Why (oh why, oh why) are you selling!?

MildlyWild

Is it just me or does it drive anybody else nuts when people (often a few times in the same for sale section) keep on asking "Why are you selling"?

Do they really expect to hear

"Cause this bike sucks!"

or

"Cause there's this really nasty crack in the rim that I hope you don't see" or

"Cause I was a stoopid ass when I bought this R30k bike when I can hardly cover my rent, and now I need the money to keep the sheriff from handing me over to be flogged"

Honestly, just accept that most people are

1) simply not using the thing and can use the cash better

2) upgrading to something better/lighter/more suited

3) selling cause they got a good deal somewhere and can now make some money quickly

Eish.  That's my rant for the year.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a stupid question unless its clearly a piece of crap. If I see a really nice piece of equipment and the guy is trying to flog it I certainly want to know why. Sometimes it is pretty obvious though.

Pah.

Lousy rant. Slightly messy layout and no real sense of anger. I'd give that a 3/10. I'd have given you a 4, possibly even a 5 but you forgot to complain about the sycophants who post "Gee dude, great price!" or the butt-cracks who point out that they can buy the same thing brand new at their LBS for 25% of the seller's asking price.

You really can do better.

I especially enjoy the "wish it was a medium" (even though there is no way in hell that I could afford it) posts.

Pah.

Lousy rant. Slightly messy layout and no real sense of anger. I'd give that a 3/10. I'd have given you a 4' date=' possibly even a 5 but you forgot to complain about the sycophants who post "Gee dude, great price!" or the butt-cracks who point out that they can buy the same thing brand new at their LBS for 25% of the seller's asking price.

You really can do better.
[/quote']

for a mini-rant about a non-rant, that ain't half-bad.

Got to say, good point (IMO), could have more emotion though (the topic name is very good tho!) If you want it, buy it! It doesn't matter why they're selling it (unless you are expecting them to say, they are selling their S-woks sprechulized tramac with Rekord Camfangolo Super with carbon neck and steering bar for R4k because it's stolen!)

yeah, cause i washed my bakkie last night and now its gonna get dirty again and the mtb is in the shop and I don't feel like messing up my roadbike

or the question...where is the couch?

I agree, the couch question is just way past its sell buy date.

I get so worked up by people not answering their messages - not even to say thanks but no thanks. You went to the time to post an ad, i went to the time to respond - have the courtesy to respond in turn.

Nice thread.

People ask cuz it's the thing to do, it just doesnt get you anywhere.  If someone is selling for a dubious reason they're not going to tell you (duh).

It's like asking someone "are you a liar".

But it still has to be done.

I think the "butt-cracks" who point out that the item can be bought new, cheaper are performing a public service and I'd support them over the "butt-cracks" trying to get a new or nearly new price for old stuff.

so everyone?are butt cracks then?

Never thought of it that way but.... you are right - but so is Joe Low.