The ABSA Epic on a single Speed !!!

racman

Got the new Ride mag yesterday and saw an article on "Shaun Webster" from Western Cape who completed the Epic on a single speed MTB. Anyone know more ? (Amazing achievement, depending on the gear ratio of course Big%20smile)

Some might say mad. I felt sorry for those on hardtails, but no gears and no suspension, you must have a seriously misplaced sense of self preservation. But great achievement.

Does anyone know if they changed gear ratios for the different stages?

Some might say mad. I felt sorry for those on hardtails' date=' but no gears and no suspension, you must have a seriously misplaced sense of self preservation. But great achievement.

Does anyone know if they changed gear ratios for the different stages?

[/quote']

"I Quote Shaun Webber"

"Riding my trusty steel Inbred, with old school track ends at the rear and rigid cromo "superlight" forks, comfy Mary bars for me with some chunky ESI grips and the combination was amazing at keeping my hands in control. Despite the inevitable battering one gets running fully rigid. We added fat 2.4 UST Vredestein Killer Bee Tyres, heavy but with incredible dry conditions performance, were thorn-proof and rolled down hills faster than the gearies. Shimano XT 180mm cranks, Bontrager seat, Easton seatpost, Time pedals, Mavic UST wheels, Avid brakes(disc in front) made up the rest of the kit. Small, lethal black bells helped us wage psychological warfare. Chris was kitted out with Independent Fabrications frame and rigid fork We ran gearing of 32x19 or in my case 36x21 and, though tempted to change the gearing for the various stages, we never did and stuck with this ratio throughout. "