How's This!!

roadrulesok

cycling is very much a personal satisfaction thing and most of us cycle for the enjoyment of it. we are not out there to win the prize money etc, it's for personal fulfilment and achievement. I personally half died on the DC and at the last big hill outside swellendam, my team car offered to take me to the top of the hill and for me to ride from there. They told me I was dilerious? and looked in a very bad way. I said no, I don't want a lift, because then I would know I didn't finish it. I waited 10 minutes and pushed that 1.4kms up that last hill and cramped and free wheeled home. I can say that I did it on my own steam. That means something to me and those I tell. My point is, for that guy/girl who cheated, (and I am sure there were a few) they only cheated themselves and we should let that take from the joy and achievement we get out of cycling. So I wouldn't recommend a "name and shame" for us to feel better about ourselves. Lets just go out there and enjoy our cycling and be satisfied that we have achieve something very special to finish a DC on our own steam.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was my first DC, at 180km I cramped in every muscle worse than ever before...cudn't ride anymore...but I wasn't gonna quit. I borrow sumones slip slops from the team car, walked up the hills and free wheeled down for 5km, I then relised that at that speed I'd not make the cut off anyway...so eventually jumped in the team car. A team mate offered me his medal afterwards, but I didnt want it, cuz I wud mean absolutely nothing if I hadn't completed the race myself...I cant understand why ppl cheat at that level...no1 really cares whether you have a finishers medal or not, it's a personal acheivement. After all you're the only one who knows just how hard it was for you to acheive it.

cycling is very much a personal satisfaction thing and most of us cycle for the enjoyment of it. we are not out there to win the prize money etc' date=' it's for personal fulfilment and achievement. I personally half died on the DC and at the last big hill outside swellendam, my team car offered to take me to the top of the hill and for me to ride from there. They told me I was dilerious? and looked in a very bad way. I said no, I don't want a lift, because then I would know I didn't finish it. I waited 10 minutes and pushed that 1.4kms up that last hill and cramped and free wheeled home. I can say that I did it on my own steam. That means something to me and those I tell. My point is, for that guy/girl who cheated, (and I am sure there were a few) they only cheated themselves and we should let that take from the joy and achievement we get out of cycling. So I wouldn't recommend a "name and shame" for us to feel better about ourselves. Lets just go out there and enjoy our cycling and be satisfied that we have achieve something very special to finish a DC on our own steam. [/quote']

Fully agree with you and this is why I cycle