SA Ladies Track World Cup China

sernoche1

Another worthless performance in the Team Sprint - SA 11th from 12 starters ( 2nd last well off the pace ) in the sprint qualify - 2nd last , 500 m TT 3rd last and a DNS !!! , scratch 3rd last , points race 3rd last - at least the Team is consistant !!

smiley32.gif

maybe need to start selective breed/gene therapy to find riders with a high concentration of fast twitch muscle fibers, (doesnt fast twitch fiber matter with sprint cycling?? )

Why spend so much money sending a team? Dean Edwards did very well to make the Mens Scratch final but as for the rest...rather use the money to get a track program going.

Get JP Van Zyl to help the team ( the best track cyclist in the history of SA Cycling,he did after all win 2 medals at a Track Worlds and several World Cup races) send the team to smaller races on the track circuit to get use to the race pace and then when they can ride the times, ave speeds etc enter them into the World Cup's. But I am sure CSA politics will never make this happen!

But hey I am sure they (CSA) know what they are doing...nothing like sending a team to make up the numbers.

Guest colonel

Another worthless performance in the Team Sprint - SA 11th from 12 starters ( 2nd last well off the pace ) in the sprint qualify - 2nd last ' date=' 500 m TT 3rd last and a DNS !!! , scratch 3rd last , points race 3rd last - at least the Team is consistant !!

smiley32.gif [/quote']

How did you do?

why so negative?

Maybe the point was to gain experience. And just maybe that's exactly what they did.

Another worthless performance in the Team Sprint - SA 11th from 12 starters ( 2nd last well off the pace ) in the sprint qualify - 2nd last ' date=' 500 m TT 3rd last and a DNS !!! , scratch 3rd last , points race 3rd last - at least the Team is consistant !!

smiley32.gif [/quote']

How did you do?

Clap

Clap

Well done CSA, no wonder you left behind the SA 2009 kerin champ who in your eyes was not worthy of a place as YOUR ladies were in much better shape.

Wonder when ladies such as Corbett and Nicholson will ever be ready in the eyes of CSA

Remind yourselves of the time when CSA opted to send no-one to Mendrisio, then you all moaned..now CSA sends a squad to Beijing, albeit different discipline, and you all moan....I do agree with Robbie, though, and that is that track (all disciplines) should raise the bar, locally. Incidentally, JP was/is available to assist, and he is in regular contact with Dave Street, as far as I know....this does imply that he is "helping" already.

I stand with the "if they're not competitive don't send them brigade". Thanks to the Internet, results of pretty much everything are available so the CSA will know if the girls/guy/whatever will be competitive.

This whole "send them for experience" thing is a crock of poo. Spend the money on making them better and when they're knocking on the podium's door then send them - good for their confidence and good for SA's reputation.

Getting your ass handed to you on a major scale isn't exactly motivational...

All what is needed from CSA is a schedule of qualifying times for all disciplines made known to cyclists. Once this is available then there is something to work toward and is public knowledge not for a select few only.It will surley do away with favours for some as well.

Do we not perhaps need a decent track? I took photos at that track in the South of Joburg, Hector Norris I think it is. A good case for a dual suspension track bike can be made after looking at that thing.

I suppose it is a money thing again.

I stand with the "if they're not competitive don't send them brigade". Thanks to the Internet' date=' results of pretty much everything are available so the CSA will know if the girls/guy/whatever will be competitive.

This whole "send them for experience" thing is a crock of poo. Spend the money on making them better and when they're knocking on the podium's door then send them - good for their confidence and good for SA's reputation.

Getting your ass handed to you on a major scale isn't exactly motivational...
[/quote']

If the riders selected are in a class of their own locally, how must they improve if no-one locally can challenge them?

Do we not perhaps need a decent track? I took photos at that track in the South of Joburg' date=' Hector Norris I think it is. A good case for a dual suspension track bike can be made after looking at that thing.

I suppose it is a money thing again. [/quote']

There are plenty of tracks around ... if we don't support them properly how can we expect them to be maintained.Cry

Take the in one in Krugersdorp for example ... rode back past there yesterday.  A tin of paint and weedeater and you're away.  There's nothing wrong with the track itself.

My wife wants us to build a velodrome Shocked ... it might need to wait until next year.Smile

If the riders selected are in a class of their own locally' date=' how must they improve if no-one locally can challenge them?
[/quote']

For the time based events you don't need to be challenged - you need to be timed. Head to the gym, do loads of training and measure the improvement. I don't feel that someone on the opposite side of the track really makes you go faster...

For the position based events I tend to agree with you. Somewhat. One or two sortees per year overseas will not raise your game. Being based in Europe/T-Town will. Your times in the "timed based" events will give you an idea if you are world class or not. "Random" visits to European events will not improve our track riders as much as a dedicated local track programme.

I prefer the UK method of doing things - find an event (olympics/world champs etc) then put together a programme leading up to that event. A single visit to a world cup event for "learning" is pointless.

Of course this visit could have been part of a long term programme and I have it completely wrong but given my experience with CSA I think not...actually I'd really like to be wrong in this case and find out that there IS a long term programme for female cyclists in SA leading to the London Olympics! Come on CSA prove me wrong!!!