Drop in performance

lack of concentration

lack of motivation

little desire to ride

Getting irritated easilly

Low resistence to colds and flu

Rapid weight drop

etc

Very unlikely you will be clinically overtrained - I know you have been traiing hard from your various posts and new programme etc but more likely you are just feeling fatigued from the increased intesnity (we see this a lot) - cut yourself a little slack while you adjust to the new workload and then watch the performance improve.

I have not seen real overtraining on less than 20 hours per week (and usually much more)

Overtraining (overtraining syndrome, staleness, systemic overtraining) is the result of many weeks of exceeding the athlete?s physiologic limits and can result in weeks or months of diminished performance - symptoms normally resolve in 6-12 weeks but may continue much longer or recur if athletes return to hard training too soon. It involves mood disturbances, muscle soreness/stiffness, and changes in blood chemistry values, hormone levels, and nocturnal urinary catecholamine excretion.

Stress factors such as the monotony of a training program and an acute increase in training program intensity lasting more than a few days increase the risk of development of overtraining. On the other hand, heavy training loads appear to be tolerated for extensive periods of time if athletes take a rest day every week, and alternate hard and easy days of training.

http://www.cptips.com/ovrtrng.htm

vir my is dit wanneer my vrou begin om my te ontneem van sekere voorregte.

Ek kannie te veel in detail ingaan want hier is nog ongetroude laaities en partykeer word dit selfs vir kindervermaak gebruik om die clows te watch.

Thanks for the responses.

I just thought i'd ask since I mentioned one point to a friend and the first words that came out of his mouth was "overtraining".

In that instance I was telling him how during my 2nd little benchmark test(a 10km TT) I couldn't get my heartrate up as high as i did the first time a month earlier. Still managed to drop 45secs on my time though.

Last night 1hr45 into a 2hr tempo ride I was taking strain trying to get my HR above 145 on a flat road. Also, my resting hr was very high this morning. I mean the lowest so far has been 45, a day or two after a hard ride it'll sit at about 53-54. This morning was jumping around the mid-60s.

I suspect it's just fatigue as Bikemax said. I have never ever in my life ridden even remotely as much as I am now so I figured my body will take a bit more strain as I start moving out of base and into some specific training.

20hrs? At the moment only pushing about 13-14hrs a week.....don't laugh! Embarrassed

Drop in performance

lack of concentration

lack of motivation

little desire to ride

Getting irritated easilly

Low resistence to colds and flu

Rapid weight drop

etc

I've got all these symptoms excpect the "little desire to ride".  But then thats because I'm over worked and don't get to do enough training.

Interesting article:

Thanks for the responses.

I just thought i'd ask since I mentioned one point to a friend and the first words that came out of his mouth was "overtraining".

In that instance I was telling him how during my 2nd little benchmark test(a 10km TT) I couldn't get my heartrate up as high as i did the first time a month earlier. Still managed to drop 45secs on my time though.

Last night 1hr45 into a 2hr tempo ride I was taking strain trying to get my HR above 145 on a flat road. Also' date=' my resting hr was very high this morning. I mean the lowest so far has been 45, a day or two after a hard ride it'll sit at about 53-54. This morning was jumping around the mid-60s.

I suspect it's just fatigue as Bikemax said. I have never ever in my life ridden even remotely as much as I am now so I figured my body will take a bit more strain as I start moving out of base and into some specific training.

20hrs? At the moment only pushing about 13-14hrs a week.....don't laugh! Embarrassed

[/quote']

Minty - suppressed HR is simply a symptom of fatigue. The fact that you rode faster is the best indicator that you are not overtrained. In fact this is one of the main reasons why HR is flawed as a training intensity measure - guys will often keep trying to achieve target HR despite fatigue and in so doing will bury themselves.

High RHR may indicate you are fighting something as has been said.

Keep a watch on performance as closely as you can and when you feel or see a drop here then it is time to ease off for a day or two and recover.

All sounds normal and good otherwise to me.

BikeMax2007-06-01 05:22:21