HELP!!!! Q on MTB shock!!

Beee

HI All,

as you know I got a new MTB.

Now apparently it has a hydraulic shock or something and it needs to be set according to a whole lot of stuff....

Confused

hoe wie waar en wat!!!!

Dirt rider??? MichH???? Anyone.... please help!!!!! I need this info urgently as I'm doing Babbas this Suday and want the bike to be at his best!!!Big%20smile

whats shock do you have?  Name model?  Is it your first Babbas?  If you see me say hi!!  I am the guy with the mountain bike....  hheheehhee LOL

what shock is it? there are usually online users manuals. Its pretty easy to figure out. You set it up according to your weight and how you prefer the shock to respond. You need the correct shock pump of course. If you bought the bike at a shop they should do it for you.

Saffa,

No it's not my first!!! LOL I just don't want to be stuck 20km's from the finish and have to walk all the way!!! hahahaha

Sara, this is what it says on the site: (I'm not very good with specs & stuff so I don't really know...Embarrassed)

'Avid Hydraulic Juicy 5, All new Manitou silver suspensions'

does that help? and no, I don't have a pump like that!!!

the juicies are hydraulic brakes, they do need to be set up properly, bleed ect. They can also be set up for your preference, according to how you want them to respond ...quickly or whatever. the fork on the front is manitou I assume? U need a proper fork pump to set up the pressures in it, if it is air suspension. depon the fork there should be a model name?

Yup, SARA is 100% correct.....I downloaded all the Avid Juicy Five manuals from the SRAM website....they are good!!

About the schock, you can do the same, search for the manual on the net...if that doesn't work, call the LBS for some help

really Bee just find some useful bike boys or walk into the LBS and pull a trembling lip move. sure some nice young man will volunteer to show you ow and then do it all for you. afterall you are a chick with a mtb.

Yup, Sara - you're right!! !Last time I checked I was still a she beee!!!

Ok, so I the easy option is just to go to the LBS then!!!

thanx guys!!!
Beee2007-06-15 02:18:50

oops....my mistake....I thought you were a boykie.....in that case.....you are welcome to come round to my house and i can show you how to fork............sorry i mean setup your fork....

teeheeehee... just kidding and you can still say hi on sunday :)

This is what you do. First find out which knob does what, there should be 3. One on the left upper, one on the right upper and another one on the bottom of one of the legs. One is for lockout, one for stiffness and one for rebound (how fast the fork jumps back to original length). Turn all to their easiest setting. No, sit on the bike in race position and turn the stiffmess knob so that it sags about 15-20mm. Now get off the bike andpush the fork down as far as you can and quickly jerk it up so that the fork expand. Now set the rebound knob so that when you repeat this action, the fork is just a little bit slower to get to full out but the time you get to the top. Does this make sense? The lockout is just there to make the shock move or not. Used when climbing apparently.

Hope this makes sense.

You know it should be fine for the race as long as the brakes stop you when you pull them and the shock bounces but not so that it goes "clunk" ie bottoms out, when you push down hard.

I suggest you first go and do the race to feel out the shock . Babbaas is a nice flat race and a nice place to test bike , shocks , skills etc .

This is what you do. First find out which knob does what' date=' there should be 3. One on the left upper, one on the right upper and another one on the bottom of one of the legs. One is for lockout, one for stiffness and one for rebound (how fast the fork jumps back to original length). Turn all to their easiest setting. No, sit on the bike in race position and turn the stiffmess knob so that it sags about 15-20mm. Now get off the bike andpush the fork down as far as you can and quickly jerk it up so that the fork expand. Now set the rebound knob so that when you repeat this action, the fork is just a little bit slower to get to full out but the time you get to the top. Does this make sense? The lockout is just there to make the shock move or not. Used when climbing apparently.

Hope this makes sense.

[/quote']

an excellent description , I knew you would come around eventuallyBig%20smile

She Beee, Are you good at reading?

good, can you read what the shock says on the long thingy that joins the leg to the wheel?

Then also, your weight (be honest now), height (without heels), picture of you on the bike (for set up purposes and telephone number (so we can communicate our findings) please.

Then we can help you set up the shock properly..

Yours Sincerely

Lefty