MTB Newbie questions

NomadKP

Hi,

I'm absolutely clueless about MTB but I know I wanna do it.  All I know is I'm spending too much time in malls and cafes during weekends and too little time outside jhb.  I don't wanna bike on roads because I don't wanna get run over by cars and trucks and I don't wanna run or hike because I like speed.  Hehehe...  Hence, I've concluded that mtb might be a good sport to take up.

Question is, what should I buy and how much would it cost me?  I know bikes are expensive and people would recommend buying something in the region of R3000, but if I can get away with a sub-R2000 bike, I'd go with that.

I don't wanna get into competitive or extreme stuff.  Just wanna have an excuse to go out of town on weekends and will most likely stick to beginners or intermediate stuff for now.

What else should I be getting in addition to the bike (helmet, of course)?  Can I mtb with my cargo or track pants or do I need cycling shorts?  Do I need gloves and leg and arm warmers?  Is a R100 helmet any good?

Looking forward to your replies.

Kevin
NomadKP2007-06-01 05:18:44

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All you gonna get for that price is a second hand bike. They come up every now and then. One was sold here for R1000 the other day.

wow, that was fast...  thanks for the quick reply.

Would you recommend a second-hand bike for a beginner?  I saw some R900 Dunlop and Raleigh bikes at Game yesterday, but I'm guessing those are crap, right?

You will break the onese from the department stores and they do not come in the correct sizes. You need to get measured CORRECTLY before you buy. Do not settle for a "you are almost as tall as my friend and he rides a size XYZ" measurement.

Second hand bikes are the best way to get in. You can get decent parts for alot cheaper then new ones.

i always tell newbies to budget about R3000-R3500. that way you can get a decent entry-level bike with a a half-decent shock (R2500 and R3000) and components, and spend the rest of extras like helmets, tools, saddle bags, etc. if you're gonna go the second-hand route, take someone who is a mtber with you, otherwise you could get ripped. stay away from game, big stores. most lbs hate it when you bring a broken bike bought from one of these stores. also have a look at sportsmanwarehouse. my local one has a decent in-house wrencher.

Don't buy a department store MTB. Go to bikeshops and ask what they have for your budget. Make a spreadsheet and compare. I also think a bike under R3000 is most likely going to provide you with more frustration than fun (there could be exceptions). Additional equipment: Helmet (not the R100 special at Makro). Water bottles & cages OR Hydration pack (more expensive than water bottles). Saddlebag, shoes and pedals (if you want to go with clip-in pedals (well worth it). Gloves, cycling shorts (you do get baggy cycling shorts with padding). Glasses. And all the nice goodies in your local cycle shop...MTBing is SO MUCH fun. Good choice of sport!

Ek het ook 'n vraag: Hoekom val ek so baie?

Want jy vergeet om te draai as daar klippe in jou pad is?LOL

o' date=' ja, thnx, moet dit onthou. Embarrassed [/quote']

Almal val een of ander tyd, maar ons doen dit weer en weer omdat dit SO LEKKER is.

ok you lot, i ride a R2000 schwinn mesa and it suits me fine. now that that is off my chest here are a few tips from my side:

- ONLY buy from lbs (lbs = local bike shop) whether you buy new or second hand. they will (should) ensure that you get the right size and help you get correctly set up.

- use a R100 helmet on a R100 head and a R500 helmet on a R500 head (etc). the important thing to remember about supermarket helmets is that no one in the shop cares if they fall etc so you aren't guaranteed of their integrity from the moment you buy it.

- get sports sunglasses. not only do they help sunglasses wise, but they also keep dirt etc from your eyes. imagine no glasses and you are bolting downhill, turn a corner and there is a branch.... not a good idea

- i'd recommend SPD pedals and mtb shoes - they tend to be a bit tougher than tekkies so if (when) you fall they will give better protection

- get cycling shorts - the chamois (padding) in them help make the ride more comfy

- water bottles (and cages), a tubby bag, a spare tube and puncture kit and a pump are essential

- work out some form of ID to carry with you - a laminated card or a "buddy band" or such like

- remember the most important thing of all - HAVE FUN!!!!!

Almal val een of ander tyd, maar ons doen dit weer en weer omdat dit SO LEKKER is.

...omdat MTBing SO LEKKER is.Tongue

...omdat MTBing SO LEKKER is.Tongue

My rug is nog steeds seer en dis nou 2 weke. Maar klink die naweek weer op die outjie!

Cyclelab has a Trek 4300 on special for R2750 - which seems like fairly good value for money. I'll recommend getting a pair of padded shorts - bike saddles are a lot harder than they used to be in high school. Also - toolkit, spare tube, saddle bag, water bottle, and helmet. Clip-in pedals are cool too, but you'll have to budget for shoes and pedals extra.

Maybe stop by your local shop and have a look at all the cool toys and goodies.... then kiss your budget goodbye!!!

Nice entry level bike is the Giant Rincon.  I had great fun on mine and although I didn't look after it at all, I didn't have a single problem with it.  They are about R2800.  The Giant Boulder also seems to be really popular, cheaper than the Rincon.

Good luck and have fun!!!  Just a warning, if you get addicted, it gets expensive.  I started like you wanting a nice cheap entry level bike, then moved up to a +- R10000 bike and now I have a R20000+ bike.

Jy het BAIE hard geval FanieFiets. Dit sal tyd vat. Willehond het nou nog pyne van sy val op daai draai. Sterkte en vat dit rustig.

PokerFace2007-06-01 06:20:07