Hillcrest & Contermanskloof linkup

dirtman

Thanks for the comments Mario - it makes the weeks toiling away at Hillcrest worthwhile.

Just some more info - we have started working last week on another farm in the Durbanville area where we will have another 15 km of trails - at least 8 km will be single track. The trails will be flatter that Hillcrest and easier to ride.  It will take about 7 weeks to build.     

Great! Can't wait. I love Hillcrest and it is so close to home.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirtman, thanks for all the hard work on the trails, it really is appreciated.

I have to ask though, are there plans to make any technical trails up there? I've ridden the short section of single black on the other side of Contermans, as nice as it is, it really is too short. I'm not talking about pure downhill bike only tracks but something more challenging than the Hillcrest stuff though?

Looks like I will have to tackle these routes tomorrow!!!!! been thinking about it for ages, just never get the 'umph' to get out there.... tomorrow then, here I come ........

Lilo, if it was tough for you, believe me I will stick to the green route!!!!

Thanks Tygerberg Club, Dirtman and helpers for these awesome new routes and trails.

Ok... so am still in awe of the fantastic ride today.... started in Durbanville, through to D'aira and then across to Hillcrest... stunning and challenging.

Well worth every ounce of effort, but I am sure it will get better the fitter I get!!!!!  Saw a fair amount of riders, and all very friendly and having fun.

Till next week-end...........

x x x x x

Oh WOW!!

Went out with Marius and Lilo. Marius were a bit tender after his lay-down ;-) on Saturday, so he went for a tar ride and me and Lilo tackled the red route!!

Really really awesome ride, nice flowing tracks is just the sizzles! but i need some training on those switchback, this noob is just pathectic.

GREAT JOB TO THE TYGERBERG CLUB...

keep up the good work boyz

PS.: Pity we missed you pedal. next time.

BMC... I will need a lot more training before I keep up with You, Lilo and MARIUS!!!!  But wasn't the trail just fantastic?  Walked all the switchbacks and also over the bridge/see-saw!!!!!!!Embarrassed  cannot justify falling for the sake of ego!!!!

See you soon on the trail.

Walked all the switchbacks and also over the bridge/see-saw!!!!!!!Embarrassed  cannot justify falling for the sake of ego!!!!

See you soon on the trail.

LOL LOL I took one look at that and thought "I'm to old for this". Got off and walked over the bridge.

LOL

Dirtman' date=' thanks for all the hard work on the trails, it really is appreciated.

I have to ask though, are there plans to make any technical trails up there? I've ridden the short section of single black on the other side of Contermans, as nice as it is, it really is too short. I'm not talking about pure downhill bike only tracks but something more challenging than the Hillcrest stuff though?
[/quote']

Unfortunately no plans for more techical stuff - we have limited space on Hillcrest anyway, but the main reason is that  more techical stuff increases the risk of accidents and there are areas on Hillcrest that are quite difficult to reach should one need to evacuate an injured rider.  We have therefore decided to stick to XC trails that can be ridden by the majority of riders and leave the technical stuff for Tokai and Jonkers (and some next door at Contermans). 

Where exactly do the trails in Contermans start? Are there maybe a few guys who ride together who wouldn't mind me tagging along...

need to tag this thread!

when will there be another groupride going over all 3 trails and can i as non-member pay to join such a ride

any discount for amariders ?? ;-)

Was busy posting an invite for a ride covering the whole route this Saturday, when I thought to have a look at the weather forecast first.  Forecast (see below) says 13 mm of rain, so no ride this weekend.  If forecast changes, I will post a new invite.  

Saturday Day

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/icons/standard/wx/45x45/18.gifRain
High23?C
RealFeel?:22?C
Winds:W at 25km/h
Wind Gusts:53 km/h
Max UV Index:Moderate (4)
Thunderstorm
Probability:
69%
Amount of Precipitation:13.5mm
Amount of Rain:13.5mm
Amount of Snow:0.00cm
Hours of Precipitation:6 Hrs
Hours of Rain:6 Hrs
Hours of Daylight:11.1 Hrs

New weather forecast shows good weather for Saturday - so the ride is on.  See details below as per Tygerberg MTB club e-mail.  Start at bottom of Jip de Jager at Majik at 7 am or link up at D'Aria wine cellar at 7.20 am.  If you are non-Tygerberg members who want to join, you are welcome - just see permit fees below.  I will be wearing a Tygerberg club kit and will be riding a black and silver Giant Anthem -just ask for Braam.  Hope to meet some of you on Saturday.

Join us for the most popular ride of the year so far. Meet at the bottom of Majik Forest for a ride over to Contermanskloof and back, taking in D'Aria, Bloemendal, Nitida's 'Green Corridor', Hillcrest and Contermanskloof. 40km, +/- 4 hours. A shorter 25km option is available, that will turn around at Hillcrest (2.5hrs).   Optional start at D'Aria at 07.20, where you can join the peloton as it cruises past...

Depending on numbers, we will run two groups, Hares and Tortoises (if you wish to lead either group, let me know).  Bring R25 for a  CK permit, unless you have an annual pass. You are welcome to bring non-members, but they must bring R25 for Hillcrest and R25 for CK.  Rating:-MODERATE to DIFFICULT

Saturday Day<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

Sunshine and patchy clouds

High

20?C

RealFeel?:

19?C

Winds:

SSE at 20km/h

Wind Gusts:

25 km/h

Max UV Index:

Moderate (4)

Thunderstorm
Probability:

0%

Amount of Precipitation:

0.0mm

Amount of Rain:

0.0mm

Amount of Snow:

0.00cm

Hours of Precipitation:

0 Hrs

Hours of Rain:

0 Hrs

Hours of Daylight:

11.0 Hrs

OOOOOHHHH LEKKA

No, to organize a babysitter as the wife is working on Saturday!!!