does components make a differance

foxy25

does the components of a bike make one perform better?

Eg. Better parts on the bike make u ride better than on a bike that has say entry level parts (acera)?

That depends on your level of riding.

My experience is that a good front shock makes a difference. Hydraulic disks make a difference, gears only make a difference if you're going to push it hard or if you're concerned about weight. The rest (saddle, handlebar, cranks, etc) is personal preference IMHO.

Guest Agteros

A decent mountain bike shock sure does make a difference. Decent MTB brakes as well...

I tried going down Sani pass with a coil spring Suntour shock and cable disk brakess, and I do not have those on the bike anymore smiley2.gif I had to WALK/RUN the first two kilometers from the top as I did not trust my components.

Fork replaced with a Reba Race and the brakes replaced with Juicy 7s

that makes sence' date=' so what bikes (not the really expensive ones) has?a?good shock[/quote']

define price range. tora's decent from rock shox

I'd say not only the quality of the components, but also making sure you have the right components. On my DH bike my chain used to jump and slip endlessly during runs, I was running an XT rear mech. After changing to Saint, not a days trouble, the harder spring reduces the chain slap and increases the tension in the chain.

Better components definately make YOUR ride better, but don't necessarily make YOU ride better...

Nothing annoys me more than a bike that shifts when its not supposed to and wont shift when I need it to. A cheap drive train and shifters can work well when set up right but they just don't seem to stay that way for very long.

And once you have tried a decent fork it is very hard to go back to riding an el cheapo one.

Its all marketing hype. V-brakes work like a charm, nothing worng with a rigid fork either. I know some guys who lock out there forks when going down (relying on blow off valve). With that said I have upgraded from a sid 80 to a reba 100 (now 120) and my riding has become worse only because i now try to jump/ride over every bump instead of going around it.

Try doing those jumps on a rigid fork. Of course there is nothing wrong with a rigid fork until you try to jump with one. Or descend Mapoepallankal mountains on one. Or slam through a really rocky river crossing. Or...

Coming to think of it, I glad my fox fork believes the hype LOL

My aluminium full suspension bike weighs two kg less than my alu hardtail and that weight difference is mainly in the fork and wheels.

A good quality fork will weigh much less than a cheap one but where you can take a lot of weight off is the wheels. But light, strong wheels cost a small fortune Angry