Where did the 160 SA Champs medals go.

fyndraai

2 to Ronel

2 to Cherise

2 to Miss Corbett

Summary as follows Gold, Silver,Bronze (Total)

Central Gauteng 16,12,17 (45)

Gauteng North    11,7,5 (23)

Southern Gauteng 3,3,1 (7) Gauteng total 75 nearly 50%

KZN       10,9,2 (21)

WP        7,5,9   (21)

EP        3,3,3   (9)

FSS       2,5,4   (11)

MPU       0,1,3   (4)

NC        1,1,1   (3)

FSN       0,1,5   (6)

NW        1,5,2   (8)

BOL       0,0,0

SC        0,2,0   (2)

BOR       0,0,0

This clearly shows that the Capitol of Cycling in South Africa is Gauteng. Well done Gautengers. [=D>] [=D>]

our club members won the following:

David George - gold in Elite TT and silver in RR

Robbie Rodrigues - Gold in RR (35 -39)

Guy Pike - Bronze in RR (40 - 44)

John Moss - bronze in RR (60 - 64)

Ian Gordon - Silver in TT (64 - 69)

Some more Western Province:

1st place: U14 - EMILE JACOBS!!!!! ClapClapClap

YOU GO BOY.

(this after also winning 2x golds in 10km Points Race and Team TT at SA Track Champs)

Some more Western Province:

1st place: U14 - EMILE JACOBS!!!!! ClapClapClap

YOU GO BOY.

(this after also winning 2x golds in 10km Points Race and Team TT at SA Track Champs)

You can always bet on this youngster to perform. Well done!

This clearly shows that the Capitol of Cycling in South Africa is Gauteng. Well done Gautengers. smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

spot on. tell that to the PPA. they reckon they have a winning formula down here ( i.e. a winning formula for themselves , charities and anyone wanting to raise money by using cyclists) 

btw another way of looking at it is that JhB , Pta Durban and CT are the stronholds of cycling in the country. and this is reflected by the number of full licensed riders in each province.

CG = 1710

GN = 797

KZN = 1238

WP = 756

Boland = 263

Border = 179

EP = 446

FSN = 115

FSS = 173

NC = 102

MPU = 358

NW = 203

SC = 321

SG = 105

Lets not count riders. Counting medal winners is much better. All your licensed riders in Cape Town is riders forced to take out licenses by PPA.

So in fact you have glorified fun riders.

Lets not count riders. Counting medal winners is much better. All your licensed riders in Cape Town is riders forced to take out licenses by PPA.

So in fact you have glorified fun riders.

wrong 100%  Troll

WP have 756 FULL LICENSES VIA THE CLUBS - YOU DONT NEED A FULL LICENSE TO RIDE IN THE PPA LEAGUES JUST A CYCLO SPORT, of which there are 297 of them in the WP.

BTW CG HAVE 1710 FULL LICENSES AND 477 CYCLO SPORT.

Challenge for the mathamatically gifted:

Which province has the most quality.  ie medals per licenced riders:

Central Gauteng 16,12,17 (45)

:  1710 =

Gauteng North    11,7,5 (23)

:  797 =

Southern Gauteng 3,3,1 (7) : 105= WOW

KZN       10,9,2 (21)

: 1238 =

WP        7,5,9   (21)

: 756 =

EP        3,3,3   (9)

:446 =

FSS       2,5,4   (11)

: 173 = WOW

MPU       0,1,3   (4)

:  358 =

NC        1,1,1   (3)

: 102 =

FSN       0,1,5   (6)

:  115 = WOW

NW        1,5,2   (8)

: 203 =

BOL       0,0,0

:  263 = 0

SC        0,2,0   (2)

: 321 =

BOR       0,0,0

: 179 = 0

South Gauteng and Free State South have the best returns - in terms of number of medals. someone else can do the split of Gold / Silver and bronze

The stats do not tell a very accurate story. Still abour 50% of the riders from Gauteng in the medals in the U23 and Elite age cat and maybe some vets started cycling in the WP. We as you no do not have any big buget teams in this area thus they have Gauteng licences - you may say why?

