Commuting and racing...

HomerSimpson

This apropos an article that appeared in last night's Cape Argus discussing present and future traffic disruptions due to improvements on the N2 etc.  It was mentioned that in the Bellville area they are planning to "re-do" the Symphony way corridor to include bicycle lanes, proper sidewalks etc, in order to "encourage non-motorised transport".  As I did my short commute to work this morning I was wondering:

If we were all able to commute SAFELY to work (and this in the case where the one-way commute is at least say 15 to 20 km), would this impact on the numbers of people doing funrides/races on weekends?  So if you do 200 k's a week commuting, would you still ride as much over weekends?  Just wondering....(Flip side would be, if you could commute, would you?  Or just train and race?)

Dangerous roads is one deterrent for commuting. the other is shower facilities at the destination. I would not be commuting if we did not have a shower at work.

And it does not stop me from riding over the weekend.

Possibly, as people discover the possiblities of their physical fitness. I remember back in the days when I used to commute that I hardly did any training. My commute was my training (40km p/day) and I just used to add in a few interval sessions against busses to boost the fitness.

I still believe it's quality & not quantity that determines your fitness level.

I commute from Durbanville to CT CBD and it does not stop me from riding every d@mn race I can find!  It helps that I have showers at the office otherwise it would not be on.

I know at least 5 other people at work who also commute, but we are all cycling nuts.  Not your regular commuters.

Safety remains the major issue for us. Aggressive driver and unsafe corridors (Koeberg road near the Makro turnoff and the narrow Marine drive sections).  If that was sorted (as well as the bit we have to go on the highway!) it would make commuting much more viable.  A continuous shoulder/bike line on MArine drive would be GREAT.  Table View guys would also appreciate it.

I commute in winter as often as possible, but not in summer, because the ride in to work is just not far enough. If anything, I think more people commuting will just grow the sport in SA, across the board. Whether those people do funrides or not depends on their financial means, access to transport (particularly if commuting is a primary means of transport) etc. But there should be some noticable increase.

I do however think we are quite far away from reaching a critical mass in terms of commuting - if I see one or two other people riding into work in the morning I am lucky. Once that critical mass is achieved, issues such as safety will be addressed more readily. So for now, I think we just have to pray for more fuel price increases to get more people out of cars, and onto bikes.

Would love to commute. Only problem is I would only manage to see one client a day in Cape Town as officers in BlackHeath area!Big%20smile Would improve fitness dramatically (50 km to work and back (from Somerset West)and at least 200km every day) and have the opposite effect on productivity! But it's all about priorities right ?LOL

I already commute almost daily...makes a huge difference in your fitness and training.. I'd surely vote for a safer route though...

The one reason that did pose the question was because I am aware of people like fatcyclist that started the commute and do race (and prpbably benefitted greatly from the daily commute)...I was wondering about the other 90%, the guys who, like me, will just do the odd afternoon a week if time permits, and then ride on Saturday/Sunday.

(as well as the bit we have to go on the highway!)

Hey WH, any reason why you don't ride on the road past the harbour which bypasses the highway bit?

I generally would have no interest in commuting on a bicycle, besides the fact I am generally AT work at 5am - I am far too comfortable in my airconditioned box with comfortable seats and a good stereo system.

Guest Big H

What would you prefer... a congested cycling lane full of snot nosed kids and fat women on Makro Raleighs or a congested road full of educated and well mannered motorists. Sponsor a sign through ShanH's sign campaign and we might have well mannered motorists soon.... even in our lifetime!!!!!!!

(as well as the bit we have to go on the highway!)

Hey WH' date=' any reason why you don't ride on the road past the harbour which bypasses the highway bit?
[/quote']

Yip, I sometimes ride through the harbour, but mostly not.  I fell badly going over those railwaylines as they are very exposed and slippery as soap when it rains!OuchDead

I got stopped by a traffic cop earlier this year on my way out of CT on the highway bit after the bridge before the Woodstock turnoff.  He asked me where I was going and if I use it often.  I told him I took the Paardeneiland turnoff and he said that's OK, as long as I don't go onto the real N1 (where the speed limit goes up to 120km/h) after the Paardeneiland turnoff.  I don't like it, but it is pretty safe and you don't get pulled off for jumping the 4-stop (mate of mine got stopped in the harbour!)Tongue

Would love to do it again.  About 10 years ago I worked in the CBD of C/T and commuted between Brackenfell and C/T on a daily basis (ja ja crazy woman all by myself).  Left me with ? 90 odd kms a day.  I miss that. Made a huge difference in my racing as well.

Now I work in a indrustial area - wouldn't consider it now at all. And the fact that we don't have showers at work Wink

Hi HomerSimpson. I think train and race will be the probable. How is that Cannondale coming. You should post a pic when she is up and running.

BigH

Snotnosed kids will become cyclists. And what is wrong with fat woman.

Is it because you are so skinny?