Chain & Cassette

American Flyers

I am confused with chain and cassettes because in all the years back I always replace both once the chain start to slip often.

One guy told me to replace chain every 3 months,

Other guy told me to replace chain every +-1500km.

For me, it does not make any sense because it cost me more to replace chain often than both.  Last year I cycled 9000km with one chain and cassette.

Any comments or ideas!!!

I am confused with chain and cassettes because in all the years back I always replace both once the chain start to slip often.

One guy told me to replace chain every 3 months' date='

Other guy told me to replace chain every +-1500km.

For me, it does not make any sense because it cost me more to replace chain often than both.  Last year I cycled 9000km with one chain and cassette.

Any comments or ideas!!!

[/quote']

Do those guys have a financial interest in selling you stuff that often? Nuckin Futs!

No need to change them that regularly.

it does prolong the life of the drivetrain if you change the chain before (sometimes once) it is stretched too much. so does regular cleaning and  lubing. but who actually DOES that. just ride it till its unrideable and you are forced to stop and drop large sums of money...

I just keep[ both my chain and cassette clean and well lubed (not OVER LUBED!!). Done 13 000km on last chain. Only needed to replace chain. Also did this before it reached the point of no return.(this is on a 9 spd groupo. 10 spd wears out a lot faster because of thinner chain and lighter construction thereof)  

I change my chain as soon as my Park tool chain check thingamajick tells me to. Cassettes I change after about 3-4 chains.

Christo,

Are you talking about a Road bike or an MTB.

For a road bike, a chain should last a long time, typically 10 000km.

For an MTB, get one ofthose chain checker jobbies and then use it too establish when you r chain is 0.75% elongated. Replace when it hits this mark.

Christo..... Jou ketting bestaan uit honderde bewegende deeltjies. Om te verseker dat hulle vir hulle beplande leeftyd hou moet hierdie deeltjies skoongehou word. Daar is baie erkende metodes om dit te doen:-

1.) Breek die ketting met 'n chainbreaker, 'n tool wat die rivet uitdruk wat twee ketting dele aanmekaar hou. Was die ketting in 'n reinigings middel of de-greaser wat die vuilheid asook ou besoedelde olie uitwas. Daar is verskeie items op die mark maar lampolie werk die beste. Was die ketting dan met gewone Sunlight Liquid om die oilie basis van die lampolie teverwyder. Laat dit droog word en plaas terug op die fiets. Vervang met 'n spesiale pennetjie as dit 'n Shimano ketting is en olie die ketting met die smeermiddel van jou keuse. Indien dit 'n SRAM ketting is het hulle 'n spesiale skakel wat kan oopskuif sonder gereedskap. Deur elek keer 'n nuwe pennetjie in th sit op Shimano kettings word die ketting verswak.

2.) was die ketting op die fiets , maar doen dit gereeld. Jy kan sommer 'n nat lap neem met Sunlight Liquid daarop en dit om die ketting vou. Beweeg die trappe terwyl jy die ketting toegevou hou en hou aan totdat die seepskuim nie meer vuil is nie. Laat die ketting droogword en olie.

3. Koop vir jou 'n clamshell tipe ketting wasser. Hierdie goed word deur verskeie mense gemaak. BBB en Park maak goie tipes maar almal is ewe goed. Die goed het borsels binne-in wat roteer, met 'n ruimtes vir skoonmaakmiddel. Weereend roteer mens die trappe en die ketting word gewas. Ek was my kettings al vir 'n greuime tyd so en dit is sukselsvol.

Kry ook vir jou die ChainGuage wat deur Park gemaak word en vervang as die ketting buite spesifikasie geslyt het. 

Mostly what they said. However, from my experience:

- I have never gotten more than 5500kms out of a 10s chain, even with regular maintenance

- I have wasted both a chain and cassette in 10000kms trying the lube-often/clean-often strategy

Let's do the math:

1 x Chain = R500 (Campag 10s), lifespan 5000kms

1 x Cassette = R2500 (Campag Record 10s)

Note: Ignoring possible wear on chainrings with excessive mileage, scenario will look different for cheaper components

Strat 1: Replace chain every 5000kms, replace both at 20,000kms

4 chains (R2000)

1 Cassette (R2500)

Total Cost: R4500

Strat 2: Replace chain/cassette every 10000kms

Mileage:

2 Chains (R1000)

2 Cassettes (R5000)

Total Cost: R6000 

I'd go for strategy 1, especially given the risk of stuffing up the chainrings (slim, I know, but expensive to replace).

Rather go Shimano, they last longer, are smoother and way way wya cheaper!!!!!!! That way you may have beer munny as well!!!!!!!

i disagree, shimano wear out quickly, campag lasts forever. I ride with shimano. it obviously depends on how hard you ride the bike, if you do alot of intense training you have to change your chain every 1500km.

Thanks Big H for reviving the pointless Shimano v. Campag debate...

My experience is that I get loads of miles out of my road bike chain (almost 10k), but my mtb is a completely different story.  Last week I replaced my chain when I could JUST fit my 0.75 guage (on the Park tool) into my chain.  This indicates the chain is worn, but the cluster is still OK.  I replaced the chain and it promptly started to jump all over the place!  LBS told me my cluster had gone!  This was the second time this happened, so my advise would be to replce it after a set number of km's.  My mtb style is obviously very hard on chains and clusters, so from now on I will replace every 6 months.  My Park tool will be relegated to road bike duty!

With the MTB I have 4 x chains and rotate them every 250km. I have been doing this since the begining of the year and as yet not had to change the casette. All chains are still OK, Just, and the casette would be OK except that i have bent one of the sprockets. this is causing a problem.

In the past I rode them to faliure and this took about 500 - 700km and all was shot.

go with the rotating schedule. It works.

I know road bikes are different. Mine seems to run on for ever Change chane 1 x per year and the casettes every 2 or 3 years.

My 2c

All the above indicate bad chain maintenance. We have now been going on one MTB Tandem main chain for 3500 km. Forces exerted on Tandem chains are much greater than road chains. The tandem was mostly ridden on gravel and low class surfaced roads. Guys you really have to wash and oil your chains regularly..... please!!!!!!!

What we do need is a proper cassette wear indicator guage. I one saw one the Rohloff makes. Quite ingenious and I will try to find it again. Looked quite easy to make yourself as well.

HP/Big H, My chain is washed and cleaned every time I wash my MTB, which is typically after every muddy/wet ride. If the ride has been dry and only a bit of dust is covers the bike, I just rinse it of.

I lube my chain before and after each ride and on most ocasion during the ride as well if it gets wet.