Ghetto TLS - Crossrides + Crossmark

bak2basiks

Ok.....has anyone got some advice or ideas with this combo?

I am doing the Ghetto tubeless on my bike. I have Mavic Crossride rims and Maxxis Crosmark non-ust tires.When pumping at the garage, I find no way to inflate this tire...Angry...The tire's sidewall is too far from the rim...

Has anyone had similar difficulty to get this tire to seat..? I out of ideas and need help....Ouch...

Ive also tried the same with rocket rons on speedisc rims with no luck. I successfully seated Larsen TT's before, but the schwalbes wont budge. Asked the LBS but wont help, as i'm "taking away business"

and i should rather slip him a grand and he'll do it for me. Ouch 
Funkman2010-02-17 09:06:20

what if you inflate the tyre to the max with a tube first. Leave it for a few days. This will settle the tyre in the new shape.

You can also try the following:

Smear some sealant along the beads of both sites of the tyre.

Mount the tyre and pull the sidewalls out  away from each other at the same time, as if trying to seat the tyre without using air. You will some times hear a click/pop sound as the bead pops into the rim side wall. Try this all the may round as best possible.  This tends to give the tyre a bit of a pre "seat" and less air escapes when trying to inflate for the firts time.

Give the tyre a blast with the compressor. If you have a removable core take it out to add extra air to the inflation.  Also push down compressing the tyre flat against the the rim by the valve. 

With a compressor the sidewalls should blow out towards the rim. What works best is to slowly role the tyre while inflating. Also you need to use lts of water and soap for the first time. Mamparas idea is also good if you cannot get it going. Just a side note on using non UST tyres - the sidewalls are very thin compared to UST and getting sidewall cuts is very easy. Also if you flat on a ride it is very difficult to inflate a tubeless non-UST if it went down all the way.

With a compressor the sidewalls should blow out towards the rim. What works best is to slowly role the tyre while inflating. Also you need to use lts of water and soap for the first time. Mamparas idea is also good if you cannot get it going. Just a side note on using non UST tyres - the sidewalls are very thin compared to UST and getting sidewall cuts is very easy. Also if you flat on a ride it is very difficult to inflate a tubeless non-UST if it went down all the way.

Always wondered about this issue. getting a flat on the ghetto tubeless can be a nightmare, therefor always carry a spare tube! Smile

Are Crossrides not tubeless rims?

Soap and water as has been mentioned above should help. Some tyres just dont work though.

what if you inflate the tyre to the max with a tube first. Leave it for a few days. This will settle the tyre in the new shape.

This seems like the best option. Its been sitting at max pressure with the tube inside for the last couple of days. I hope that it will work.

I used emmers and emmers vol soap water to get it to seat, but the soap did a better job at clamping the tire's sidewalls to eachother rather than to the rim...

I know, its not ideal having non-ust tires, but I've got no choice. Other commitments atm is keeping me from buy a pair of ust tires...when the time is right, I'll do it properly. Until then, I'm going to take my chances....The GF's ghetto conversion is still holding up well with non ust mountain kings on non-ust Halo rims....