WAshing you MTB

infernox

Ola all

I just want to find out how and when I should wash my mtb. I bought it about 3 months ago and have not washed it (+-120km's on it, mostly offroad), because the bike shop told me, mtb and water dont mix. (?)

when google'ing for a answer i got alot of contradictive answers and comment.

Could someone please clear this up for me.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bull!, if you keep it clean and lubed, it will last longer (at least the moving parts). I wash mine with car shampoo and normal hosepipe, DO NOT USE HIGH POWER WASHER.

Ok cool, thanx for the quick responce.

BTW this was Cajees in Roodepoort who told me this (after they installed my brothers shock the wrong way around....)

Could you go step by step thought this for me and advise me on when to wash.

Please keep in mind I ride mostly at night (cold) and once on a weekend.

OK now if there is one thing I feel very strong about then it is bike maintenance ! You should go and slap that bloke at the LBS silly for the advice he gave you . A dirty bike is an unhappy bike . And we know what unhappy bikes do , they break !!! My bike gets washed before each ride and I have been doing that for the last 4 years . I am yet to loose a bike due to drowning or rust ! If you don't feel like washing the frame after every ride at least make sure your DT is cleaned and lubed . Clean the shocks before a ride as well . every second month I will do a spring clean and strip down the bike .

Don't know what kind of a**hole told you not to wash your bike, but as Para says washing will ensure that your bikes parts will last.

I try to wash mine after every ride.

infernox, grab a bucket add water and dishwashing soap and a sponge/cloth. wash baby down thoroughly - remember the underside, they lurve having their bellys rubbed - then rinse using the garden hose. wipe down to remove excess water and take baby back to it's bedroom (we trust it sleeps inside). once dry remember to lube the chain. then let it relax and prepare for the next round of fun Wink

mtb and water dont mix. (?)

Ya, I know, I tried dissolving my bike in water, no luck... Confused

And pay attention to what SP said !!! Lube your bike once the chain is dry , don't lube your bike 10 minutes before the ride !!! The lube will not have time to go to where it suppose to go and will just make a mess when you cycle . RE high pressure washing !!! Not really a problem either we wash our bikes a lot at the North Farm bike park .

dry lube? mostly dry conditions....?

yes she does sleep inside, in the painting/art room of the house. nice and warm and gets sun every morning.

infernox, here's my BIG CLEAN routine:

1. Remove chain (I have a SRam link on).  Drop in engin cleaner.

2. Remove wheels.  Wash wheels and clean cluster (Park tool cluster cleaner thingy)

2. Spray worst mud/dust off.  DO NOT USE HIGH PRESSURE WATER!!!!

3. Clean chain blades with little degreaser and paint brush.  Keep the degreaser away from your BB!

4. Wash bike with Cleen Green (not Handy Andy!!).  Rinse off. (everything, handlebars, etc included!)

5. Let dry!  When bike dry, spray handy andy on frame (FRAME ONLY!!!) and wipe off.  Now the bike smells lekker and looks nice.

6. If you have V-Brakes, clean the braking surface on the wheels and the pad by using a VERY fine sandpaper (water skuurpapier) and going over the braking surface and pads once or twice.  If you have disc brakes, clean the rotors with some medical alcohol.  The pads are ok.

7. Put the wheels on, check that the chain is clean.  If clean, rinse once or twice with boiling water and sunlight liquid.  Now switch over to plain boiling water until the water stays clear after shaking.  Let the chain dry, put on your bike and lube well.

8. Lube the rest of the bikes moving parts.

9. Let stand overnight and ride the crap out of it the next day!

infernox, some os us swear by one lube some by another. my personal preference is squirt for the mtb and white lightning for road but other lubes are also good.

btw, welcome to the hub - you gonna post a pic of your bike on the "who are you where are you from..." thread? then we can see your baby.

Again be warned ' date=' EWEP only rides his bike once a year ! Squirt or go home .[/quote']

But I do know how to clean my bikes hey!