what did i do to deserve this?

Tumbleweed

the universe is definitely conspiring against me. i've had the odd dnf in my years of cycling, but this year i'm struggling to make it to the starting line: developed a huge abcess before barberton, my house was burgled before sabie, my dogs were poisoned (they survived, thank god) before the fast one ...

this past friday, on the way to the induna, i got forced off the road by a logging truck. bugsy, my (not so) trusty '74 beetle ended up rearend first in a ditch. after flagging down two passing taxis who (after i promised them money) helped dragg the car out, then i waited with the cops until almost midnight for a tow truck. cops dropped me on the side of the road at the venue. spent most of the morning organising a rental car to get me home.  

car looks like it's a write-off. my bike? luckily it was on the back seat of the car, so it didn't get damaged. some of the locals (who appeared seemingly from nowhere) did, however, treat themselves to some of my cycling kit.   

thanks delgado. just needed to rant. felt better when i did. actually, the ex dropping my boys off for an out-of the-blue visit yesterday arvie dissolved any upset. 

Time to put racing aside for a bit and come have some fun rides with us! It costs less, it's closer to home, and we don't complain too much if something comes up.

So come ride with us, just not on the 21st July 'coz I'll be racing LOL

sounds good, michh. actually thought about that on my way home on saturday. it's amazing how much it costs to ride these damn races, and get away for the weekend (especially in my case). 

i saw you guys start. i was on the phone to the rental company at the time. i only managed to get back to the venue with a car at about noon. was going to stay overnight on the saturday, but i was in a foul mood and just wanted to get home. read your posts on the racing thread. did any of you do the downhill?

smiley36.gif Even his wipe out on the practise lap he still managed to beat my by a few seconds ! But I had to stop for a smoke !

least i didn't get too badly hurt. this on the news wires this morning:

A woman has been airlifted to hospital after her car and a truck 00 travelling on the wrong side of the road -- collided in Johannesburg on Monday, metro police said.
Inspector Edna Mamonyane said the truck driver lost control and veered onto the wrong side of the road.
"A lady went to drop off her child at a pre-school near Weltevreden Park, and on her way back she collided head-on with a truck travelling on the wrong side of the road."
ER24 spokeswoman Riana Beech said: "A Toyota Corolla and a truck collided head-on, on Jim Fouche (drive).
"The car is stuck under the truck and there is one female driver in the car. She is in a critical condition."
Emergency services have since freed the woman from under the truck.
Emergency Services spokesman Malcolm Midgley said it took an hour and a half to free her.
She has been air lifted to Milpark hospital with very serious injuries, said Mamonyane.

Something similar happened to my dad a few years ago. 7pm on a Wednesday night, on his way home driving through the S bends on Barry Hertzog and a bus driving on the wrong side of the road collided with him head on. He was lucky that he swerved away, but the bus still took off half the bonnet before stopping. My dad nearly died on the way to Milpark and was in High Care for a few days, but due to being cycling fit, he pulled through. Very scary.

Oh and according to a taxi driver on the scene, the bus driver had reversed into him and when he had tried to exchange details, the guy went crazy, punched him and drove off swerving all over the road. Makes you wonder what lose control means...
MichH2007-06-18 05:18:51

eish, mich, that's hectic. similar thing happened when i hit a taxi on my bike last year. apparently (i was unconscious) the driver had me by the collar and was about to punch me. luckily a big east rand boykie saw what was going on and pounced on him