#numbercollectionsmustfall : PLEASE, PLEASE!!!

Spinnekop

Spidey agree that is the ideal solution. But you have been saying this for 6 years and still no change. So i dont think we are going to get that anytime soon.

In terms of reliability would it help if the idea was improved (1) the person collects entries in second last day of collection so there is still a day to sort out if some kind of problem (2) you receive sms to confirm that your number has been collected (on say the thursday).

If we going to be fetching our numbers from this person the day before(normally a Saturday) it would mean they would have to drive around to certain meeting spots(big shopping centres?) all day and because he would have to cover the majority of joburg it would need to be during a certain time frame(an hour or 2 at each spot). Other option is to have a few people doing it at different spots. All of a sudden I don't think it will cost R30 anymore.

It would only be convenient for me if I can go after work during the week.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear printing your number on ordinary A4 type paper wont work. The numbers issued for Fast One were on what i would consider quite good quality and still the route was littered with numbers that had come loose. Something more permanent needs to be attached.

Screw the number. Give each licenced rider his/her own web page/profile. This can then store your up to date status, your batch, your next of kin contacts, blood group, medical aid all the needed ICE details, and further include a picture of the rider. The commi's can then check that someone isn't using your number. 

This adds value to your yearly fee - gives you something immediately tangible, and for the safety aspect I feel it is worth it. Could possibly add a small monthly fee onto it as well to increase their income.

Hand out stickers, or you design velcro patches then incorporate little patches of the material into official race clothing. Already developed:

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/images/thumbnails/TMC1535B.jpg

If we going to be fetching our numbers from this person the day before(normally a Saturday) it would mean they would have to drive around to certain meeting spots(big shopping centres?) all day and because he would have to cover the majority of joburg it would need to be during a certain time frame(an hour or 2 at each spot). Other option is to have a few people doing it at different spots. All of a sudden I don't think it will cost R30 anymore.

It would only be convenient for me if I can go after work during the week.

You are misunderstanding my suggestion. The pick up would always be on race morning. However the intermediary would pick up numbers on the 2nd last day of collections, just in case there is a problem (eg organisers dont have a number etc). This method provides oppurtunity for cyclist to still make a plan if there was a collection problem (hopefully never). To make cyclists feel comfortable all is in hand once the number is collected the intermediary sms's the cyclist to let them know that their number has been collected and they will see them on sunday/saturday at the race at specified meeting point.

It wil take a leap of faith to use the service once, but once it is proven people will be comfortable.

Screw the number. Give each licenced rider his/her own web page/profile. This can then store your up to date status, your batch, your next of kin contacts, blood group, medical aid all the needed ICE details, and further include a picture of the rider. The commi's can then check that someone isn't using your number. 

This adds value to your yearly fee - gives you something immediately tangible, and for the safety aspect I feel it is worth it. Could possibly add a small monthly fee onto it as well to increase their income.

Hand out stickers, or you design velcro patches then incorporate little patches of the material into official race clothing. Already developed:

On second thought, would anyone be interested in joining me in investigating the possibility of actually doing this? Can anyone think of any issues off the top of their head?

How cool is this idea......!!!

Like 21st century stuff...

If only this technology was available to human kind......

wait a minute.....

I think the idea is good, but incomplete for licensed cats.

Race numbers do have another use in elite / women's / vets racing:

Commissaires write down notes from the car.  Who was sighted when and where?  Who dropped off the back?  Who crossed the white line?  This gets used (presumably) for sanctions, and for referring back when there's a dispute about whether John Doe was actually in the break.  It also gets used for intermediate sprint points, king and queen of the hill, etc.

In some races it's also used to record the winner (no chips)

So the commissaires do need an identifier that they can use from the car while the bunch is racing at 40 km/h.  That's why the licensed cats have number boards.

On second thought, would anyone be interested in joining me in investigating the possibility of actually doing this? Can anyone think of any issues off the top of their head?

3500 riders (Like the Fast One this past weekend) storming into batches.

How do you know who entered and who not? 

And if they are in the correct batch?

The only real way it will work is you get a number for the year, i.e your CSA licence number and then you attach to your bike the same as the elites do.

Only problem is that not everyone is a CSA member and there are many who buy day licences... for them it should be the normal collection... as it is likely they will be the ones wanting that last minute item at the collection shop for race day.

It should be a win win for both event organiser/frequent racer and noob racer

1. Even Organiser cuts down on printing cost, which can go to better goodie bags for noob racers
  2. Frequent racer already has a number and will only need to perhaps collect a seeding sticker on the morning of the race.. as most are not fussed about the goodie bag
  3. Noob racer collects number as we currently do, gives shop foot fall of those getting into cycling/racing...and will be likely the ones last minute shopping for tubes/gels/new kit etc.... as frequent racers are unlikely to buy anyway

There should be an option when you renew your CSA licence to have the permanent race number (different colour for each year as the licence is) so that you can attach to a race board behind the seatpost

Could always ask Roberto (Panda)

There used to be a place on Beyers that advertised that kind of stuff.

The only real way it will work is you get a number for the year, i.e your CSA licence number and then you attach to your bike the same as the elites do.

Only problem is that not everyone is a CSA member and there are many who buy day licences... for them it should be the normal collection... as it is likely they will be the ones wanting that last minute item at the collection shop for race day.

It should be a win win for both event organiser/frequent racer and noob racer

1. Even Organiser cuts down on printing cost, which can go to better goodie bags for noob racers
  2. Frequent racer already has a number and will only need to perhaps collect a seeding sticker on the morning of the race.. as most are not fussed about the goodie bag
  3. Noob racer collects number as we currently do, gives shop foot fall of those getting into cycling/racing...and will be likely the ones last minute shopping for tubes/gels/new kit etc.... as frequent racers are unlikely to buy anyway

There should be an option when you renew your CSA licence to have the permanent race number (different colour for each year as the licence is) so that you can attach to a race board behind the seatpost

At last, someone's thinking, could work.  

3500 riders (Like the Fast One this past weekend) storming into batches.

How do you know who entered and who not? 

And if they are in the correct batch?

One extra timing mat as you roll each batch to the start will tell you if there's someone in the wrong batch.

Someone paying attention to the timing mat at the finish could probably catch 90% of those that rode without a chip, and ask those ppl for their number.

• 11 months later...

So many good ideas.

Another year.  Another nothing. 

One number.  For the year.  Pickup once.

Scan me at the enter shoot (like the MTB races are done in their thousands)

The scan will confirm my CSA license.  Batch.  Valid entry.

This is not rocket science.

So many good ideas.

Another year.  Another nothing. 

One number.  For the year.  Pickup once.

Scan me at the enter shoot (like the MTB races are done in their thousands)

The scan will confirm my CSA license.  Batch.  Valid entry.

This is not rocket science.

Maybe pitch the idea to the guys at racetech. They are at most of the races in any way. 

It's time they start listening. How come the paddling community get this right? With paddling, you register with Canoeing SA every year through your affiliated club. You get your number the first time you register, and keep it every year.

When you enter a race, they know through your number and the Canoeing SA database who you are, where you live and who your next of kin are. Simple. All this in a sport where they hardly charge you more than R120 a race.