Power Trainin in winter?

How do those with power meters manage to train in the winter?

I am only able to cycle in the mornings, i am up at 4.30am and ride at 5.00am.  My problem is that i can't see my power meter so have no idea what power i am putting out or the duration.  I have purchased a "fluid trainer" but i just can't manage to do my sessions on there.  I have tried the RPE but i am always way off the mark?

I am receiving my daily training programs but for the past 2 months have really battled to do my L4, L5, etc  I am now just riding with the group like i use to and i have gone backwards at a serious rate of knotts.

Can anyone give me some suggestions how i can overcome this problem?

Use a light mounted on the helmet or around the head - like those sold in Outdoor Warehouse etc

Power training for dads:  ()especially for psycho)

Lie on your back.

Pull legs up onto chest.

Place two/three/four year old (preferably your own) on lower legs.

Move legs in clockwise and anti clock wise directions, lifting and droping your feet.

Watch expression on childs face as he plays airplane.

After twenty of these go and rest (if you are allowed to by said toddler).

KonaFan2007-06-05 08:45:50

Not an easy problem to solve.  This was one of the nice features of the Ergomo, it has a back-lit display!  Some guys use those small LED torches on their helmets.

I prefer to do the intervals indoors.  However, lot's of people struggle to hit the same numbers indoors as opposed to outdoors, so you need to do a 20min TT indoors to establish your indoor ftp.

I use a Gerber head torch and find it works great for when I venture outside - otherwise as Bruce says, re establish a workable FTP indoors.

i use on of those small topeak lights & strap it on to the helmet - looks a bit stupid,  so i leave the house at 04:30! 

actually does not work that well as you have to get the angle just right against the LCD otherwise you see nothing in any case!  what them happens is that you concentrate so much on trying to get the angle right that you don't look where you are going anymore.

i am warming up to the idea of using the idt this winter - soooo much better getting up at 05:00 instead of 04:10 when even the cats are not even moving yet.

also battling with the L4 / L5's indoors & will do my indoor TT soon to establish an indoor FTP.

do you find the L3's and L6's do-able on the trainer?

will be doing my indoor FTP test when this next cold spell takes a hold - making as much time as possible for riding outside

Ok, so i have to get my head around the indoor training.  My coach says i need to do an indoor trainer FTP test as pointed out above and work on those zones.

Thanks