Buff that titanium?

RodTi

Hello all...

Read/heard somewhere that it's possible to "buff" light scratches off titanium frames, using arb kitchen accessories as basic as scotchbrite sponges etc...

Any truth to this?

I must admit with some shame that I might have posed this question in a vaguely related topic some time ago, but cannot find it, and cannot for the life of me remember what was said...

Anyone out there that has tried this?

You should get most of it done, what I found worked as well was this polish that White Lightning makes, it also protects it so it stays nice and clean for longer.

You should get most of it done...

?

You say it does work Titus?

Cannot understand how though?

I suppose it all depends on the finish on your bike... Mine's kinda a matt/unpolished ti - so I'm nervous that using a sponge etc will simply replace scratches, with 'patches' - if you follow what I mean....

Will have a look for the White Lightning product though...

Well, that was about as clear as mud, you have to buff then use the polish, after that you should only need the polish unless you have a nasty.

Ah right...

What you use to buff?

[Note to self for future use - "What material object, not in any way joined, part of or demonstrative of your person and/or body, including, inter alia, such bodily extremities such as arms, hands, fingers, legs, feet or toes [weirdo], would one use by means of utilising the aforementioned in such a manner as to buff the titanium frame?..."] 

RodTi2007-06-05 08:57:43

Ha!

Ja. Guess I can give it a go underneath the bottom bracket where it'll be out of site...

Just remember to rub with the "grain".

Ah thanks Mampara.

Was wondering about that.

Will experiment on the bottom-bracket, as I have long wondered about the direction of the grain on my frame, without really coming to an absolute decision... 

Titanium being, quite unlike, wood and all... Embarrassed 

Hmmm... *stern look* there a whole lotta buffing with the hand going on here... you boys really do need to get girlfriends Wink

Sorry, couldn't resist the dig.

I renewed the lustre on my Litespeed by buffing along the grain (the buffed grain cos the material grain runs at 90 degrees to this) with strips of P1000 paper.

Takes off scratches, returns the machined look and prepares the surface for new decals.

I never used polish on the frame cos replacement decals don';t stick to polish...

I renewed the lustre on my Litespeed by buffing along the grain (the buffed grain cos the material grain runs at 90 degrees to this) with strips of P1000 paper.

Takes off scratches' date=' returns the machined look and prepares the surface for new decals.

I never used polish on the frame cos replacement decals don';t stick to polish...
[/quote']

Thanks Lefty...

Sandpaper actually makes the most sense...

Am I correct in assuming that any buffing will leave a different-looking patch to the rest of the frame, and thus - should one decide to go this route, you should actually buff the entire frame in order to get a homogenous result?

Guest Big H

mampara ek verstaan nie los die goed splinters in jou vingers as jy teen die grein poets!!!!!??????? Ek dog die Ti goetters is 'n moderne yster?????? Klink nou of dit van Bamboes gemaak is soos die Calfee fietse..... nogal teleurstellend ne!!!!!!!!!

mampara ek verstaan nie los die goed splinters in jou vingers as jy teen die grein poets!!!!!??????? Ek dog die Ti goetters is 'n moderne yster?????? Klink nou of dit van Bamboes gemaak is soos die Calfee fietse..... nogal teleurstellend ne!!!!!!!!!

Omtrent so, ja oom. Ek het die naweek vir my 'n sak vol staalwol gekoop en gaan nou my ma vra om vir my 'n kar te brei.

Guest Big H

Al wat jou Ma kan brei met staalwol is 'n BMW en dis nie 'n kar nie..... laat sy eerder 'n Tazz vir jou hekel..... dit is makliker!!!!!!! tee heee!!!!!!