RIP Alan van Heerden

rory21

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Idol still holds that place in my mind as the Primo bike racer.

Bike always clean, white bar tape before the rest of us had a clue.

Such style on the bike, you never saw him rocking side to side.

Pure winners attitude. Jokes and fun off the bike, win at all costs on the bike.

This hurts.

The Idol still holds that place in my mind as the Primo bike racer.

Bike always clean' date=' white bar tape before the rest of us had a clue.

Such style on the bike, you never saw him rocking side to side.

Pure winners attitude. Jokes and fun off the bike, win at all costs on the bike.

This hurts. [/quote']

So true CliveDs, am sitting at home thinking about all the laughs we had at the shop. No one could tell a story like Alan did, a story was never a story unless he did all the actions so you got the whole picture.

Alan lived life to the fullest.

Real sadCry

This is truly sad. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

RIP Alan, my thoughts and prayers are with all your family and friends.

a truelly sad lossCry to S.A. cycling ! R.I.P and may the wind always be now at your back.......................

Even here in Belgium, we're devestated by the news of Alan passing away. He was a good friend to us when we lived there 25 years agoo, competing in the races together with my husband Alain Van Hoornweder (the real time computer team)

Alain en Kristel Van Hoornweder. kristel2009-12-15 15:30:30

I only got to know him in he last year or so.

What a man.

Only after many years he realized and recognized the value of life.

I remembered watching him on the box riding, costantly having a fight with my dad about watching cycling or Rugby.

I can not remember a cycling broadcast where he wasn't on the box.

All of us wanted to be like him..

Alan I hope you had the time to make right that was wrong and that you had no regrets when you past on..

I belive that this will be so and that every one of us will have the opportunity to do so before we pass on.

R.I.P. IDOL.

We will miss you my boy..

this is so so sad. bought my first bike when I was about 10, a bmx, from the Idol when he had the shop on Louis Botha. Felt like a king just being in the same room as him.   

then I had the absolute privilege for racing with him on the road and track towards the end of his pro career. Like everybody has said, he really was the Idol- looked so effortless and classy on his bike and always a beautiful girl close by.

then in later years i will never forget how he could sell Colnago's to everybody in the Northern Suburbs, making you feel like he was giving you the most special deal ever and that you really really deserved the bike.

RIP

Such sad news, he was an inspiration to so many young cyclists. Still remember his shop in Bramley when I first started cycling. RIP