Majik - we need YOU

Rapunzel

Those in opposition to mountain biking in Majik Forest have called a public meeting with Andrea Crous (our local councillor) to discuss matters regarding The Majik Forest.

Date: Thurs 18 February

Time : 18h30

Place: The Park at Botriver Street Protea Valley

Matters to be discussed:

1 Green Areas

2 Safety

3 Projects

4 Public Participation

5 Election of Committee

Bring your own folding chair or better still, bicycle! Refreshments will be available.

Remember this meeting has been called by those in opposition to Mountainbiking in Majik Forest!

It is imperative that all riders (not just Tygerberg Club members) concerned about the continued use of the Majik Forest as a facility attend this meeting. Please also inform your friends about the it.If nothing else, we need a show of force to enable us to get voted onto the committee if necessary!

There is an official De Grendel Sub-Council meeting scheduled for the first of March to discuss the topic, making your voice heard here will help down the line.

I am a resident next to Majik Forest and it is the first time I hear of this. Some grumpy old men out there that's got nothing better to do? Andrea Crous is a very compotent Councillor and she will handle it level headed.

maybe we can swing the concern from getting mountain bikers out of majik to getting the bergies out of majik and doing another clean up. But the more of us the merrier :-)

maybe we can swing the concern from getting mountain bikers out of majik to getting the bergies out of majik and doing another clean up. But the more of us the merrier :-)

while researching the bikejacking feature in the latest issue, i came across this release from last year.

BACK
Press Releases - 01 September 2009

ADT assists community in cleaning up Majik Forest

The community of Van Riebeecks Hof, Oude Westhof and surrounding regions have united with ADT Security in an effort to clean up the Majik Forest on Saturday, 22 August.

Est?e Louw, Chairperson of Vallei Komittee said: ?The reason for the cleanup is that there are an estimated 170-180 vagrants living in the Majik Forest. In the last few months residents have complained that the forest is becoming a health hazard with the accumulation of years of litter. The community have decided to come together to clean up the bush from all rubbish.?

ADT Security provided radios, reflector bibs and armed response officers to patrol with the community as they conducted the clean-up operation, while Checkers Willowbridge Mall sponsored refreshments.

James Thornhill-Fisher, Chairman of Tygerberg Mountain Bike Club said: ?The Majik Forest Mountain Bike trail is considered a gem although it?s small track, only 12 km long it offers a unique experience for riders. Due to the increase in mountain biking, pedestrian and dog traffic in the forest, the Club has started with actions to try and prevent conflict between the different groups using the area.

?These actions include marking out different routes to enhance traffic flow and spread riders more evenly throughout the area, thereby enhancing safety and enticing riders off the jeep track sections to allow more space for pedestrians,? said Thornhill-Fisher.

Patrick Hall, ADT Security?s Senior Community Safety Liaison said: ?ADT Security already works closely with the local neighbourhood watch schemes and home owners associations in the area. The Majik Forest is a recreational area for the community that needs to be preserved so that residents feel safe.?

Andrea Crous, DA Ward Councilor, thanked the community for talking part in the cleanup operation and said: ?The Majik Forest is a beautiful recreational area for the community to enjoy. Today is an important first step in claiming back community space.?

Louw added that the Majik Forest has the third best Mountain Biking Trail in the Western Cape next to Tokai Forest and Jonkershoek, Stellenbosch. ?We are in discussions with council to make it a win-win situation for mountain bikers and residents to walk and cycle at the same time to enjoy the Majik Forest,? said Louw

Adrian Good, Regional Managing Director of ADT Security Western Cape said: ?This was an ideal opportunity for ADT Security to contribute to the safety of those who use the Majik Forest. The forest is for recreation purposes, and we are pleased to build on our strong relationships with community groups in the area.?

Majik forest night ride.

Park at SPAR parking lot at 18:00, Ride to

Botrivier park, after meeting we go through to the forest.

If

meeting takes too long we leave at 20:00 so expect a late ride. Perhaps

we buy a pizza and take it to the park for snacks.

I shall be there on my road bike! I have spoken to quite a few people and they will all be there.

This is good. We need to show presence.

