Due South base layer...

AndreZA

I was looking for some base layer stuff and alot of people suggested Helly Hansen. I then started looking around for alternatives seeing that HH is quite expensive. I found some Due South Termal tops and the, wait for it, Due South store in Clearwater. I firstly only bought one to try it out. Quite an expensive experiment at R149. It is a nice tight fitting top made out of moisture wikking (magic word these days) material. It's cut nice and long and the back is even longer still.

Two Saturday's ago, when it was lekker cold, I used it alone undeneath my Cajees R250 German jacket (thread is here somewhere). It was a bit cold but not freezing and as it warmed up a degree or 3 I started to get hot.

The past weekend I decided to get another one to use during my commute to work. This morning I wear it underneath a summer top and summer lycra arm warmers and that German winter jacket. About 5 minutes into the ride I was boiling and I had another 30 minutes to go. I left home at 6:30 and it was still dark outside. Around 7:00 the sun was sitting ontop of th e horizon and it was colder then when I started. It was then that I felt nice and cozy and glad I was dressed so warm.

In conclusion, I will get me a third top this weekend seeing that I commute 3 days a week. I know people will say "yes, but I got 3 surfing tops from Mr Price for the same price" and all that crap. I just think get the right tool to do the job in the first place. I've wasted alot of money trying to find short cuts.

Agreed Mampara.  I've tried the Due South tops (thanks to Dirt-Rider's advice), but found them a bit too warm to my liking.  I bought the Helly Hansen tops and they work like a bomb.  Not to warm, not to cold, JUST right (ok, also along with my R250 Cajees German winter jacket)

mampara & ewep, the most important question, does it keep the sweat off your bodies??

I am looking at getting either top in the next day or two.

I had a look at the Cape Storm stuff the other day at thew shop @ Grovner Crossing when i was wanting some new Helly's. It looked really nice and ill give it a go some time soon.

But i found some some Nike DRI-FIT long sleeved shirts at Meltz for R119 each, so i  got myself 2 black and 2 white, because i know the Nike moisture wicking stuff is realy good.  

These are the closest thing i have found to my Helly Hanson top, that as you say are far too expensive in this country. i wear them under a short sleeved cycling top with arm warmers over the sleeves, and thats cosy for me in temps down to about 3 degrees. if its colder than that i wear a long sleeved winter shirt with one of these DRI-FIT 'vests' under and im warm enough. I raced Bela Bela with one under my shirt and i was comfortable the whole time, even when it warmed up.

I also found them great to spin in, just pull the sleves up when you get hot, and because its a shirt not 'underwear' you can wear it around the gym, or after a ride no problem.

mampara & ewep' date=' the most important question, does it keep the sweat off your bodies??

I am looking at getting either top in the next day or two.
[/quote']

How do you work this out 100%? I was not dripping wet if that is something to go by. The top was definately wetter then I was.

Robbie Herreveld at Canoe & Kayak has just received a new shipment of Helly Hansens in both long and short sleeves.

Don't know the price though.

011 807 8111

Long Sleeve - R 290

Short Sleeve - R 280

The Thug2007-06-12 02:29:22

Guest Big H

First Ascent long or short sleeved undershirts are tops for heat insulation and moisture management. Used them when we were still south. Not of much use here in Lagos.

I bought a capestorm one (gridlock-fabric?) a while ago at a sale - not 'cause i needed it, but 'cause i'm a girl and can't resist a sale Wink

used it at a few nightrides when it was seriously cold, with just the capestorm wind-jacket over it, and I was snug and warm.  Will go back for another one soon Smile