giro stage 16

Tumbleweed

didn't watch it (will try catch the highlights this morn), but from a read on the wires it seemed di luca may be a little worried - on yesterday's stage: "When I saw how steep it is I thought it was impossible to ride up it. The middle five kilometres are terrible and never seem to end" - but he reckons reckons today could hold the answers: "It's the last key stage of the race and the climb to the finish is the hardest and steepest of the whole Giro".

is he gonna hold on? 

holy roller2007-05-29 23:09:11

Was Di Luca not talking about todays stage 17? - the Zoncolan?

Yesterday wasnt that difficult if one looks at some of the other profiles, especially today.

It was a fairly straight forward day yesterday, a bit of inclement weather had everyone grabbing their rain jackets, but then Stephano Garzelli surprised everyone and broke from the bunch, rode 40 odd kilometers on his own up a cat 3 climb, stayed ahead of a chasing bunch which included Rubiera and won in a spectacular fashion taking back nearly 7 minutes on the main contenders Di Luca, Mazzoleni,Schleck, Cunego and Simoni who didnt seem concerned at all and never tried to chase him back.

I think today will be the biggie,the Zoncolan is the toughest climb in Europe and if Di Luca can hang on today he will win the Giro.

Cunego has been making a big noise in the Italian press about today and telling them to "watch" him - so lets see.

A great break and ride by Garzelli, but I hope he left something in the tank for today.

De Luca will ride a 34/29 gear ratio. in the Giro del Capo stage at Bloemendal some riders used a 39/25, and that was steep. Just imagine this, you must dope to get to the top, not to win.

Stage 17 is going to be a gutbuster.

Those are mountain bike gears, how many guys going to use triple chainrings today?

It was a great ride by Garzelli but they let him go because he was something like 20mins down on Di Luca. Recon he (DD) was going the min. so he has plenty gas in the tank for today. Watch out for Mazzoleni today.

Was Di Luca not talking about todays stage 17? - the Zoncolan?

you're right, widgetEmbarrassedwas reading the story back to front (actually bottom to top) as i said, i didn't see the stage and it was rather early when i postedSleepy 

It was a great ride by Garzelli but they let him go because he was something like 20mins down on Di Luca. Recon he (DD) was going the min. so he has plenty gas in the tank for today. Watch out for Mazzoleni today.

Absolutely.

Garzelli rode well though.Caught up to the front group and then just rode away from them.Kept the gap at 40sec.

I like his style.

Watched the last 50km on Rai (channel 93)last night.Great photography.

It was bloody cold for sure.

Did Bettini change his bike because of a mechanical problems or for a bike with easier gears?

On Rai Tv Channel 93 today from 18h30 -20h30.A must watch stage!!!!!!!!

My apologies!Its on from 17h30 - 19h30!!Embarrassed

De Luca will ride a 34/29 gear ratio. in the Giro del Capo stage at Bloemendal some riders used a 39/25' date=' and that was steep. Just imagine this, you must dope to get to the top, not to win.[/quote'] Barend het met 'n 39/23 by Bloemendal opgery... en 39ste gefinish!!!!ClapLOL

De Luca will ride a 34/29 gear ratio. in the Giro del Capo stage at Bloemendal some riders used a 39/25' date=' and that was steep. Just imagine this, you must dope to get to the top, not to win.[/quote'] Barend het met 'n 39/23 by Bloemendal opgery... en 39ste gefinish!!!!ClapLOL

I see Simoni rides a similar gear today as well - not too many will use a triple.

What interests me is their cadence, the majority of the climbers still tick it over at around 60 revs per minute even on these monster mountains.

Watch Piepoli, Simoni and the light climbers today, they just tick it over and make it look so flippen easy.

Anyway that 34/29 gear sounds about right for me on the flatsBig%20smile  never mind the hills, the way I am going I will soon have a bigger back sprocket than a front one.!Big%20smile