MTB Wheelset: Built or stock?

Willehond

I am looking at getting an extra wheelset for my mtb to race with.  Is it best to buy a stock set from a major brand (Mavic, Shimano, Easton etc.) or to have your LBS build you a nice set from nice hubs and spokes (DT Swiss etc.)?  Wonder what the best value for money is.

Also what brands would you advise?  I am looking for a reasonable set with sealed hubs and decent spokes for a bike with V-brakes.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I am looking at getting an extra wheelset for my mtb to race with.  Is it best to buy a stock set from a major brand (Mavic' date=' Shimano, Easton etc.) or to have your LBS build you a nice set from nice hubs and spokes (DT Swiss etc.)?  Wonder what the best value for money is.

Also what brands would you advise?  I am looking for a reasonable set with sealed hubs and decent spokes for a bike with V-brakes.

Any advice would be appreciated!
[/quote']

What's your budget?

A mate of mine had a set of wheels built with XTR hubs and Mavic rims (I think) but defanetely XTR hubs (Microsoft wheel builder cant remember the name now too much of the good red wine over lunch).... anyway HE WAS EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH THESE WHEELS..... so I would say consider to have wheels build....

Depends on your weight and riding style.

If you are not "race weight" ie stylish anorexic, and

you tend to ride over rocks and things and not around them

Then

get a set of wheel built for you.

The logic is that after you have buckled a rim, it is less painfull (financially) to replace it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The replacement advantage makes sense, so I might be looking at a built up set.  All I need to figure out now is whether it is good value for money.  My LBS can buils a set anywhere from R1500 to R6000!!!  How do I fugure it all out...

Thanks for the advice guys.

The replacement advantage makes sense' date=' so I might be looking at a built up set.  All I need to figure out now is whether it is good value for money.  My LBS can buils a set anywhere from R1500 to R6000!!!  How do I fugure it all out...
[/quote']

Well, how much do you want to spend? Start there.

You wouldn't go wrong with XTR or DT Swiss hubs, Mavic rims (to suit your weight and riding style) and DT Swiss double-butted spokes.

Myself, I'm on XTR hubs, XC517 rims and DT Swiss double-butted spokes, and they've served me well for 4 years, including 1.5 (don't ask) Cape Epics.

DT Swiss MTB Wheelset with 240s Hubs And XR4.1 Rims

R3,887.02

< =/index.php/product/WH_DT_XC240S. method=post>

An unbeatable level of performance from DT Swiss A fully integrated component package built by the world leaders in wheel technology - ride confident in the knowledge there is no better wheel set available 240s hubs, Aerolite spokes, Prolock hexagonal head black alloy nipples and XR 4.1 rims arranged into a perfectly balanced spoke lacing pattern add up to a super light wheel package

Uses standard DT spares and spokes are replaceable by any cycle shop with wheel building experience - no return to the manufacturer required
Supplied with DT wheel bags.
NB - skewers not included
Weight - 670g front, 820g rear>
This a a special on www.totalcycling.com

I would not mind a set of these.

Hey Willehond

I used Chainreaction cycles, where you can build your own set of wheels according to what you like. I landed a set of Wheels with Hope Hubs & Mavic rims for +-R3 500(given thats about a year ago now) and havent looked back.

Other than that if you are going to build your own wheels localy , i have a set as above of almost brand new DT 240s hubs lying in my garage. That i would let go for a reasonable offer.

Rgds

DSmile

I've just imported a full DT Swiss wheelset (for Discs) from CRC and landed price including VAT was R 4.7k

Rims: 4.2 XC Disc

Hubs: 240s

Spokes: Revolutions

Total weight: 1600g

Thug....you getting discs?

Go custom....if not, get those DT wheels Tridude posted.

I'm not a fan of Shimano hubs since even the XTR hubs still don't use cartridge bearings(well....the 960 didn't, not sure about the 970)

But whatever you do.....don't go cookie-cutter on us and buy Mavic! Wink

Minty Minty....

You should'nt go around recommending hubs based on just bearings.

For what it's worth, Shimano XTR M965 and M975 are fantastic hubs. The M975 freehub is now similar to Dura ace in that it has cartridge bearings but the axle is still supported by proper Cup and cone bearings.

Only companies that cannot afford the machinary to manufacture cup an cone bearings sell cartridge bearing supported axle Hubs.

XTR are the stuff.

Either M965 or M975 are brilliant and super reliable.

I agree with lefty. Cartridge bearings doesnt live up to the hype surrounding it. Nothing comes close to XTR hubs. I've got never ending sh*t with my "high end" cartridge bearing wheels.