I am also interested to hear WHY they would like us out of there?

there have probably been a few close calls with us coming through the forest at pace. We've arranged for bikes to only access the forest side of the dam (ie not on the grassed area on the other side) to reduce the chances of accidents. No single group can lay claim to the area and we need to ensure sufficient representation.

I have spoken to quite a few road riders and they have all agreed that they will be there because if they ban MTB riding in some areas then it will not be long before someone decides to ban Road riding in some areas like Camps Bay main road. Snoek2010-02-16 03:49:03

What is the main reason for people opposing MTB in the forest?

We'll find this out.

The problem is I always start the night ride from SPAR side as its safer to park our cars there. We are not allowed along the far side of the dam which means we will have to cycle on the road to get to the vineyard side of Majik... in  the dark of winter.

With respect to them not wanting us there i can understand but then who will maintain the paths and bushes. Possiby we should stay out the forest for a TRIAL month and see how bad things get in there.

I will wait for thursday night

got mail now,,,,, its a street braai and not what was said

From: Tygerberg mtb Club [mailto:mountainbiker@bikingsa.net]
Sent: 16 February 2010 11:23 AM
To: mountainbiker
Subject: Fw: The REAL invitation to the REAL meeting! cd
Importance: High
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Kind regards,

Adrian Winsor
Secretary,Tygerberg Mountainbike Club
mountainbiker@mweb.co.za
www.tygerbergmtb.co.za
072 852 8272

----- Original Message -----

To: mountainbiker

Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:19 AM

Subject: The REAL invitation to the REAL meeting!

On behalf of all concerned I would like to apologise for any alarm created over the 'PUBLIC MEETING' that was called for Thursday evening. It is in fact a Street Braai organised by Andrea Crous for residents of Protea Valley, agenda see below. The email and agenda circulated last night came from a resident known for his stance against cyclists and who thought it would be helpful, but over-embelished the details, widened it's remit and caused a great deal of alarm all round!  

For your responses, Thankyou! It's great to know that support is there if and when we need it (and that day may yet come). 

Here is the full invitation. If you live in Protea Valley, you are, of course, welcome, expected even,  to join in! The rest of us may stand down.

Alle inwoners word genooi na ?n samekoms om sake rakende u

omgewing te bespreek.

All residents are invited to a get together to discuss matters

regarding your area.

DATUM:  Do. 18 Februarie /

DATE: Th.18 February

PLEK:     Die park in Botrivierstraat.

PLACE:  The park at <?: prefix = ns0 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />

Botrivier Street

TYD:  18:30 /    TIME:  18:30

AGENDA

Inligting i.v.m. die Stad / Information about the City

Groen areas    /   Green areas

Veiligheid    /    Safety

Projekte van die Vallei- Komitee / Projects of the Valley Committee

Publieke deelname / Public Participation

Verkiesing van komitee/ Election of committee

Dit is ook ?n geleentheid om nuwe mense te leer ken! /

It is also an opportunity to meet new people!

Bring asb. u eie stoel.  /  Please bring your own chair

Verversings word bedien/ Refreshments will be served!

Boerewors dogs/Hamburgers/Salad

Coffee & tea

Navrae / Inquires:

Andrea Crous                                   

Raadslid Wyk 70 /

Councillor Ward 70

082 2183383

... and I suppose they won't like us gatecrashing the street braai. Chrispy and Brussell - you both live in the area. Maybe it's worth joining the street braai anyway and find out if there's anything on the cards that we can assist with regarding cleaning up of majik and making it safe again.

Hi Guys,

Yep some old farts have nothing better to do with their time except complain!!

I wonder if they know that if it wasn't for the cyclists in and around majic there would be far more break-in's in the area.

It was a mtbiker who alerted our friends, who stay against the fence just above majic, that bergies were trying to break in to their house while they were home!

... and I suppose they won't like us gatecrashing the street braai. Chrispy and Brussell - you both live in the area. Maybe it's worth joining the street braai anyway and find out if there's anything on the cards that we can assist with regarding cleaning up of majik and making it safe again.

Why not????? Let?s just go for a ride though the street and then we beg for food.