Emperors Palace Classic

Jono Waddell

Did anyone see the guy cycling on the bike which must have been at least 25 years old - he has shorts that he'd sewn a makeshift Chamois on the outside and he'd sewn couldoured panels on on ordinary tee shirt to make it look more like a cycling shirt. He had one of the thickest' date=' wooliest, hats I've ever seen under his (ill-fitting) cycling helmet (his head must have been boiling) , and was cycling in (very) old takkies.

Someone had obviously donated a bike to him and, presumably, the entry.

does anyone know who he is? He was going quite well (doing the long course) and deserves a pair of cycling shorts and (even if it's second hand) a cycling shirt - if he's going to wear takkies, he might also find it earier with flat (rather than clipless) pedals
[/quote']

You guys find out who he is and I'll drop offsome of my old kit.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual racetec is as efficient as they were when they were called winningtime! 18:30 and still no results!

Well, the results are usually up by 11:30pm with racetec, be patient.

I battled with the traffic just getting to Emperors, it was a real mess. both previous times I did this race it was no issue, but today sucked. I sat for 45 mins waiting to get close to the parking, missed my start group by 10mins. At least I managed to start with AL and it was good riding. Nice attacks at the beginning and a good pace for the whole race. great weather too.

P0otholes were insane, damn dangerous, not to mention the large trucks passing on the right and the damn idiots passing us on the sand pavement on the left of the road - only in SA.

Seemed at times that the guys who crossed the white center line didnt worry too much about oncoming traffic, nuts. Could have used more marshaling, and the Cops were something else too. Ushering cars in front of us when we were racing in excess of 40km/h. Whistles galore.

I hope next year they sort out closure of the N17, will be better there and back again.

Guest Agteros
As usual racetec is as efficient as they were when they were called winningtime! 18:30 and still no results!

They always have the results out the next morning...

I got 105.0 on the Ibike

Pothole section was terrifying , but rest was great. One or two hairy intersections with sleepy marshalls, but still great race.

pretty poor show to get assistance from vehicles, but hey if you get away with it.... sods

Spent 3 hours in traffic on Sat to collect number @ Emperors.Angry

Took 45 minutes from Griffiths offramp to inside of Emperors parking lot (and i was early) & missed my start group. Took me 1H20 min to drive 70km back to home..i'm gatvol of roadworks on highwaysAngry

Marshalling and metro cops did an awesome job. Marshalling 100% better than last year. Thumbs%20Up Clap

No water at waterpoints/finish. Disapprove

Distance of 97km incorrect. I recorded just over 106km? Can anyone confirm this and if racetec will adjust times?

I enjoyed my race - didn't finish as quick as I had hoped but finished none the less.  At the 50km turn point - sleepy marshalls or marshalls who couldn't communicate with one another nearly got me hit by car - luckily I was going slow and could stop and unclip as the car came through.

Did anyone see the guy cycling on the bike which must have been at least 25 years old - he has shorts that he'd sewn a makeshift Chamois on the outside and he'd sewn couldoured panels on on ordinary tee shirt to make it look more like a cycling shirt. He had one of the thickest' date=' wooliest, hats I've ever seen under his (ill-fitting) cycling helmet (his head must have been boiling) , and was cycling in (very) old takkies.

does anyone know who he is? He was going quite well (doing the long course) and deserves a pair of cycling shorts and (even if it's second hand) a cycling shirt - if he's going to wear takkies, he might also find it earier with flat (rather than clipless) pedals
[/quote']

If anyone knows how to get in touch with him I'm sure that, between us, we must be able to get him some kit which is much better (mine will fall off him though - he'll need to put on about 50kg before mine will fit himEmbarrassed)

[/quote']

If anyone knows how to get in touch with him I'm sure that, between us, we must be able to get him some kit which is much better (mine will fall off him though - he'll need to put on about 50kg before mine will fit himEmbarrassed)

I took a photograph of him as he came in. The time at the medal table was 10:57 on my camera. Something to work with IF we can get racetec up and workingAngry

so the distance was 106km or somewhere there instead of 97ks and all they did was to reduce your average speed, thats bleak!

Anyone know who the BulkPack guy was that slipped behind a Toyota bakkie for about 10km after the potholes section???? (VA bunch)
What are the rules and how long can you sit behind your team car for. I remember Nolan Hofman getting his wrist slapped for this at a 94.7?
Gotta get someone to pull me back into the bunch when I get tired or puncture or whatever the reason is!!!!Angry

so anyone know what the rules are? I know he didn't feature at the finish. Maybe I am just a bit jealous I didn't get the same helpLOL

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW WHAT MAKES HIM BETTER THAN US TO GET SUPPORT FROM A CAR.  I WAS PART OF TH 5MAN GROUP TRYING TO CLOSE THE GAP AFTER LOOSING THE VA BUNCH ON THE BIG CLIMB AFTER THE POTHOLE SECTION.  KEPT THE GAP THE SAME FOR ABOUT 8KM (IN THIS TIME A BULKPACK MEAT RIDER CAME PAST US IN THE SLIP OF A HILUX BAKKIE -NOT FAIR) WE ROAD OUR ASSES OF TO TRY AND KEEP IN TOUCH WITH THE GROUP.