But when last was another province other than the Cape Porvince able to put on a proper road tour ( Giro del Cape PPA, Tour of Eden and Raport tour in 2000)for Elite riders which as we all know cost millions!Lets see some big money go into cycle tours for Elites and U23 from Gauteng and then maybe the standard may improve - lets face it David Geogre (a Cape rider) rode circles around 7 MTN riders on his own and it would not surprise me if he got R50 000 to come 2nd to Mel - his finnal year of racing not to mention the fact that the big guys from MTN were their and they needed the result for next year budget. R50 000 is a small price to pay to sucure a sponsorship for next year!

Bottom line this country need more road u23 and Elite tour to improve the standard on a national level!

Robby Rodrigues and Cathy Carstens the only two road gold medal winners from the WP???  Not good enough if you think we represent the biggest number of riders in the country.  I think the main reason is the negative racing as a result of not enough incentive for top riders.  The PPA must stop its focus on fun riders and lucky draws and start promoting the sport on a more scientific way.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Robby Rodrigues and Cathy Carstens the only two road gold medal winners from the WP???  Not good enough if you think we represent the biggest number of riders in the country.  I think the main reason is the negative racing as a result of not enough incentive for top riders.  The PPA must stop its focus on fun riders and lucky draws and start promoting the sport on a more scientific way.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

funriders outnumber the licensed cyclist in the WP so the PPA wont stop its focus on funrides. the PPA and the WPCA must join forces (but that won't suit the PPA and i dont know why). but i think it is time that the licensed riders in WP realised that the PPA is using them. i know for a fact that all funride organisers want a league status because it attracts more riders to their event by at least 200 - 250. only the ppa and the charity of the day benefits not the cyclists. btw the ppa boasts of members in excess of 15 000 to 18 000 but can only attract at the most 1500 to 2000 pre Argus.   

Before the WP commit collective HarriKirri, the "Quality" issue is interesting. GC has taken some of GN best cyclists as GN does not host too many teams (this explains the 700 vs 1700) DL who took two medals for GC actually lives and works in centurion!!! But still GN takes more medals per licenced cyclist!! Even more surprising is FSS and SG which dispite having a tenth of WP and GC cyclists takes more medals per licenced cyclist. So, where is the true DEPTH of cycling talent then?KonaFan2007-06-05 14:16:07

Butafly - how wrong you are PPA spends on avg just short of R20K to host a funride. This is done through fund from ACT. We are happy to do this. Thus entries are low compared to JHB

PPA has just given CSA R300k for the racing side of cycling.

PPA still owns the only International cycle tour in the country the Giro which has been running and growing for several year.

It take individuals to make champions - I know this 1st hand having won golds at SA's myself and having managed a team of WP riders who won collectively may sa medals gold included. That chapter of my life is over. But if large sponsor was found for a pro WP team similar to budget to the JHB teams I may consider re opening it!

As for the league rider I do understand your statement and when I was in charge of the PPA league sub committee we handed out R1000 for a league win now I think is some R300 and this is rediculous - agreed.

Been convenor of the PPA funride committe now I can say I am quite happy that we only get only 1500 to 2000 riders per event and maybe for southern sub events we may have to restict entry and put a premium on the entry - their is just to much cycle and road trafic on the roads that the funrides use - safety must still come 1st.

a result of not enough incentive for top riders.  The PPA must stop its focus on fun riders and lucky draws and start promoting the sport on a more scientific way.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I agree with you on this 100% Thumbs%20Up

Guest colonel
The stats do not tell a very accurate story. Still abour 50% of the riders from Gauteng in the medals in the U23 and Elite age cat and maybe some vets started cycling in the WP. We as you no do not have any big buget teams in this area thus they have Gauteng licences - you may say why?

But when last was another province other than the Cape Porvince able to put on a proper road tour ( Giro del Cape PPA' date=' Tour of Eden and Raport tour in 2000)for Elite riders which as we all know cost millions!Lets see some big money go into cycle tours for Elites and U23 from Gauteng and then maybe the standard may improve - lets face it David Geogre (a Cape rider) rode circles around 7 MTN riders on his own and it would not surprise me if he got R50 000 to come 2nd to Mel - his finnal year of racing not to mention the fact that the big guys from MTN were their and they needed the result for next year budget. R50 000 is a small price to pay to sucure a sponsorship for next year!

Bottom line this country need more road u23 and Elite tour to improve the standard on a national level![/quote']

PLease dont let Jason read this........