Pics & Vids that make you want to ride...

Iwan Kemp

2 hours ago, REALLY FAST said:

My own gopro vids cos I see the mistakes and wanna get out there and get better

I can relate to the lines you took!!!! The Beast is looking ruff, never noticed that ramp @ 0:52! 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Eddy Gordo said:

When did the name change? I was under the impression its called broken road

I've only heard it referred to as the Beast but think it can be called either. Beast sounds cooler than Broken Road though.

48 minutes ago, capediver said:

I can relate to the lines you took!!!! The Beast is looking ruff, never noticed that ramp @ 0:52! 

I watch my footage and regret taking the safer/easier lines but I wanna progress without getting hurt if I can.

Big fan of Beast, have hit it 3 or 4 times so far. I like that second drop - I wanna hit it faster. A week or so ago there were two big loose rocks lying on the edge of the second drop.

On 3/4/2023 at 9:20 AM, REALLY FAST said:

My own gopro vids cos I see the mistakes and wanna get out there and get better

Thanks for this, is Beast the last bit at the end of Donkey trail ? Looks very similar.

Sho DH1 & 2 smell like OTB to me on my XC bike with my current MTB skills and confidence. Maybe I should organise a few trips to tokai to smash the snakes trails a few times to get confidence again !

Since we're on the homemade videos, here's one from earlier this season (the only time I took the gopro to a race, had to make it worth it 😅)

Otherwise two more I saw today, one very impressive, one really funny including a rider I really really like, usually for other reasons

On 3/4/2023 at 1:15 PM, REALLY FAST said:

I've only heard it referred to as the Beast but think it can be called either. Beast sounds cooler than Broken Road though.

I watch my footage and regret taking the safer/easier lines but I wanna progress without getting hurt if I can.

Big fan of Beast, have hit it 3 or 4 times so far. I like that second drop - I wanna hit it faster. A week or so ago there were two big loose rocks lying on the edge of the second drop.

I love beast. One of my favourite trails in tokai. Super fast and flowy, with the right amount of sketchiness due to all the loose rocks. 

It might sound counter intuitive, but if you are on a longish travel bike, sometimes plowing through the gnarliest lines on beast is much faster. It is sketchy and loose, but much, much faster if you know where to plow, and where to stick with the smooth stuff.

Also I know this is said a lot, but crashing is a part of riding, and while I also look to avoid it, it is a good skill to learn, as bailing well will save you from some big injuries later on.

Also on dh1, rolling/jumping the boulder is waaaaay faster than going around, and much more flowy, as you don't lose all your speed.

2 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I love beast. One of my favourite trails in tokai. Super fast and flowy, with the right amount of sketchiness due to all the loose rocks. 

It might sound counter intuitive, but if you are on a longish travel bike, sometimes plowing through the gnarliest lines on beast is much faster. It is sketchy and loose, but much, much faster if you know where to plow, and where to stick with the smooth stuff.

Also I know this is said a lot, but crashing is a part of riding, and while I also look to avoid it, it is a good skill to learn, as bailing well will save you from some big injuries later on.

Also on dh1, rolling/jumping the boulder is waaaaay faster than going around, and much more flowy, as you don't lose all your speed.

The goal is to pump Beast to the max ,hit all the gnar parts and minimize riding in the centre of it as much as possible.

Has become a habit going around it that boulder on DH1. I rode it Wednesday and thought to myself why aren't you rolling it . All but that drop towards the end have become flowy and comfortable now. I'm gonna roll the boulder next time.

Been thinking about the drop on DH2 which I'm told is easy but scary cause you can't really see the landing from the take off, would do that before the drop at the end of DH1 I think. 

Nearly bailed hitting the big step down after the jump line on DH3 with not enough speed or pop/preload - that's also on the eventual to do list.

I like the progression you see when you ride with a GoPro often. I got one bail on Cobra on GoPro. I was completely unscathed so think I was skillful there - the lack of speed also helped, might post that some time. 

1 hour ago, REALLY FAST said:

The goal is to pump Beast to the max ,hit all the gnar parts and minimize riding in the centre of it as much as possible.

Has become a habit going around it that boulder on DH1. I rode it Wednesday and thought to myself why aren't you rolling it . All but that drop towards the end have become flowy and comfortable now. I'm gonna roll the boulder next time.

