LBS Bad Quality Work

Acidfreak

how do you get the background in anything in life..

you trouble shoot. if you know that you have a slipping gear. well you know which area to look at and start at the basis.. and if in doubt ask..

there are also plenty of books and info on the web to help out as well as us hubbers that can offer advice.

i work many many years ago in a lbs.. and i can honestly say my services in that shop 10 years ago helped bring in customers. but the machanic's are only as good as your description of faults. they don't normally ride the bikes brought in for services. and use bike stands to repair the bikes thus no load stress is applied while servicing your bike..

basically have a checklist of what you would like done and go in with a full set of complaints to be handles.

but the best advice i can ever give is learn to repair your bike yourself.. only one person to blame.

your bike will normally give warning signs before something fails so learn your bike and look out for the signs.

if you still take it to a lbs and you not happy with the service.. take it back and complain... if they don't help take it somewhere else.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want to tell me you know so little about your bike that you did not check for this before you took recipt of the bike...... shame on you ..... verrrry little sympathy from me.

The so called "extra items" that the LBS added' date=' were they items neccesary to make the bike function that you maybe forgot to commission....mmmmmm???????
[/quote']

Jis, you are rude....some people do know little about bikes....

ps. what is wrong with your ? on your keyboard?

With a book such as Parktool and a Bicycling DVD you can complete any maintenance task, i have stripped a bike using these as refs and using borrowed tools but i prefer not to as its such a hassle not to mention cleaning up afterwards and i have a good relationship with my LBS. Sat i hit a pothole putting my rear wheel out of alignment, popped in and they had it straightened in no time and no cost, they even stayed open a bit later to help me. Besides the cost of tools is quite scary, and you cannot work on a bike with a shifting and a screwdriver.   

Agree with BigH, check your bike after the LBS has worked on it, i cycle round the LBS parking lot for about half an hour and do pick up slight faults occasionally which the sort out pronto. 

With a book such as Parktool and a?Bicycling DVD you can complete any maintenance task' date=' i?have stripped a bike using?these as refs and using borrowed tools but i prefer not to as its such a hassle not to mention cleaning up afterwards and i have a good relationship with my LBS. Sat i hit a pothole putting my rear wheel out of alignment, popped in and they had it straightened?in no time and no cost, they even stayed open a bit later to help me. Besides the cost of tools is quite scary, and you cannot work on a bike with a shifting and a screwdriver.   

?

Agree with BigH, check your bike after the LBS has worked on it, i cycle round the LBS parking lot for about half an hour and do pick up slight faults occasionally which the sort out pronto.?

[/quote']

1/2 an hour wasted to ensure someone does a job properly that you pay them for.. No Way. I don't hare round bmw's parking lot for 1/2 an hour when i get my car back from service.

..........Erm how do you calibrate brake levers causing them to rattle? they are either worn out or not' date=' an adjustment cannot make the lever rattle ( in my 15yrs of experience).........

[/quote']

Big%20smile

Reminds of the time a pilot complained about his engine missing...

Never lived that one down did he...

With a book such as Parktool and a Bicycling DVD you can complete any maintenance task' date=' i have stripped a bike using these as refs and using borrowed tools but i prefer not to as its such a hassle not to mention cleaning up afterwards and i have a good relationship with my LBS. Sat i hit a pothole putting my rear wheel out of alignment, popped in and they had it straightened in no time and no cost, they even stayed open a bit later to help me. Besides the cost of tools is quite scary, and you cannot work on a bike with a shifting and a screwdriver.   

Agree with BigH, check your bike after the LBS has worked on it, i cycle round the LBS parking lot for about half an hour and do pick up slight faults occasionally which the sort out pronto. 

[/quote']

1/2 an hour wasted to ensure someone does a job properly that you pay them for.. No Way. I don't hare round bmw's parking lot for 1/2 an hour when i get my car back from service.

The BMW mechanic does that before you get there.

Seems like most guys do their own repairs and maintenance purely because they trust their own work. I had to start doing it myself since it was starting to cost me an arm and a leg. I now actually prefer doing this since it is lekker making something work / work better than before, there is a sense of accomplishment in it. True, the tools will cost a bit in the beginning but then you have it, and try make this a little project in itself.

All you need is a Saturday afternoon, 6 beers and a couple of tools Wink

All you need is a Saturday afternoon' date=' 6 beers and a couple of tools Wink[/quote']

Now that's a waste, a six pack is better spent watching sport Big%20smile

Agree on all the do it yourself posts, its all just a simple cable tensioned with a spring at the other end. BUt the post and thread is useless without naming the shop, save us the same misfortunes!!!

In my 200 posts on the Hub (Clap) I have said it 1 million times. If you want it done properly' date=' DO IT YOURSELF !!!!![/quote']

Good suggestion, but, if you don't have the background or have not been trained, what do you do?

I took my bike to a LBS, and last year at Sani2C, I had endless problems and whilst riding, on the first day, my crank arm went loose.

