Noisy creeking seatpost

Guest coenie

Help, I have a creaking seat post, I have taken the saddle of, and greased the

rails, greased the tilting mechanism at the top of the seat post and the seat

post where it goes into the frame.

Frame is a Anthem 1, NOT X with the

standard seat post.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Spelcheck done

:-)

coenie2010-02-17 01:42:31

creaking could perhaps be coming from your saddle itself where the rails go into the plastic moulding. mine creaked there & just a teency bit Q20 where the rails go into the moulding & the creaking should vanish. Otherwise for a more long term waterproof effect but more work use a sewing pin & jam as best you can a bit of vaseline inbetween the gap of the rail & moulding. It wont be easy as that gap isnt very big but a pin should do the job

Pretty sure, I took it out and jumped on the bike making the suspension work etc, no problem. 

I've got an entry level GIANT and same problem, found two problems:

#1) Seat clamp was not tight enough.

#2) Was coming from the seat and originaly suspected the OEM seat post but found it was actually my seat that was screwed. Bought the PlanetX saddle and never a creak again.

EDIT: If it only creaks when you sit then its the seat/seatpost/clamp

Rare occasion it will be your cleats (just a mention)

cbrunsdon2010-02-17 02:18:36

hmmmmm strange

dont know if you tried this maybe but try putting a light coat of grease on the inner tube where the seatpost slides in. You did say you already put on the seatpost itself so thats sorted. It could possibly be extremely dry in there

Just a thought ?.....If not then im out of advise
BumpNgrind2010-02-17 02:19:35

Help' date=' I have a creaking seat post, I have taken the saddle of, and greased the

rails, greased the tilting mechanism at the top of the seat post and the seat

post where it goes into the frame.Frame is a Anthem 1, NOT X with the

standard seat post.Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. Edit: Spelcheck done:-)[/quote']

I had a creaking seatpost on my Carbon GT Marathon. My creak originated from where the post inserts into the frame.

I found when I applied a bit of grease the creaking stopped. But then the seatpost would slip down - about 1 to 2cm each time I rode it. Very annoying having to stop and raise it all the time.

Wiping off the grease prevented the slipping but then the creak would return.

I tried all sorts of lubricants - Q20, Squirt, even hairspray as recommended on another forum. All of these stopped the creaking for a while but still the post would slip down.

Then I came across a suggestion to try chalk.

So I grabbed a stick of my daughters blackboard chalk and applied it liberally to the bottom part of the seatpost.

It worked - no more creaking and no more slippage.