Front Derailleur Chain Guide

desmondalie

Does anyone have any experience with using this? I keep on dropping my chain when shifting to the small chainring. Saw this picture or George Hincapie's bike on Pezcycling. Anyone know where I can get one of these?

20100216_062650_bmccamp-ghbikeg.jpg

It all depends on the frame. The "dog fang" will not work on oversize BB areas.

You can just make your own out of a piece of alu or someone with some knowledge of carbon fibre.

20100216_074758_chainguide.jpg

So a dog fang will not work on my specialized SL2 then?

Well I set my own gears - maybe thats why its always dropping.

Dropping a chain on the inside ring is normally because of the limiter screw. It must be set so that cage just clears the chain when you are on the biggest gear (size not number).

I've never dropped a chain. If your gears is set properly it shouldnt happen.

I disagree. On some frame and groupset combinations it's impossible to prevent the the chain from occassionally dropping.

On one of my bikes, the relative position of the components is such that the chain will rub in the 39-25 combination, even with the limit screw all the way out. I cannot move the cage any further in without adversely affecting normal shifting. The chain still drops if I'm careless in my down shifting.

Dropping a chain on the inside ring is normally because of the limiter screw. It must be set so that cage just clears the chain when you are on the biggest gear (size not number).

Haven't you got that the wrong way round (unless you mean biggest at the back)?

You set the L-limit so that the inner FD plate just clears the inner chain plates when the chain is on the innermost chainring and cassette sprocket.

Edman2010-02-16 09:35:23

Look these work, they are fiddly to set up but work... the euro pros use them especially for the rough roads they ride on ie cobble stones etc I personally have never felt the need for one...