Merida 120 TFS 800D

Buffet

Any comments on this bike, about to buy one.

Seems like very good value for money for around R16 000. Mostly XT and SLX components. Manitou Minute fork and X-Fusion O2RC shock. 

Was also looking at Giant Anthem X3 for the same money and still cant make up my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Also looking at the Merida, what did u go for? Meirda seems to have better components than the Giant.

Im also keen on the merida!

how will it do in an event like the epic?

I'm a roadie and dont spend much time on the mtb at all.  I might want to do the epic once and then want a comfortable bike to play with afterwards, I am not interested in racing on the mountains either, ill do that for the road.

Which will give me most pleasure in the long run, cross country or trail bike?

I have a Merida TFS 800D - bought it last year - obviously not exactly the same, but I LOVE this bike. Handles well and is definitely a comfy bike. Have no idea what the Giant is like, but I can recommend the Merida for sure.

From  what I understand: An all mountain or trail bike will be able to handle all situations that a ride like epic will throw at you, the less knocks your body will have to take could mean you finish feeling stronger.

Whereas a XC bike likes to be hammered to be more responsive, has a less comfortable riding position for a long tour. But XC's are usually lighter and more efficient bikes. So you will have to weight up the options.

It's a cool bike. Rides well, is light for what it is and have a decent pedaling platform. It will cope with the Epic just as well as most other XC bikes. If you're aiming for podium go with the 96 or Anthem X rather, but to buy a bike for one week of the year doesn't make sense.

The bike is well-suited to trail riding and general XC'ing. It is not an All Mountain bike. Not even close. It is too steep, too light and doesn't have enough travel.

Between the 120, Anthem X and Trance X I would say look at the spec and base you decision on that. There much in it.

thanks crow!

that is exactly my thinking... I dont race mtb and dont ride mtb enough to warrant buying a bike for a spesific event.

component wise, merida seems to be doing better than giant ..... concluded with my limited mbt knowledge! Wink