Took my bike in for a service  recently, and at the end I have to replace my SRAM shifters, that they have serviced.

Also, didn't picked up that my chain should be replaced. Therefore, with all the adding problems I have to spend an exorbitant amount to replace most components.

Again, why do we have LBS, if they don't service the bike properly, so, by the time you have to ride your bike there will be no problems?

The question arises that most of the mechanics working on the bikes, just do what they think they might be right, without actually have done a course on servicing bikes?

Ok so you don't have the experience to do the job. I bet you never used that excuse when you finally got some chick drunk enough to pop your cherry. The truth is that a bike "mechanic" is a human being, two arms, two legs, a reasonably functioning brain and a bit of common sense. Hopefully you posess these qualities too with the obvious difference being that you actually give a sh!t about your bike. Put a little effort in and learn a lot. It's easier than riding a bike when you know how.

I like the fact that you can make a judgement how I feel about my bike. The question arise, then why do you think I take my bike to a LBS to be serviced.. this is to ensure that my bike is in top notch condition.. this, I spend a lot of money to ensure that nothing is wrong with my bike and well looked after.

Just show you the arrogance you have, making a judgement, without knowing the facts. Plus, as a matter of fact, I know the basics of how to repair a bike or change things on a bike.. even being from the opposite sex.. again, making a judgement, that I will make a chick drunk.. just show me what your mentality might be and what you do..

The question arise, why should I service my bike.. isn't why we have LBS?? Why should I waste time if there is someone employed to do the job??

Again, on thehub, you can't voice your opinion.. there is always a person, who knows more.. makes you think..

Bring your bike to me. I'll fix it for free and put an end to this thread.

I mean it.

Call me on 0823086847, but you will have to help me pronouncing your name.

In my 200 posts on the Hub (Clap) I have said it 1 million times. If you want it done properly' date=' DO IT YOURSELF !!!!![/quote']

Good suggestion, but, if you don't have the background or have not been trained, what do you do?

I took my bike to a LBS, and last year at Sani2C, I had endless problems and whilst riding, on the first day, my crank arm went loose.

Took my bike in for a service  recently, and at the end I have to replace my SRAM shifters, that they have serviced.

Also, didn't picked up that my chain should be replaced. Therefore, with all the adding problems I have to spend an exorbitant amount to replace most components.

Again, why do we have LBS, if they don't service the bike properly, so, by the time you have to ride your bike there will be no problems?

The question arises that most of the mechanics working on the bikes, just do what they think they might be right, without actually have done a course on servicing bikes?

Ok so you don't have the experience to do the job. I bet you never used that excuse when you finally got some chick drunk enough to pop your cherry. The truth is that a bike "mechanic" is a human being, two arms, two legs, a reasonably functioning brain and a bit of common sense. Hopefully you posess these qualities too with the obvious difference being that you actually give a sh!t about your bike. Put a little effort in and learn a lot. It's easier than riding a bike when you know how.

I like the fact that you can make a judgement how I feel about my bike. The question arise, then why do you think I take my bike to a LBS to be serviced.. this is to ensure that my bike is in top notch condition.. this, I spend a lot of money to ensure that nothing is wrong with my bike and well looked after.

Just show you the arrogance you have, making a judgement, without knowing the facts. Plus, as a matter of fact, I know the basics of how to repair a bike or change things on a bike.. even being from the opposite sex.. again, making a judgement, that I will make a chick drunk.. just show me what your mentality might be and what you do..

The question arise, why should I service my bike.. isn't why we have LBS?? Why should I waste time if there is someone employed to do the job??

Again, on thehub, you can't voice your opinion.. there is always a person, who knows more.. makes you think..

Let me translate the meaning of what is highlighted in RED.

You are just as capable of fixing your bike as the oke at the LBS with the added advantage being that you will actually care about what you are doing.

Trusting this clarifies my advice on the matter. Next time if you want to call me a P@#$  just come right out and say it. MBP has a thick skin and has been called worse but I promise MBP will never judge you. If you still want to employ someone to fix your bike then keep taking it back until it is done properly.   

Some peeps are mechanically minded, others are not. Its the way of the world.

Some people service their own cars, others take them in for an oil change and spark plugs.

Same with bikes. If you are not mechanically minded, then you need to find a good mechanic/bike shop. 

Most shops will make good on any error they make. Be sure to take it back. 

I had issues with my LBS about 2 years ago. They were making mistakes on my bike that cost me money and time during races. I changed shops to a smaller "personal service" type shop. Was very happy initially, but after some mistakes that they made (after appointing a jnr mechie) I have bought my own tools and will now be working on my own bike. I mentioned it to the shop and told them that I will still like to use them for major work that I am not equipped and skilled to do, provided that the head mechanic work on my bike. I am saving money now, my bike lasts longer because I can take action as soon as something needs attention and the shop doesn't seem to mind. The only problem is that there are permananently bikes all over the dining room in various stages of assembly and this may start to cause some domestic issues in future Wink