TRACK FOR ROADIES

Brillo

WINTER LEAQUE STARTED AT HECTOR NORRIS LAST WEEK, WITH A SECTION FOR ROAD BIKES. I WAS A LITTLE SCEPTICAL ABOUT IT, BUT WENT ANYWAY.

BOY, WHAT A BLAST!! ANYBODY WHO TELLS TRACK RACING IS EASY OR THAT THAT CYCLISTS ARE SOFT, HAVE OBVOIUSLY NEVER SET FOOT ON THE TRACK.

RACING STARTS AT 14H00, WITH THE ROADIES AND TRACKIES RACING THE SAME EVENTS ONE AFTER THE OTHER. IT IS DEFINITLEY AN AWESOME WAY TO KEEP SOME TYPE OF FORM OVER WINTER

ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS BRING ALONG YOUR ROADBIKE, AND A HELMET OF COURSE. ENTRY FEE IS R30.00 AND FOR THAT YOU CAN RIDE ALL THE EVENTS. THE EVENTS ARE USULLY THE FOLLOWING:

1500M

3000M

5000M

POINTS RACE.

THE REF ON THE DAY EXPLAINS THE RULES OF THE PARTICULAR EVENT ON THE LINE AND POINTS ARE AWARDED PER EVENT. THIS POINTS THAN GO TOWARDS THE LEAQUE.

Ok i was just going to say just turn up, pay and prepare to start coughing blood, but that explanation's good. It's also interesting to just watch the trackies at work, and the tactics they use.

Thyolo, i'm not sure if you can still do it but you also were able to arrange with the orgs to try out a track bike, fixed cogs, big blade and no brakes.  
scotty2007-06-14 01:52:50

you also were able to arrange with the orgs to try out a track bike, fixed cogs, big blade and no brakes.

Am trying to see how this would be a good thing - esp. the "no brakes"smiley5.gif

Anyhow what day is it on?

YOU CAN STILL DO IT. THERE ARE SOME FUJI TRACK BIKES THERE. I FOUND IT VERY INTERESTING SEEING THE TACTICS INVOLVED.

IT WILL RUN EVERY SATURDAY THROUGH WINTER FROM 14H00, SO NO NEED FOR THE WINTER MICHELIN SUITS TO KEEP YOU WARM

Just get there a bit before the time to warm up proper, trust me. The banked track also takes some getting used to.

Ah, good memories around Hector Norris.Clap

They didn't run anything in winter in them days, but at least we had the Lester brothersThumbs%20Up

I'm supporting the Benoni Bunnies race in the morning, so i most likeley pop in to watch other suckers sufferers. scotty2007-06-15 03:23:56

Roadie funriders of the HUB. Track is the BEST way to improve your road racing results without having to get fitter. All SA's top roadriders from the past used to ride track, and very well.