Flat Thin 'fancy' saddle beter why ?

rawoke

I went through this same exercise. You can buy a Gobi etc, those are very expensive saddles because they are lightweight. The good options in my opinion are the Bel-Air and something like a WTB Rocket Vee. They have the right combination of padding, cost and weight.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a thin road saddle and a thin one on my hardtail XC MTB - no problems. Love it. Ass get used to it - MTBing is hard = fact so stop moaning ride a TRUE HARDTALE with a flat saddle - racing setup. No pussy sh*t with Dual bikes - couch saddles and double bartape (some people use bartape on MTB nowa days)

I say - ride kaalbal (commando / freeballing) on your HT MTB then your a real man.

Hahah Kaalbal huh :D Hehe!

Anyone know of a cycle shop that sells the 'sdg bel-air' saddles in pta area ?

Cause they make you ride faster

Clap

I like my saddle small, light and business-like. I figure if you want somewhere

comfy to sit get an armchair. I have one of these guys. No chance of falling asleep in front of the TV on that.

lukehardiman2010-01-11 09:25:00

Just remember - despite everybody wanting to help - what works perfectly for one a$$ does not mean it will work for yours.

Good luck on finding the right saddle! (FWIW - I've gone through several last year trying to get to the right one on my roadbike, where I sit for longer periods than on my mtb. My butt's nirvana was a Selle Italia SLR XP Gel flow - which can also be used on mtb). My mtb came with a Prologo Scratch and it feel just fine.

Good question' date=' I understand the theory of sitting with the sitbones on top of the saddle but for me it doesn't work. I have given it a fair go but my anthem's Fizik Tundra is going to gather dust while I use a good old Bel Air.[/quote']

I also just got a Tundra...moer hy is hard! but Im going to give it a try, I got it off a giant probably like yours and the colours match my santacruise nice.

There is medical advantage to a hard seat.Shocked The mainvainLOL or something important that suplies blood to your prostate runs between your "holl bene/ sitting bones." 

When a seat is to "plush" the foam pushes up between these "bones" and cut off the blood supply to your best friend. So when you are sitting high and dry on your holl been the blood she flows and Mr is happyBig%20smile.

Next time youre on a long ride with your cush seat and you get a pins n neadles in your Penis.. It cant breatheDead!!

Don't let the mainvain come to a abrupt halt - can cause the member to strike and cause problems with work efficiency....

Bos makes sense - nice one - glad I'm on the right / hard path already. Don't wanna be a couch rider converting to a klip   

X-Gear you a roadie ? I'm guessing it will be easier to adapt to those thin saddles if your a roadie ? than if your arse is bouncing on/off the thing on a mountain bike hardtail ?

If your ass bounce around, your technique / setup is not correct. I have been riding a hardtail for over 3 years now with a Selle Italia SLR on it. I stand through alot of the techical stuff and many of the down hill stuff while my mates with fancy duelsus bikes take the knocks sitting down. I have a theory that the hard tail riders are less prone to saddle sores on big races like the epic, due to the fact that they stand and ride alot more than the duelsus dudes and gals.

Hahah Kaalbal huh :D Hehe!

Anyone know of a cycle shop that sells the 'sdg bel-air' saddles in pta area ?

Buy the tundra from Showtime, Its a new 2010 seat from Fizik They aim it to be mtb race seat.. go figure, I looked it up when I got mine.

I ride a SELLE ITALIA SLR gel flow and its great, BUT they are a bit pricy. Check out the SELLE ROYAL range at your LBS. They have decent padding but dont look like a GOMMA GOMMA on your bike. They also are reasonably priced so you can still afford the two ply and look after the but better. smiley1.gif

Ja i always see the sella italia stuff at my LBS. always looks very fancy yes (and thin ! :S) :P

Yes they do say it's a race seat and goes with my bike so I really wanted to like it. If I'm out riding a technical loop the Tundra is really good, you can move very freely on the bike and I have no discomfort. Anything more than 90 minutes though and I suffer.

I do understand that if my sit bones are not a match for the Tundra it's a poor judge for the saddle so if anybody wants to buy a Tundra and try you are welcome :)

20100111_100130_IMG_8657.jpg

Mabe you should use it once, I myself have not ridden it for longer than 2 hours either, but I normally just think I need to harden up! Like I said , my arse will have to suffer cause Its pretty. I do have a FS though.

Im a selle italia slr xc gel flow fan 3 hours hard racing on it with a first ascent bib, no problems ! Got the new model now without the cutout but its putting pressure on my perenium.

It doesn't look to be angled upwards and I know tilting it down will cause more trouble.  maybe a fore- aft adjustment ? I can't really see how such a small cut out can make a difference, but maybe there is method in the madness...

any suggestions?