RIP Alan van Heerden

rory21

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always a shock when people die unnaturally.

Particularly strange that I watched him on a taped run of Supercycling this afternoon.

WTF???!!! A shocker!

My condolences. After all his troubles, it looked like he was getting

over them and then this happens...

was saddened when i heard about it. didn't know the man personally, but know a lot of older guys who did. RIP, alan.

WTF???!!! A shocker!My condolences. After all his troubles' date=' it looked like he was gettingover them and then this happens...

[/quote']

yeah, kinda the sentiment i've heard from a lot of people. very sad.

Alan van Heerden

Date of Birth
11/12/1953

Won the World's Veteran Championship' date=' Austria 1989,1995;

Colours: Springbok Colours 12 times between 1974-89, Springbok Colours

as Manager of Springbok team 1989; won 3 gold medals, 2 silver medals

at World Motor Games, Australia.

[/quote']

and Giro D'Italia stage

(but demoted after they found out he was a Saffie. He still won it though :-) )

Many hours in the saddle either racing against one another or just training together you were always a champion and friend. Off the bike you lent a helping hand to the younger riders. You will always be remembered as "The Idol" and will I miss you, my china.

R I P

My Boy !, We will miss you ,( sniff ) all my condolences to the family. You are a legend that will live in our hearts for all time.

This is so sad.

Glenn you, Rod ,Tony and Alan were the heroes we all wanted to be, Alan was the "Idol" and for you to join this forum to share you sentiments truly reflects on the great he was ,he was an inspiration to many a young man and cyclists all round, he will be sorely missed.

I had the privilege to work with Alan a couple of years back. I can clearly remember how clients would hang around the shop only wanting to speak to Alan or the Idol.

One particular incident I will never forget, it was a quite cape winters day we were all standing around the till point chatting and this lady walked in with her son in a wheel chair. Nothing to Alan, he walked straight up to the youngster and said, so young man what bike are we going to ride.

This little boys face lit up and pointed to a bike, Alan lifted him out the chair and off they went for a ride around the car park. That is only one of so many stories I will cherish. The club kids loved hanging around the shop after school listening to all Alan race days.

Condolences to the Family

RIP Bud