CSA License and Social Racing

Dirtbreath

So I get a newsletter outlining the various options of 2010 licenses, their costs and validity.

I have seen various debates here mainly about peeps waiting endlessly for their cards but am still unsure what purpose this license serves for your average social mtb rider who does the occasional race.

I cannot recall an additional fee or discount should you be licensed at any recent events. Am I mistaken?

What does CSA do with the annual licensing fee? Cant say I'm happy to be told that I need a license to do a bit of social mtb riding.

If you want a donation to help support and grow the sport I will gladly contribute.

Please dont whine about your cards not getting to you.Embarrassed

Some races that are CSA races will charge you an additional R30 if you have not got a license . Those races I do not attend anymore . Most of us are "social" racers and I don't support CSA because they don't do anything for ME as a cyclist . The fee for a cyclo license is very small but if I pay for something then I want to see something in return . Rather donate the money to a fund that will buy a few mtb for the SAP patrolling the spruit and other areas . AND THE ONE YEAR I DID BUY A LICENSE I HAD TO WAIT A YEAR FOR A CARD !!!!

csa do nothing that you would notice.

I would not call them useless as they can always be held up as a bad example.

I challenge them to tell us what they do for us. Take our cash for zip then shaft you more 'csa levy' at the large races.

See the letters and editorial comment in latest and previous RIDE magazines for a bit more on this.

I can fully understand having this kind of structure for Pro's and competitive cyclists. CSA sanctioned events where Pro's race for national honours should have some sort of structure.

Is a license required to get a seedng at road races?

When it comes to MTB, CSA is kinda like RSA's Gova-ment.

They collect taxes but nothing visibly is done... and when someone stands up against them, for valid reasons, they are very quick to defend themselves and decided someones fate without listening to valid reasons or considerign that the person complainign is actually right.

Recently they gave a top rider a written warning after he complained when the race comm. yelled at him over the mic (at the startline, 10 mins before start) and send him all the way to the back of the field when he protested.  

Things like that... they collect money... but they do sweet ****'oll... in that specific race the top riders should've been seeded if CSA did what they are payed for, but instead their stupid 'click' of officials broke one of the favourites to win the race's racing spirit by publicly humiliating him... 

That's what they do for MTB in RSA... we need a new governing body for MTB in RSA... we need passionate people to run it, not the lazy 'holes currently running it...

I agree 100% with above... don't go to races supporting CSA...   

Then the riders should complain to the relevant CSA commission. They will only move forward if the people tells them what is wrong instead of just bitching and moaning

They (CSA) do so much for us??.. They sit at desks and think they are doing ?good things? for us. The reality is that to this date they have done nothing to better the situation regarding rider safety or to grow the sport. The only reason that MTB rides are growing in numbers is because of the advertizing of the local organizers of the events but because of the growing cost to enter the rides they will become less participated. I ride road and MTB but I do not see the point of the unnecessary cost on riders and for what.  When rugby, cricket are soccer players gets injured due to bad organization then their governing bodies  jump up and down but not the CSA or the PPA (in Cape Town). I have really had it with the bad management of the so called governing bodies. Every time you query the money issue you will be told that it goes to development but why do I pay TAX? I try and skip all rides that require me to pay the CSA a cent.  

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><FONT face=Calibri>They (CSA) do so much for us??.. They sit at desks and think they are doing ?good things? for us. The reality is that to this date they have done nothing to better the situation regarding rider safety or to grow the sport. The only reason that MTB rides are growing in numbers is because of the advertizing of the local organizers of the events but because of the growing cost to enter the rides they will become less participated. I ride road and MTB but I do not see the point of the unnecessary cost on riders and for what. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">?</SPAN>When rugby' date=' cricket are soccer players gets injured due to bad organization then their governing bodies<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">? </SPAN>jump up and down but not the CSA or the PPA (in Cape Town). I have really had it with the bad management of the so called governing bodies. Every time you query the money issue you will be told that it goes to development but why do I pay TAX? I try and skip all rides that require me to pay the CSA a cent. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">?</SPAN>[/quote']

I too will be boycotting any rides that will end up contributing to the csa from next year. they got me with a slap riem this year. R75 is nothing really but then a rather unpleasant surprise -affiliation fees! Another R75. I get nothing back that I see from either -so called - organisation!

Still not much but it is the principle of the whole thing.

And don't say development because my response is - stuff it! That does not benefit me or most of my fellow cyclists being ripped off by csa, cgc or whomever else had popped out the woodwork to ream us a new one this week or next.

I really have got to let this go it is doing me no good but I get so wound up about it.

The Affiliation fees is only levied by Gauteng though? I guess they do need to finance their swimming pools somehow

The Affiliation fees is only levied by Gauteng though? I guess they do need to finance their swimming pools somehow

Why you throw oil on the fire? Why? Why? Why?

smiley36.gif

You have to ask though why they're the only province doing so, and they're the only province using a manual system for the majority of their clubs.  I'll bet the reason is to shaft the cyclists for as much as possible while and not handing it over to the CSA. 

• 2 months later...

Its my first time applying for the CSA cycling licence and I was just wondering how long it takes untill u receive the card or licence?

I agree, see my earlier post on this issue.

The problem is however larger than CSA, more about money making by all roleplayers.

Enter four people for a two hour run and pay R120 to R160, enter oen person for a cycling raqe and pay atleast R150. Run has more watering poitns, more marshalls than the cycling race, the question now is where is the money going??

Its my first time applying for the CSA cycling licence and I was just wondering how long it takes untill u receive the card or licence?

LOLI Had to laugh DO NOT think for one minute you are going to get your licence soon!! And I have been ranting and raving a while now over this !!

Here is my advice to you.... Lots and I mean Lots of chill pills!!! Patience and maybe in 6 months you might get your licence !!! But don't hold your breath!!