CF Handlebars - How tight?

wonduhboy

Surely the torque settings are stamped on the bar, or in the literature that came with it? Measure with torque wrench...

Do yours not indicate to what NM they should be tightened to ?

My Ritchey's say 5NM if it helps.

Hmmm, haven't checked for that.

Torque wrench? Is this a normal hardware store tool, or a bike specific one?

Go all the way until you hear a cracking noise and then give it half a turn back.  LOL

Thank you, I'll be here till the end of the week.

A mate told me a simple trick if you don't have a torque wrench (he races bikes locally, and builds bikes when not racing them). Use soft fingers on the bike tool - tighten until you can't anymore without stiffening up your fingers.

It is surprisingly accurate.

Do yours not indicate to what NM they should be tightened to ? 

Yes, NM as in Newton Meters... of torque....

And yes, you can get a wrench suitable for this at most hardware stores, it will for sure be cheaper than getting one at a bike shop...

And yes' date=' you can get a wrench suitable for this at most hardware stores, it will for sure be cheaper than getting one at a bike shop...
[/quote']

Yes but some of those does not go as low as 5nm. Some only start at 20.

And yes' date=' you can get a wrench suitable for this at most hardware stores, it will for sure be cheaper than getting one at a bike shop...

[/quote']

Well, yes, but I figured the guy would check before buying that the tool will do the job...

[/quote']

Well, yes, but I figured the guy would check before buying that the tool will do the job...

So if I cant find said measurements - what should I use as an estimation? Or is this asking for trouble?

take it to your LBS - you would actually be rather surprised to find out that a lot of them do not even use torque wrenches.

i do all my carbon to carbon 5.5 NM.

actually went out and bought a torque wrench after cracking my first carbon seat post and use the thing at least once a week!

take it to your LBS - you would actually be rather surprised to find out that a lot of them do not even use torque wrenches.

i do all my carbon to carbon 5.5 NM.

actually went out and bought a torque wrench after cracking my first carbon seat post and use the thing at least once a week!

That is why Probike must get their arses in gear and start stocking these from BBB.

http://www.bbbparts.com/products/accessories/tools/images/torquefix.jpg

Yip 5 Nm is the norm, that is what ITM stipulates as well...........

And here is the big trick....you need to buy a special small torque wrench to get this as the normal industrial ones don't go that low....

Price ?? About R4k

Doc I assume that you use it on your seatpost as well?

yep - i torque everything - even the alu to alu stuff.

washed my bike once and the rear deraileur came off the bike in my hand - suspect it was not tightened  properly and the road vibrations just loosened the  nuts over time.