So I see that CSC has...........

widget

.............said today that it will in all likleyhood end its association with Barnje Rijs.

"It is the only thing for us to do" said the CEO and we will be requesting he remove our name from all bicycles and material forthwith.

............So as I predicted, they will be SACKING him.

As a global company it was all they could do, you simply cannot have a confessed sporting fraudster heading up an operation bearing their name.

I wonder if they will still be able to compete in the TDF as the ASO has already said Rijs is not welcome.??

It would be a terrible shame for the riders like Schleck and Sastre who stood a good chance of a high position.

.........So Crux, Team TCS may still get a spot on the line, dont stop training yet.Big%20smile

I guess he can go have a drink with Ivan Basso now and talk about the good old days.

LOL - Yup I can sort of picture it now.

They can't sack Riis.  They can only end their relationshop with his company.

I personally believe that it takes people like Riss who cheated the system to make sure that as many doors as possible are closed to the new generation. 

These people know how to get around the system so they should be part of the whatever new initiative is created to stop / slow down the use of drugs in sport (any sport).

e.g like the cops using hackers to get to other hackers etc etc etc

.........So Crux' date=' Team TCS may still get a spot on the line, dont stop training yet.Big%20smile
[/quote']

They'll have to get past the Bulk Pack boys first Tongue

They can't sack Riis.  They can only end their relationshop with his company.

I personally believe that it takes people like Riss who cheated the system to make sure that as many doors as possible are closed to the new generation. 

These people know how to get around the system so they should be part of the whatever new initiative is created to stop / slow down the use of drugs in sport (any sport).

e.g like the cops using hackers to get to other hackers etc etc etc

Its pretty much the same thing Gianni - sacked, end our relationship,............... "hey" we didnt sack you......we just "ended our relationship with you".!

The fact that he is out on his ear is what matters, and I for one believe he deserves it.

Its a fair point you make regarding investigation, however CSC s point of view would be, this is a business for us not a crime prevention operation.

Rijs can be recruited by another organisation to do exactly that, and it may well be feasible, but CSC is not in the business of preventing dope usage and sport fraud, and I doubt thwy would want to have their name linked there either. 

Its pretty much the same thing Gianni - sacked' date= end our relationship,............... "hey" we didnt sack you......we just "ended our relationship with you".!

The fact that he is out on his ear is what matters, and I for one believe he deserves it.

Its a fair point you make regarding investigation, however CSC s point of view would be, this is a business for us not a crime prevention operation.

Rijs can be recruited by another organisation to do exactly that, and it may well be feasible, but CSC is not in the business of preventing dope usage and sport fraud, and I doubt thwy would want to have their name linked there either. 

[/quote]

I didn't mean it was CSC's job to prevent doping. What I meant was that there are some people laughing at the fact that he will not be involved in cycling and I think that there's a missed opportunity there.

His TEAM was one of the few apparently interested in fighting the whole doping thing.

He will get another main sponsors.

Fair enough Gianni.

..........and yes I agree CSC did appear to be making the right noises, but unfortunately there exists a credibility and an integrity gap here which will certainly be an issue.

Rijs may well find another sponsor, but I dont think it will be soon.

Not too many Major global companies would be willing to have that mill stone dragged around with them right now - personally I think its over for him.

Is that why Riis and the team were in SA? Looking for some "enhancements" from african medicine men.

What I would like to see happening with these guys is that they have to return ALL prizemoney and sponsorship money acquired from cycling if caught doping.

Returning the jersey is no harsh punishment you can get a new one at the flea market.

Hurt the back pocket and then let us see who really wants to dope.

This is a dark moment for cycling.

Can CSC afford not to have the TDF exposure for their brand.

What will win out moral indignation or capitalism.

Can't see the sponsorship lasting past this year though

Guest Big H

WHAT!!!!! Do you guys mean he killed that BEAUTIFULL Springbuck with a high powered hunting rifle during the teams "KAMP STAALDRAAD" in the Karoo for nothing....... Dick Pound is NOTHING compared to the greenies and bunny huggers with their bambi complex

But that might stop them from coming forward in the first place?

Cpt...let's put it this way. Riijs is now out of cycling for good as a millionaire, his millions made from the sport of cycling. He has proved to be dishonest, I am sure we all agree on this and the same applies to all the others who have admitted or been caught.

Now if you are caught stealing cash at work, firstly criminal charges are laid against you and your employer seeks to recover the stolen cash from you.

So why does the same not apply in cycling, the guys who cheat by doping it up are effectively stealing money from the corporates who sponsor the events. I know in some cases criminal charges are laid against the riders but the money is not given back.

As with today Riijs is only required to give back his jersey - big deal as earlier stated he can go buy another one at the flea market. Tell him he needs to pay back the Million Francs he won and then see him squirm.

Point is yes they may not admit they took drugs but the fear of having to come up with a million Euros maybe 10 years down the line when it has been prooved you were a druggie will certainly go a long way to stopping doping in cycling IMHO. Let's face it this is entirely possible, all it takes is one disgruntled doctor or team mate to spill the beans and the **** hits the fan.