RIP Alan van Heerden

rory21

i am very sad to hear about the passing away of Alan.

I met Alan in Belgium when he raced pro over here.

I wish his family lots of strenght in these difficult days

Dirk

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have there been any books written about A Van H ?
I am especially interested in the Rapport Toer wins and his time with Peugeot.

Now there is a project for Holy Roller

May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, until we meet again.

I was sorry to hear of the death of Alan Van Heerden ' date=' I met him in Belgium in the summer of 1980 , a sound guy.
[/quote']

In 1978 there was a book published called "Rapport Toer 'n Droom van 'n geel trui". There is a lot in there about Alan and the Rapport Toer. I used to have a whole lot of them, but I am now left with only two - one that is autographed throughout and one spare copy - but a bit too big to scan and mail to you unfortunately.

I was sorry to hear of the death of Alan Van Heerden ' date=' I met him in Belgium in the summer of 1980 , a sound guy.
[/quote']

Oops, forgot to mention I also have loads of info in scapbooks - if anyone is interested in co-writing a book!?

The peugeot that Alan rode in the Giro is now owned by a friend of mine and in pristine condition as Alan always kept his bikes

I would like to buy the Peugeot in memory of my Father.

Please supply me with the details.

Tyrone van Heerden (His Son)

I was fortunate enough to have grown up with Alan. I will always remember him for the good times at City Deep. Alan gave me so much, he taught me to love cycling, more importantly he taught me to love life. His legacy will remain in my heart forever.

Alan, I thank and salute you.

To Vanessa and Wendy, whilst we are worlds apart, my heart and soul is with you at this the most difficult of times. 

To his children, your dad was the greatest of dads, he had such a positive impact on so many people. The times are sad-The memories of him will last forever.

Godspeed to all at this the most difficult of times.

Gypsy

Heard about Alan's departure yesterday afternoon.

My condolences to the family.

RIP Alan. After everything you went through in your life, you deserve the rest.

As a cycling legend and known as the Idol, you were a journalist's dream. And I was in a priveleged position to write about your antics over many years. We've had many fights, laughs and in general good times while you were spearheading the cycling train in South Africa.

You and some of your epic battles with various other riders over the years kept cycling in the spotlight when the sport was dangerously close in disappearing off the radar.

You were never afraid to say what you felt. Straight talking and shooting from the hip often got you into trouble, but that was the one thing I always admired and it always gave me enough ammo to have a good enough article to sometimes even push rugby and cricket off the backpages of the newspapers I was involved with.

You were hotheaded. Make no mistake. I'll never forget the stage during the Rapport Tour finishing in Welkom when you chased one of the Portugese riders with your front wheel after the stage finished. It was something I saw developing 10 km's from the finish and I told my photographer to stay close to you at the finish. The result in the end was a strip of four pictures with you chasing this guy on the front page of Beeld at that stage.

It was actually hilarious, but you gave us enough material to keep us on our toes and to keep the Tour in the spotlight.

I'll always remember you as the tidiest and neatest of riders ever. Where other riders in most instances just let fly and blew their noses while riding, you always made an effort to sit up, get your handkerchief and then blow your nose. Fiercely competitive but always a true gentleman.

The loyalty you've shown to even your fiercest opponents is another thing I'll always cherish and remember. In 1989 tactical errors cost the Southern Sun team the Rapport Tour after Andrew McLean was called back after riding himself into a position to take the title and then Wille Engelbrecht spectacularly crashed out of the Tour after being annihalated by Robbie McIntosh.

With only the last stage left Lourens Smith as a 21-year old professional rookie had more than just the full weight of the yellow jersey on his shoulders and with only seconds between him and a rampant Italian team you were the one that came to McIntosh's aid to keep Lourens in yellow until the end.

Magical stuff and things I'll remember as long as I'm alive.

Ek groet jou Alan. Jy was lewensgroot. Die plesier wat jy my gegee het, was baie meer as enige van die negatiewe. Rus in vrede. Jy verdien dit.     

Hi All,

Yes there will be mass ride for him Early nexy year.

The family will be getting through the tough time and we will arrange it after the December break.

I will keep you all up to date.

Tyrone van Heerden (His Son)

Hi All' date='

Yes there will be mass ride for him Early nexy year.

The family will be getting through the tough time and we will arrange it after the December break.

I will keep you all up to date.

Tyrone van Heerden (His Son)[/quote']

Its never easy to lose someone...its even worse around the holiday season.

Keep strong Tyrone...as you can see, you have no shortage of support!