#numbercollectionsmustfall : PLEASE, PLEASE!!!

Spinnekop

So what do you suggest?

Muchness of what G24 said, only I would have the year stamped on the permanent number and each year this is renewed, keeping the same number. For each race something like a sticker, different color for distance and marked with batch to indicate that you have entered the race. Most races do not require chips so there needs to be something other than a link to your chip to prevent cyclist just tagging along without a chip, using the refreshments and taking a medal from a paying rider. 

Edited by scotty

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just on the honesty thing, I know of a number cyclist including a few hubbers that have ridden races they have not entered, they enter 2 or 3 a year for seeding the rest they do not enter but ride as training, they have Strava as proof  ;)

Edited by scotty

Muchness of what G24 said, only I would have the year stamped on the permanent number and each year this is renewed, keeping the same number. For each race something like a sticker, different color for distance and marked with batch to indicate that you have entered the race. Most races do not require chips so there needs to be something other than a link to your chip to prevent cyclist just tagging along without a chip, using the refreshments and taking a medal from a paying rider. 

Where and when would one get the sticker? Number Sticker collection  :whistling:

Where and when would one get the sticker? Number Sticker collection :whistling:

print it out and stick it on the board with pritt.... wet it with a sponge to remove.. would be interesting to see how well that would survive rain

Open groups can have a number for life, but licensed would change once they reach the next 5-yr age group - once they pay for a licence, they get their number (that's the proof that they have purchased a licence).

The year is fine, but colour coded makes it easier to spot if someone is using a number from the previous year. 

Maybe the first step is to clarify if CSA actually requires the number to be the piece of paper provided by the organisers or whether you are allowed to print the issued number on your own material. 

All I have seen wrt regulations is "All entrants to have a minimum of one back number". Not sure if there's more to it. 

Clearly there are many suggestions out there and some of them are really quite good. But CSA seems unlikely to actually do anything to change things so they might need a little push.

So hence why I asked if the rules allow you the self-print. Because if large numbers of people (read Hubbers) starts turning up with self printed numbers with just the number and something like #OneNumberForLife on it, maybe someone notices and does something about it. 

As long as the (frame and) bib number complies to the correct dimensions, then it's possible to do.

I'll try find the regulations for the correct sizes - I did get a copy last year.

Here's the link to the post where I posted the dimensions of the frame number and bib number

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/156548-event-the-value-logistics-fast-one/page-10?do=findComment&comment=2805998

Images posted here for convenience...

post-1372-0-20772900-1454094178.png

post-1372-0-47271600-1454094162.png

post-1372-0-45572200-1454094160.png

Where and when would one get the sticker? Number Sticker collection  :whistling:

You will need something for race registration, need not be a sticker although the need for pins will be obsolete and littering will be less. I know of 3 riders, 1 a hubber that rode the Carnival without officially entering. 

Orgs and clubs can put pressure on CSA to allow collection on race day for both lic and open and orgs ensure they have the manpower to man the collection points. Having been a marshal at the start of races I've seen CSA officials standing around, CSA should be working for us not the other way round, they do after all take a slice from each entrant. 

Edited by scotty

Don't even get me started on actually entering for races. Every time I want to enter a race, I find that they have a new website and I have to register from the start, create profiles and whatnot.

Just tried to enter my son for the WP MTB XCO race this weekend. New site, new profile, etc. Then tried to renew his CSA membership. Another new site and registration process. It never stops.

Last time i did this race i made my own number and nobody gave me grief about it .I still got my racetec time.There is noway i am driving to the race venue twice in 2 days .If it does not  work ,it will be my last out of town road event 

I dont ride races anymore, for this reason and others. Most races are R300+ a entry, and im talking one day races. On roads i can ride for free on any other day or pay R700 for a year. One entry is equal to half a year in jonkershoek. Just doesnt sit right with me. I am turning into a shloop since being married i guess.

We HAD permanent numbers. 

We did not have to drive all the way to a race venue to collect a damn piece of paper.

Timing was done by hand.  And it was correct.

Times have changed, sure.

Timing chips are now a "must have" based on the sheer number of participants.

The permanent number was taken away because co. like Cyclelab/Cycleevents/Racetec started to force you to go to their shop to pick up a number.  Race organisers thought this to be the answer.  And we have stuck to that for years now.....

We HAD permanent numbers. 

We did not have to drive all the way to a race venue to collect a damn piece of paper.

Timing was done by hand.  And it was correct.

Times have changed, sure.

Timing chips are now a "must have" based on the sheer number of participants.

The permanent number was taken away because co. like Cyclelab/Cycleevents/Racetec started to force you to go to their shop to pick up a number.  Race organisers thought this to be the answer.  And we have stuck to that for years now.....

I have no problem to collect my number at a shop online shop :ph34r:

I think the idea is good, but incomplete for licensed cats.

Race numbers do have another use in elite / women's / vets racing:

Commissaires write down notes from the car.  Who was sighted when and where?  Who dropped off the back?  Who crossed the white line?  This gets used (presumably) for sanctions, and for referring back when there's a dispute about whether John Doe was actually in the break.  It also gets used for intermediate sprint points, king and queen of the hill, etc.

In some races it's also used to record the winner (no chips)

So the commissaires do need an identifier that they can use from the car while the bunch is racing at 40 km/h.  That's why the licensed cats have number boards.

Fair enough, but they don't spend 4 hours in traffic? They have someone collecting numbers on their behalf..

3500 riders (Like the Fast One this past weekend) storming into batches.

How do you know who entered and who not? 

And if they are in the correct batch?

This has complications at the moment as well - I know of people that have photoshopped numbers and printed them out. This at least has a new measure of control built in as well.

However, I have given this some thought - quite a bit of thought, and have almost an entire ecosystem thought out. Part of creating the system I mentioned, you would be able to list your LBS, and the organiser can then better plan out delivery etc. so the LBS are seeing an increase in sales - I have thought out a seeding system as well. Just run into my limits technically and financially.. :(

If anyone wants to meet up to discuss in JHB, I'd be happy to..

Hi guys,

I have not read all 16 pages, but for the Amashove the organisers courier your number to you if you ask. Very convenient and saves a stack of time and trouble.

Regards

Sarge

Someone should have done something about this. This thread started in 2010. 

Maybe this would work:

Permanent number like the PPA's in the Mother City. Only change when seeding moves up [obviously]. Change of colour with the season. Then after entering for a race, we get an attachment to print on the confirmation email as proof of entry and we present it to the Marshalls at the start.

We don't really have to have stickers on our backs. Racetec will then have a number of people who entered for the race and only those will have results showing.

I think this is simple. Sorry if mentioned before.