indoor training once again

i know this topic has been discussed over and over,

what i would like to know is, if i do a 50min season 3 times a week, i.e, monday, wednesday, friday, and a 2-3 hour ride on sunday, should that be ok to keep the fitness up during winter, or should i add in another training season during the week?

these weekly IDT training seasons are moderate intervals!

also roughly, a 25km ride on the IDT is it almost the same as riding a 25km on the road?

Tough to answer - your proposed plan will maintain A level of fitness but dependent on where you are now I cannot tell you if it would maintain current fitness.

All I would say is make the sessions as intense as you can - moderate intervals may not be the best way to use your time.

Maybe do a 2 x 20 at 85-90% and then another day do a 6 x 5 at as ahrd as you can go for that duration. You could split them with a hard tempo 60 mins @ 80-85% with some shorter surges for 1-2 mins etc etc

thanx my small problem is, i don't have a HRM yet, so have to just go with instinct if you can call it.

All I would say is make the sessions as intense as you can - moderate intervals may not be the best way to use your time.

I have to agree with this statement. Go hard Monday to Friday indoors, or whatever days you train, spend your weekends enjoying the outdoors on leisurely long rides... Embarrassed

Guest Michelle
1hill@aTime : That's not necessarily a bad thing (not having a HRM)... going on how you feel is probably a far better indication of how hard you should be pushing Wink

I have to agree with this statement. Go hard Monday to Friday indoors' date=' or whatever days you train, spend your weekends enjoying the outdoors on leisurely long rides... Embarrassed
[/quote']

thanx guy so you say, monday to friday or four days a week, won't be an overtraining situtation, pantini you so right with that, luckily i have a few buds on mxit to keep me company.Big%20smile

michelle i rode a 50minute session last night and pushed as much as i could which, i thought was pretty hard, legs are fragile today, so i think it's deffinately working. i think.Smile

Guest Michelle
1hill@aTime : Also, your last question... an indoor trainer session is equivalent to a longer session on the road (no freewheeling on the indoor trainer Wink)... if I remember correctly, 45 minutes is the same as doing around an hour on the road...

It's also a good way to work on increasing your Lactate threshold depending on the length and intensity of your intervals...

Agree with Bike Max...lot's of intervals or if you find turbo training boring like me...go spinning!! VERY NICE!!
AuctionLamb2007-05-29 03:54:06

Guest Michelle

1hill@aTime :  Try doing those intervals that BikeMax mentioned (the 2 x 20minutes)... your legs should feel like they're about to start burning but you're able to maintain it for the full 20 minutes.  Hmmm... maybe BikeMax can describe it better Embarrassed

1hill@aTime : That's not necessarily a bad thing (not having a HRM)... going on how you feel is probably a far better indication of how hard you should be pushing Wink

I go with that. I have not used mine in a long time and listen to how i feel i am riding better and enjoying it more. (got this tip from one of Widgets earlier post's)

Hey OneHill, what type of idt do you have?  And do you have a rear-wheel speed sensor on your bike?

If you have a magnetic trainer, then you can set up these intervals quite accurately because a magnetic trainer has a linear speed vs power curve.

So, this is what you could do:

1. Set up a standard process for putting your bike on the trainer - same tyre pressure and same number of turns on the tightening knob.

2. Do a 20 min TT as hard as you can - warm up nicely.

3. Get your average speed for the 20 minutes.  Approx 95% of your 20 min speed will be your functional threshold speed (call it fts).

4. Now you can work out your power (speed) levels.

Tuesday: warmup, then do 6 intervals of 4 minutes at around 115% to 120% of your fts.  4 minutes recovery between intervals.

Wednesday: 90 minutes of 85% - 90% fts

Thursday: warmup 2 x 20 minutes of 95% of fts with 10 minutes recovery.

Couple of nice longer tempo (2.5 hours) rides on weekends and you'll be in pretty good shape.
bruce2007-05-29 04:25:28