are ordinary foods?and sports drinks, after moderate exercise," said Kammer. "We wanted to understand their relative effects on glycogen repletion and muscle protein synthesis for the average individual. We found that glycogen repletion, or the replenishment of immediate muscle fuel, was just as good after whole grain cereal consumption and that some aspects of protein synthesis were actually better".

"Cereal and non-fat milk are a less expensive option than sports drinks. The milk provides a source of easily digestible and high quality protein, which can promote protein synthesis and training adaptations, making this an attractive recovery option for those who refuel at home".

The researchers concluded that, for amateur athletes and moderately physically active individuals who are trying to keep in shape, popping into the kitchen for a quick bowl of whole-grain cereal with a splash of skimmed milk may be a smarter move than investing in a high-priced sports drink.

Yeah i work there. Look to me its about finding a formula that works for you and when you go though a dip you try something new. Lucky for me i work at usn so i tried it and it sure works for me.Clap

Guest Agteros

no wonder cycling is such an expensive sport....How on earth does the marathon RUNNERS survive on water and Coke alone.... Amazing how severely a saddle under your bum change body physiology!

Yeah i work there. Look to me its about finding a formula?that works for?you and when you go though a dip you try something new. Lucky for me i work at usn so i tried it and it sure works for me.Clap

Epic Pro is the bomb smiley20.gif

Exercise physiologist Lynne Kammer of the University of Texas and her team studied 12 trained cyclists -eight male and four female. In contrast to many sports nutrition studies' date=' however, the exercise protocol was designed to reflect a typical exercise session. After a warm-up period, the subjects cycled for two hours at a comfortable work rate, rather than the more frequently seen test-to-exhaustion.
"Our goal was to compare whole grain cereal plus milk?which are ordinary foods?and sports drinks, after moderate exercise," said Kammer. "We wanted to understand their relative effects on glycogen repletion and muscle protein synthesis for the average individual. We found that glycogen repletion, or the replenishment of immediate muscle fuel, was just as good after whole grain cereal consumption and that some aspects of protein synthesis were actually better".
"Cereal and non-fat milk are a less expensive option than sports drinks. The milk provides a source of easily digestible and high quality protein, which can promote protein synthesis and training adaptations, making this an attractive recovery option for those who refuel at home".
The researchers concluded that, for amateur athletes and moderately physically active individuals who are trying to keep in shape, popping into the kitchen for a quick bowl of whole-grain cereal with a splash of skimmed milk may be a smarter move than investing in a high-priced sports drink.[/quote']

Interesting reading Mrmed...Thanks!

Game is the only thing you need. The article that Mrmed posted is spot on. You want something that will hydrate and provide a little bit of energy, and Game is it. It's isotonic if mixed in the right method. Pretty high in sugar (which is what you want due to the fact that it is the energy source of choice behind fats). If in doubt, read the back of the tubs. USN, Cytomax etc fall under homeopathic medicines and as a result is unregulated by any scientific authority

So ive heard but wen i get sum bucks again im definately gona try it. Im trying the new BCAA Vitargo and thats really making a differance.Big%20smile

The USN dudes have quite a few researchers that look after their endurance range of products, they even make sure that any substance or formula seen as illegal or banned does not get used in their formula.

Epic Pro, my drink of choice for the type of riding I do contains Pepto Pro as well as Virtago and sustains me well enough for extended hours.

Game is the only thing you need. The article that Mrmed posted is spot on. You want something that will hydrate and provide a little bit of energy' date=' and Game is it. It's isotonic if mixed in the right method. Pretty high in sugar (which is what you want due to the fact that it is the energy source of choice behind fats). If in doubt, read the back of the tubs. USN, Cytomax etc fall under homeopathic medicines and as a result is unregulated by any scientific authority

[/quote']

Clap

I use good old fructose and Maltodextron - core ingrediants in many drinks BTW. Also very cheap to mix like GAME.

Another thing, dump the old sugar and switch to fructose in your food / drinks (coffee ; pronutro ; etc). You will be amazed at how much more energy you will have as it is slow releasing.

The USN dudes have quite a few researchers that look after their endurance range of products' date=' they even make sure that any substance or formula seen as illegal or banned does not get used in their formula.

Epic Pro, my drink of choice for the type of riding I do contains Pepto Pro as well as Virtago and sustains me well enough for extended hours.[/quote']

Oh, I meant independent authorities. It isn't so much what they can and cannot place in the formula, it is also what they claim the formula can do. They should have to follow the same guidelines pharmaceuticals do when they are formulating a drug. There is a scientific method and basis that must be adhered to.