1996 Tour

Turk182

Can someone clarify for me, if Riis has admitted to dopping does he lose his crown, if so, then Jan Ullrich becomes the new champion for 1996? So Jan now has two TDF's to his name...Big%20smile

Did Jan not also dope. Maybe the guy finishing last was the only clean rider and gets the win.

http://www.letour.fr/HISTO/images/us/tt_histo.gif

1996 - 83th Tour de France

From 29 juin to 21 juillet 1996

New search

http://www.letour.fr/HISTO/images/ligne.gif

Winner Bjarne RIIS
Number of stages 21
Distance 3907 km
Average speed 39.227 km/h
Winner prizes 2200000
Total prizes 12002250

http://www.letour.fr/HISTO/images/ligne.gif

PODIUM

1st - Bjarne RIIS (Team Deutsche TELEKOM)

2nd - Jan ULLRICH (Team Deutsche TELEKOM)

3rd - Richard VIRENQUE (FESTINA Watches)

Best team - FESTINA Watches

Off the www.letour.fr website, so it seems he is still the winner, I think they are just going to remove his name from the race guide this year...

Well they obviously don't think what he did was that bad as CSC are keeping him on as manager, i heard stories that he had to be kept awake at night because he was full of Epo and his blood was way to thick, so he could have passed away in his sleep.....the guys are crazy to take drugs....the truth always comes out...

Well they obviously don't think what he did was that bad as CSC are keeping him on as manager' date=' i heard stories that he had to be kept awake at night because he was full of Epo and his blood was way to thick, so he could have passed away in his sleep.....the guys are crazy to take drugs....the truth always comes out...

[/quote']

As far as I know (please correct me if wrong) Riis owns his own team and they are only sponsored by CSC.  So if they pull out, he (hopefully) will get a new one.

Well they obviously don't think what he did was that bad as CSC are keeping him on as manager' date=' i heard stories that he had to be kept awake at night because he was full of Epo and his blood was way to thick, so he could have passed away in his sleep.....the guys are crazy to take drugs....the truth always comes out...

[/quote']

Firstly CSC is not keeping Riis on as manager. Riis does NOT work for CSC. CSC is the main sponsor of Riis's team. Secondly - if you read the articles very carefully, you will/should pick up that CSC do not condone the doping which Riis admitted to. CSC however feels that Riis's contribution to anti-doping in cycling today is worth enough to not pull out as sponsor.

I agree with CSC's decision.
PokerFace2007-06-22 01:22:08

Did ASO not strip him of the title.....I'm sure I read this a week or two ago?

far as i understand it, the aso have taken the symbolic route of leaving a blank where the 1996 winner's name would be in all their media bumpf. however, they said at the time that only the uci could actually strip him of the title.

shaun, you're right. the team organisation's actually called riis cycling. csc pays for naming rights.

it's like discovery, who sponsor (unitl the end of the year) a team that is co-owned by tailwind sports and capital sports. lance has a quarter? share in one of these, i believe

Tour de France winner stripped (here's your answer)

07/06/2007 16:35  - (SA)

Paris - Denmark's Bjarne Riis, who has admitted to doping during his 1996 Tour de France victory, has been stripped of the title, race organisers said on Thursday.

Amaury Sport Organisation said a blank had been left after the 1996 winner in its annual race guide published in the run-up to the race, which this year starts in London on July 7.

ASO added: "It seems the UCI (cycling's world governing body) have asked him (Riis) to give back his yellow jersey and the rider himself does not consider himself worthy of it."

Riis is the first ever winner of the Tour to have admitted doping.

ASO added that they were still waiting for the decision by the American Anti-Doping Agency, and possible recourse to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, in the case of 2006 winner Floyd Landis.

"At the time of the printing of the guide, the competent authorities have still not ruled on the Floyd Landis case, who tested positive on the evening of the 17th stage," the 2007 guide states.

"Should he be found guilty of doping, he will be stripped of the title."

CSC releases internal testing results

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/news/jun07/jun22news/crit-timealt.jpg

Team CSC took the unprecedented step of releasing internal medical controls for its 28 riders today. The team's antidoping programme is touted as a novel and transparent process with three goals: "To catch cheaters and detect doping, to set entirely new standards for the future fight against doping and to maintain the health and integrity of the riders," according to the physician in charge of administering the regime, Dr. Rasmus Damsgaard.

The programme was credited with saving the team's sponsorship by computer company CSC after director Bjarne Riis admitted to using banned substances during his career. "We want to play a big part in creating a healthy future for cycling and with the implementation of this program as well as the test results being made public today, we have taken a giant leap in the right direction," said Riis.

The team issued a press release containing graphs which summarise the results of the tests, but lack more detail. The graphs chart the riders' haematocrit, haemoglobin, and "OFF" scores from December until the end of May. According to the document, "The OFF-score is an equation containing haemoglobin and reticulocytes (the immature red blood cell). By combining the two variables it is possible to determine whether an athlete has used EPO or even performed (autologous) blood transfusion procedures."

Most of the charts appear to have values in the range of the normal population with a few outliers. One rider returned a haemoglobin and haematocrit value near the UCI limits in December, but those values quickly declined to normal levels once the season started.

"It is known that haematocrit and haemoglobin is higher at the beginning of the competition season and then declining in well-trained athletes," explains the document. "In addition, the extent of non-sport specific modalities such as illness, high altitude training, use of hypoxic chambers, overseas flights etc. influencing blood variables is not easy to establish. Thus, the variations in some elite athletes may express higher values than for normal, healthy people."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/news/jun07/jun22news/offscore-timetn.jpg

The chart of the OFF-scores show all riders being well below the UCI limit of 133, and also below the Team CSC cut-off of 125.6 - a value suggested by the developers of the test.

According to the statement, the collection of test samples were carried out unannounced, and mainly out-of-competition (85% of all tests), and performed under WADA guidelines and analysed in WADA-accredited laboratories. The results have also been made available to the UCI, providing additional incentives for the riders to stay away from doping.

"The UCI has access to all testing plans and outcomes," said UCI president Pat McQuaid. "Results are managed by the UCI in accordance with UCI rules."

"More importantly, Team CSC is making genuine efforts to change its team culture so that riders no longer feel the need or pressure to dope. The combination of CSC's strong antidoping programme with their equally strong culture of hard, clean riding is certainly an example for other pro teams to follow," said McQu