Schwalbe Ultremo R Defect Notice

Pantani

I bought a set of Ultremo R tyres in June/July. Bought them purely for their looks, I'm not a serious cyclist anymore. Anyway, in December I went on a ride from Johannesburg to Durban and on my first day on the bike both the front and rear tyres failed. When I say failed the tyres seemed to be coming apart at the seams.. Luckily for me I was travelling with a set of brand new backup tyres, cos that's how I roll... I told myself that when I get back to Johannesburg I will investigate the issue of the tyres that mysteriously started coming apart. So, yesterday I was digging in the spares cupboard and I found the faulty tyres so first thing I do is google "Schwalbe Ultremo R problem". Do it and see the first two results that come back. So I intend taking my tyres back to the shop where I bought them because at over R700 a tyre they were not cheap! Angry

If you have a set of these please read the notice, you could seriously injure yourself if they come apart on a descent.

Interesting thing is that the local agent for Schwalbe has no such warning on their website...

Schwalbe defect notice

Interesting thing is that the local agent for Schwalbe has no such warning on their website...

Schwalbe defect notice

the Local agent infomed all the dealers of the possible issue.

some have returned faulty tyres and were immediately given replacements

Schwalbe defect notice

the Local agent infomed all the dealers of the possible issue.

some have returned faulty tyres and were immediately given replacements

Well, good on you for informing the dealers.. Some more information locally would have been nice because when I went to your site I found nothing about the issue which made me think that I might have a fight with my LBS... I am glad that I now know I can take them in and have them replaced... Great Service.. Big%20smileThumbs%20Up

I think I should rely a little less on the dealers to pass on important information like this.

In the future I will send this kind of information to our mailing list subscibers too. (hopefully there are not too many incidents of this kind)

Shamus

www.bicicletta.co.za

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST and be notified of new products, specials and demo items

(and rarely product incident notifications or warnings)

Shamus, I have a set of Ultremo R's in the cupboard at home that I bought about 6 months ago. They are unused and still in the box. How can I tell if they are part of the faulty batch?

Shamus' date=' I have a set of Ultremo R's in the cupboard at home that I bought about 6 months ago. They are unused and still in the box. How can I tell if they are part of the faulty batch?[/quote']

Errmmm you on your own dude... LOL

Unpack them, put a couple of hours on them and you should see the problem...

Errmmm you on your own dude...

Judging by the lack of response I think you're right... smiley6.gifflex2010-01-27 12:55:11

Errmmm you on your own dude...

Judging by the lack of response I think you're right... smiley6.gif

there is no specific batch number that has an issue

But I am advised  that if you mount the tyres, and ride them for about 100km,  you will know if they are the faulty ones.

a "bubble" or "snake" will form in the tyres.

Is that not a bit scary that they say wait until they bulge then replace them? What happens if someone does a 100km+ race on them and doesn't realise what's going on with their back tyre? If I owned them I would be terrified of putting them on my bike...

Is that not a bit scary that they say wait until they bulge then replace them? What happens if someone does a 100km+ race on them and doesn't realise what's going on with their back tyre? If I owned them I would be terrified of putting them on my bike...

exactly why I suggested going for a RIDE.

as a rule of thumb I never race on new equipment (whatever it is) unless I've taken it on a training ride first.

So far we have replaced 6 or 8 out of a couple of hundred units, I think panic may be unnecessary.

I bought a set of wheels fitted with these in October. I guess that they had about 300km on when I got them. I have done about 250km on them since.

On Saturday I was riding and rear wheel developed a "snake" S shaped bulge after about 5km. When I took the tire off the rim it looks like a flat spot has been scraped into the rubber on the surface that makes contact with the road.

I will put it back on the rim over the weekend and post a pic.

I will be returning both to the agents for replacement.

Thanks for the heads up.

I bought a set of Ultremo R tyres in June/July.

Pantani,

I collected your tyres this afternoon.

These tyres are brand new!!

do you even ride your bike???

LOL

your replacements will be delivered tomorrow

- Shamus

I bought a set of Ultremo R tyres in June/July.

Pantani' date='

I collected your tyres this afternoon.

These tyres are brand new!!

do you even ride your bike???

LOL

your replacements will be delivered tomorrow

- Shamus

[/quote']

Big up and thanks to "Shamus that rhymes with famous"! I collected my replacement Ultremo R's on Friday afternoon. Clap Great service all round. Oh, thanks to my LBS Cyclelab as well... Clap

I ride on occasion... Embarrassed