Virtual racing & power training

So what would you say to having the ability to race against other guys & gals over the internet?

That capability is only a matter of weeks away for those of you with power meters with Ant+ capability or even computrainers. You also need an internet connection of course

The developers of the opensource power & training software,

GoldenCheetah has just included a "real-time" capability allowing it to

read directly from your Ant+ power meter. It is PC based software so

the next step is to build the server capability to link all the users together.

If the trainer racing isn't exciting enough for you then at least you can use the internet capability to "train virtually".

The days of slogging through your indoor trainer sessions on your one-some during those dark winter days are gone. You will now have the motivation of using your competitors as motivation.

It is also going to create a whole new dimension to virtual coaching bringing back that personal touch where your coach can monitor you in real-time rather than just reviewing your data after each session.

Windbreaker2009-12-15 15:50:59

• 3 months later...

bump.

Winter is on its way. I'd love to get a virtual training / racing group going but the developers need some encouragement to complete this functionality.

why dont you just meet up with you local club and go for real rides?

Well we do that too but some of us work. During the winter monthswe leave for work in the dark and we get home in the dark. The trainer becomes a neccesity if we want to keep fit. The problem is that the trainer is a mental challenge at the best of times.

This at least would add some motivation / interest.

Guest colonel

Ive downloaded this software the other day and am busy comparing it to my WKO+ 3.0 and so far its ok, I still prefer my WKO+ but thats maybe cause I know the system and how to use it correctly and am still learning the Cheetah software.

What I cant seem to figure out is how I see my intervals on this software?

Colonel, I guess that you are using V1.3?

If so you should move on to the Developer build it has MUCH more functionality and does everything that WKO does and more. I think that I listed a link in the other thread on GoldenCheetah. Once you et used to it you won't go back. I have nothing against WKO except that I could only run it on windows but GC is now by far my favourite. It does take a bit of getting used too.

The intervals show as vertical lines and are numbered. You can also select them from the left screen - they should be listed in the bottom pane.

The latest windows version is here

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2848426/GoldenCheetahInstall-MetaColor.exe

Ive downloaded this software the other day and am busy comparing it to my WKO+ 3.0 and so far its ok' date=' I still prefer my WKO+ but thats maybe cause I know the system and how to use it correctly and am still learning the Cheetah software.

What I cant seem to figure out is how I see my intervals on this software?

[/quote'] Colonel, see example below.

20100327_071344_GoldenCheetah1.png

and while I am loading screenshots here is one which I think makes this software the best. It shows, not very well, how much flexibility you have to configure and view a combination of metrics that are important to you. Many graphs are pre-configured but you can also set up your own views. For example you might want to watch the relationship over time between anaerobic power, cadence and max speed for sprinting training  ... maybe

20100327_071929_GoldenCheetah.png