Cunego out of TDF

2 X 2

I don't know if this is old news.  Maybe there's someone that hasn't seen this yet?

Cunego out of Tour de France
14/06/2007 13:31  - (SA)   <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Milan - Italyon>'s Damiano Cunego has confirmed that will not be participating in this year's Tour de France, despite finishing as the best young rider in the 2006 race.

The 25 year-old finished fifth in the recent Giro d'Italia, which he surprisingly won in 2004, and has decided to race the Tour of Switzerland next instead of the sport's big event.

"I left the Giro d'Italia in excellent condition and having confirmed my decision not to participate in the Tour, I'll try to take advantage of my good shape in a competition with a challenging and stimulating distance like the Tour of Switzerland," Cunego told his Lampre team website.

The Tour of Switzerland starts on June 16 while the Tour de France begins on July 7.

Sounds like a cop out - "I have great form, and I want to beat all the guys who didn't manage to make the TDF teams"....