Cofidis to stop Sponsorship

shaunh

Cofidis to stop sponsorship?

Pro cycling's long history of doping problems is claiming another victim. Cofidis, the French credit company, has announced that it will probably not prolong its contract with the cycling team when it expires the end of 2008. According to L'Equipe, it has authorized team manager Eric Boyer to start looking for a new sponsor.

The former rider has already contacted a number of large companies who might be potential sponsors, presenting them with plans featuring a hard line against doping. Boyer took over the team in 2005 after it had been rocked by a series of doping problems, crowned by David Millar's EPO confession.

Cofidis has sponsored the team since 1996. Fran?ois Migraine, company CEO, indicated that in addition to the doping problems, the ProTour costs of three million euros a year were a problem.

It would be the third sponsor this season to withdraw from the sport. Discovery Channel announced in February that it would no longer sponsor its ProTour team and the German company Wiesenhof also will stop its support of the continental Wiesenhof-Felt team at the end of the year due to the "the current conditions and developments in professional cycling."

But can you really blame them? Cycling this year is seeing alot of old riders coming out of the closet and that means cycling is turned into a beg to be seen dealing with !

It sounds like it not only the doping that made Cofidis quit. It was getting too expensive for them. It almost looks like they are using the doping as a excuse to quit the sponsorship, when actually they didn't want to loose face saying it's too much money.

It sounds like it not only the doping that made Cofidis quit. It was getting too expensive for them. It almost looks like they are using the doping as a excuse to quit the sponsorship' date=' when actually they didn't want to loose face saying it's too much money. [/quote']

You may have a point here. Same way a lot of companies globally used 9/11 as an excuse for poor management

Their 2007 kit looks too much like Barloworld's for my liking

I think Cofidis meant the 3 million euros it cost "could be used better elsewhere with less risk" not they could not afford it.

Cofidis could easily afford this amount, its cheap advertising in the global sphere.

You couldnt even get Beckham to wear your shoelaces for 3 million euros, never mind the entire years advertising from a bike team.