Racing in Port Elizabeth

OcTaLL

I would like to get all the hubbers in PE's input on this.

We are trying to start some form of MTB racing in PE around the NMMU campus. We are trying to work on a circuit of about 5km on the campus, which will be around and inside the campus.

The possiblity is that the race will be in the evenings, as there are sufficient lighting we can race at night, around 6PM or so. The race will be over 5 or so laps, entry to a minimum, eg. R10-R20 per race. once or twice a week, or/and over a weekend.

Th racing will be for all ages and all cats.

What do you guys think. since there is no racing on the road in PE we are trying to get something going here.

I'd like to get the input of all cyclists in PE so if you know of anybody that isn't on the hub, tell them to get in contact with me at esteenkamp@marvuli.com

This type of racing started in New York and has since it started gained alot of interest, just imagine in one race doing single track, some ver nice drop offs(it can be bypassed by the not so daring riders). For those of you that know the campus, we are thinking of having it around the rugby fields, back to the main buildings, around the back and on to the library and Kraal.

We can also have it in a series of races.

P.S, Roadies get a MTB!

OcTaLL, I'm not even CLOSE to PE, but it might be a good idea to speak to the people at Mintek in Jhb (ask scotty for the contact details).  They do something like that and might point you in the right direction.

have you got some contacts details for me, thanks, I think if one cans start this it will be really nice if you could go race a small race once or twice a week, same as it is in Belgium

OcTaLL, pm scotty for contact details.  I do however think that 1-2 races per week is a bit hihg, maybe make it every fortnight.

Hey

Someone is way ahead of you! There is currently a night race already being held at Cyclo Pro Shop, at the Elliot centre of William Moffet, every Thursday from 5:45 sharp! There are three legs of which two have been completed and the last is on the 7th June. All are welcome! The lap is 4.5km and riders get an hour to do as many as possible. Maybe if you mention your idea about having something at NMMU on Thursday evening you could get some help or at least some ideas from the locals.

"the blind leading the blind" . i see EP had a number of riders taking part in SA Champs, surely there is some sort of racing going on in the province. last year the SA were in PE next year in ELondon, it can't all that bad as OcTall makesit out to be

Cycling in PE used to be at the forefront of SA cycling years ago, in most cats the SA champ came from here. There was racing once a week on the road. Now there is racing once in 3 months if we're lucky. I also would like to race more, I had to start mountain bike just to keep racing in PE. When we race here there is only about 20 guys in the bunch and that is all ages. And always only 3 or 4 that actually race, the rest sucks wheelDirty_Harry2007-06-05 04:31:24

came up the ep herald one year and the organisers made sure that the 'local's won everthing (even the non licensed team event, where the total time of your 1st 3 team members over the line counted) left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. you guys have everything up there. country roads close to the city. here in CT we have to travel far out of town to race on roads without traffic lights etc etc 

• 2 months later...

Hi Octall

If you are in the age group 30+ then there are quite a few rides. Have a look at this site.  http://www.masterspe.co.za/

Also the PE Club Criterium 2007 at <?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> NMMU PE

Date:  19  August  2007    @   09H00
           25  August  2007    @   15H00
           26  August  2007    @   09H00
           1  September 2007 @   15H00

Race Distance :  1 Hour and 2 laps <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

PM me your email addy and I'll send you the email confirmation i received on the 15.08.07 with the entry attached