Online Shopping,..... Problems not only in RSA

Hendrik Petoors

Copied form the Banford Bike Website:-

Shimano bids Branford Bike Adieu

Shimano America is implementing a new distribution program that authorizes select retailers to sell Shimano products via the web and mail order. In a recent letter to Branford Bike Shimano America stated that the purpose of their new sales policy was to "ensure that consumers are provided with the highest levels of service, receive proper product and warranty information, and that Shimano's products are promoted in a manner that furthers Shimano's reputation for quality products."

We called Shimano America and asked George Eubanks, the policy creator, for a clarification. George Eubanks stated that he was not familiar with Branford Bike and then added that we were not on Shimano's list of six "authorized web retailers". However if we agreed to stop selling all Shimano products over the web we would still be allowed to purchase them for resale through a brick and mortar store. We explained to him that we only sold Shimano products via our online catalog and previously with a paper catalog. We added that Branford Bike has sold Shimano products for over 28 years and currently serviced riders on every continent including Antarctica. George Eubanks explained that this was their policy. However in a year or so there may be an opening and we could apply for "authorized web retailer" then. He added that soon they would be sending a list of banned retailers to Shimano distributors. He assured us that we would be included on that list if we continued to sell Shimano products via our online catalog.

As a result we have decided to discontinue all Shimano products from our Online catalog. Many are on sale already and they will be removed from our catalog once our stocks are sold out. We regret that we can no longer offer Shimano's fine products to our customers around the world. If you would like to speak with Shimano America or George Eubanks you may call them at 800-423-2420 or fax them at 800-206-0010. You may also call them at (949)951-5003.

Lyk my ons het 'n monopolie aan die kom.  En raai wat, SRam het tot nou nogs NIKS gese nie (sorry oom Hendrik).  Lyk my dis nie net Campag se comp wat trolls is nie!

Pathetic !!

Not only do the manufacturers want to maximise their profits, they are now looking at controlling the retail sector as well and telling the buying public whom we can purchase from!

Hmmm.... I am sure one of these days we will have the "Made in China" version of Shimano available!!
You mean Made in China but finished (boxed) in America

Hmmm.... I am sure one of these days we will have the "Made in China" version of Shimano available!!

and it'll be "shimona", not "shimano". imagine shopping for your bike parts at the bruma flea marketLOLLOLLOLLOL

ewep ou seun, moet asseblief nie verward raak nie. Jy hoef regtig nie die stink gehalte van SRAM te verdedig nie, maar die beskikbaarheid van Shimano produkte aanlyn by sekere e-winkels in Amerika. oppas dat jy nie op die ander post "The TROLLS are back in the spotlight" genoem word nie.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this sux becuase if I want something it is my choice where i want to buy it from. If I have friend at a car dealer and they are not "authorized" to sell a certain make but they can get it I will buy from him to give hime the commission. It just sounds like pricefixing to me.

Dirty Harry this is happening. Go to the Branfordbike website and you will see the links to complain against pricefixing. I wonder how many of the moaners here took the time off to go and look to see how these guys are fighting for their rights. most of the moungatte took this opportunity to crticise Shimano and praise their own brands.

H - Branford were barred from selling Shimano products about 2 years ago when they put up that moan.  They could still sell Shimano products at competitive prices but they need to register with Shimano and register the source of product.

Branford is a big sponsor of the Campyonly.com web site. Maybe there's some sour grapes involved here.

On a serious note, online shopping is a huge problem with some brands, with many refusing to have their products sold online. They want their products sold via dealers to ensure the correct level of service is achieved.

Exatcly why I posted this to draw the comparison between what happened to Marvuli and CWC.

Ah the chronicle has come the full circle!!!!! FULLFILLMENT!!!!!!!

After a long fight with one of the manufacturers and them threatening me with law suites. And me finding out that they can't sue me.

They told me well fine if you want to sell our products you do so at your own risk and the agents in SA will not have to honor any service agreements. Price fixing is illegal, so the "SRP" is a form of pricefixing. If I want to give everybody free bicycles I can do so, dumb, but I can if I want to.....wouldn't that be nice though.

After a long fight with one of the manufacturers and them threatening me with law suites. And me finding out that they can't sue me.

They told me well fine if you want to sell our products you do so at your own risk and the agents in SA will not have to honor any service agreements. Price fixing is illegal' date=' so the "SRP" is a form of pricefixing. If I want to give everybody free bicycles I can do so, dumb, but I can if I want to.....wouldn't that be nice though.
[/quote']

Ja, why don't you try it out as a marketing scheme. Write it off to advertising costs. I'll volunteer as your first client, i'll even pay for shipping. No, really, i don't mind at all.