Been thinking about the drop on DH2 which I'm told is easy but scary cause you can't really see the landing from the take off, would do that before the drop at the end of DH1 I think. 

Nearly bailed hitting the big step down after the jump line on DH3 with not enough speed or pop/preload - that's also on the eventual to do list.

I like the progression you see when you ride with a GoPro often. I got one bail on Cobra on GoPro. I was completely unscathed so think I was skillful there - the lack of speed also helped, might post that some time. 

Riding in the centre in some parts of beast is a lot faster. 1 or 2 of the corners make it slower than the straight-line, so I tend to skip those when going for speed. Also I jump everything on beast, like everything, and I find that makes it smoother, because you can't be affected by rough stuff when in the air. It also makes it very fun haha

Rolling the boulder is so easy, I was honestly confused why I hadn't been doing it from the very first time I rode dh1.

The dh2 drop isn't hard, and it makes the trail more flowy.

The dh1 drop isn't the hardest, but it isn't to be messed with. A guy I used to ride with (a very, very skilled rider) broke his back on that drop. Other skilled guys have also crashed on that drop a lot. If your speed is wrong, you can land with not enough time to turn, and get really hurt. Definitely one to treat with a lot of respect.

11 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Riding in the centre in some parts of beast is a lot faster. 1 or 2 of the corners make it slower than the straight-line, so I tend to skip those when going for speed. Also I jump everything on beast, like everything, and I find that makes it smoother, because you can't be affected by rough stuff when in the air. It also makes it very fun haha

Rolling the boulder is so easy, I was honestly confused why I hadn't been doing it from the very first time I rode dh1.

The dh2 drop isn't hard, and it makes the trail more flowy.

The dh1 drop isn't the hardest, but it isn't to be messed with. A guy I used to ride with (a very, very skilled rider) broke his back on that drop. Other skilled guys have also crashed on that drop a lot. If your speed is wrong, you can land with not enough time to turn, and get really hurt. Definitely one to treat with a lot of respect.

Yeah that turn you're landing into looks a bit hectic - it definitely has my respect that DH1 drop.

Roll the DH1 boulder and the DH2 drop - goals for next Tokai ride. 

A friend on I rode with on Wednesday told me Mamba has a new berm. I want to ride the Snake trails more aggressively as well - decisions decisions.

Some more of my GP footage ^

22 hours ago, REALLY FAST said:

Yeah that turn you're landing into looks a bit hectic - it definitely has my respect that DH1 drop.

Roll the DH1 boulder and the DH2 drop - goals for next Tokai ride. 

A friend on I rode with on Wednesday told me Mamba has a new berm. I want to ride the Snake trails more aggressively as well - decisions decisions.

Some more of my GP footage ^

Don't roll the dh2 drop. It seems like a pretty easy way to go otb into the rock after it and loose a few teeth. Please only ride it when you are capable and comfortable with dropping it and fully committing. 

8 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Don't roll the dh2 drop. It seems like a pretty easy way to go otb into the rock after it and loose a few teeth. Please only ride it when you are capable and comfortable with dropping it and fully committing. 

Roll the boulder and drop the drop I meant. Def rolling the boulder at the minimum. Will see how it goes. I ride full face when I do the dh's now so think my teeth would be intact. Heard a horror story about someone needing facial reconstructive surgery after a bail- motivated me to go full face.

49 minutes ago, REALLY FAST said:

Roll the boulder and drop the drop I meant. Def rolling the boulder at the minimum. Will see how it goes. I ride full face when I do the dh's now so think my teeth would be intact. Heard a horror story about someone needing facial reconstructive surgery after a bail- motivated me to go full face.

I don't ride full face - nobody riding tokai really does. IMO and IME it's overkill, and I find it a bit distracting and also you look like a kook if you are wearing a fullface and not absolutely ripping haha

But do whatever makes you feel more comfortable and confident. I have fallen and cut my face up pretty bad, but I think it would take a broken jaw or similar to make me go fullface.

7 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I don't ride full face - nobody riding tokai really does. IMO and IME it's overkill, and I find it a bit distracting and also you look like a kook if you are wearing a fullface and not absolutely ripping haha

But do whatever makes you feel more comfortable and confident. I have fallen and cut my face up pretty bad, but I think it would take a broken jaw or similar to make me go fullface.

Lol

• 9 months later...