Advice needed, new MTB

Christie

I have to start thinking about getting an MTB for the mrs. Im thinking along the lines of a full suspension trail bike, definitely not a speed machine. She rides a small.

Frame:

I saw a 2005 Cdale Prophet with alloy lefty on CRC for R12147, and a 2006 Rush & carbon lefty for R17000. Any good, & good price? I read on another thread that Lefty's dont work well on S frames.

I would also look at a Santa Cruz Blur, don't know prices.

Group:

XT disc, R5120 on totalcycling.com. Good price?

I would prefer SRAM, any good places to shop on the net?

Wheels:

I want to get nice wheels that I can borrow as well to race with. Saw Crossmax going for +/- R5000 on totalcycling.com. Any good? They have nice DT Swiss wheels too, but looks like v-btrake only.

Any advice would be appreciated, I know very little about MTB stuff, where to shop, & what is a good price.

Is she a member of TCS? If not then try a Giant Anthem. For R17 000 you can get the nice 2 or maybe the 1. Or maybe the Trance.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the Anthem. Shes not a TCS member, but my get sucked in soon, so perhaps I should get het a Giant before she wants only Cannondale! Problem with a Lefty is I wont be able to borrow her front wheel Thumbs%20Down 

I wouldn't go for a Giant, seems that the top tubes bend rather easily Big%20smile

Thug, they bend easily when thrown at an unsuspecting rock at 50km/hr! I think she should be OK!

if you're looking for a women-specific giant, i believe there's not that much stock in the country (although they're bringing in a new shipment of goodies this week, i've heard).

I know someone who may be selling her Giant ladies specific. Call Gail on 0118888868

Just get this

II

II

\  II  /

\ II /

\II/

\/
MintSauce2007-06-19 06:59:57

Christie.

The Cannondales are expensive for someone that will be doing mostly (all?) recreational riding.

Have a look at Merida, Giant, Raleigh (RM6 is nice).  They offer good value for money and you can get a decent grouppo and wheels.

I would not bother with a FS.  The hardtail would be more than good enough!!!!  (Unless you guys are planning to go do the Epic??)

I agree with spinnekop, something like an RM6 would be perfect. If you are dead set on a full sus then check out the anthem 1 laides, retails for +- 17500. nice spec and comes with a sweet looking white fox f80rl fork.

My wife and I both ride Giant Anthem2. Very happy with it.

Much depends on your wife's intended riding style, but for XC use the Anthem does the job well. It is suited for racing, but will also work for recreational use.

The Anthem only has 3.5" travel, so strictly speaking is not a "trail" bike.

If you need more travel look at something like the Giant Trance.

Does not sound as if budget is a major problem, so you could go Cannondale if you want to spend that kind of money. Out of my budget.

R13k will buy you the Giant Anthem2.

Anthem 1 is around 20K; same frame but higher spec components.

mountain_lion2007-06-19 13:44:17

I pinged the mrs. with all the suggestions. She looked at the pics I showed her of the different bikes. I like the look of the Ralegh hardtails, especially the carbon ones. What do they sell for?

She preferred the colour of the Giant Trance, silver & blue. (Spinnekop, you were right colour is 80% of the issue) She still wants fill sus, but wants to ride one first before making up her mind.

Perhaps the solution is to buy a Raleigh hardtail, fit a suspension seatpost and have CycleArt spray it silver&blue?