Pedals: Look vs Shimano

wonduhboy

Maybe the hub can redeem itself and help me out with this:

I currently ride on Look PP 296's, but my new bike comes with Shimano Dura aces - so... are the shimano's any good? how good? any problems?

Any (valid) comments are welcome.

Wonderoke, buy the new 2007 Dura-Ace pedals (make sure they are the new ones when buying). They are the Best. You ride the best equipment so complement it with the best pedals that have been designed with this in mind.

Check out the Shimano.com website. There you will find a list of upgrades and what the new pedals look like. I think the major difference is with the top of the pedals. The old plastic used to wear  quickly and squeek a lot.

I find the Shimano pedals are great just have a problem with the cleats, they need to make them stronger.  

But it could just be me that i keep snapping them.

The new Shimano pedals look like this but obviously with different internals and writing on.

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/atomic-cycle/cabinet/00224810/img30847388.jpg

I would also go for DA. Great Q-factor adjusment in the cleat.

I bought myself a pair of those Ultegras yesterday. Still sealed in the bag so can't comment yet on what they are like. I made my decision after reading the reviews at RoadBikeReview.com/

I got an Ultegra pair from CWC, for R520 but these came without cleats wheras from a shop they usually include cleats in the box, so just add R120 (CWC price) for cleats and then compare.

Dura Ace from CWC is R1450 (presumably for pedals only) so there is quite a price diifs there.

I got an Ultegra pair from CWC' date=' for R520 but these came without cleats wheras from a shop they usually include cleats in the box, so just add R120 (CWC price) for cleats and then compare.

Dura Ace from CWC is R1450 (presumably for pedals only) so there is quite a price diifs there.
[/quote']

If it's the ones on the front page of CWC then it's the old models. The new ones have got awider body and metal contact plate.

OLD

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/images/specials/151205_1724pm_ultegra%20pedal.jpg

NEW

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/atomic-cycle/cabinet/00224810/img30847388.jpg

Wundaboy I have used Look, Time and even the Look KEO pedals but i found the Shimano pedals the best. The are very comfy and they have great power transfer. This coming from a total Campy fan. Always been given a hard time, Campy with Shimano pedals. 

I've just put the ultegra pedals on my new ultra torque cranks. Embarrassed Don't tell Big H, we'll never here the end of it.

Wundaboy I have used Look' date=' Time and even the Look KEO pedals but i found the Shimano pedals the best. The are very comfy and they have great power transfer. This coming from a total Campy fan. Always been given a hard time, Campy with Shimano pedals. [/quote']

Thanks Joss! Think I'll have to give them a try.

So anyone know how much Shimano cleats cost?